Thursday, August 06, 2009

Transformer 2

The movie Transformers 2 got some pretty craptacular reviews.

But let me tell you--my own Transformer 2 experience rocked!

I showed up for work at 8:45 a.m. today. I had to drive through scenic Newark because my usual road leading to the building was blocked off with every emergency vehicle imaginable.

Ends up there was another underground transformer fire--about the same distance away from our building as as a little over a month ago, but in the opposite direction this time.

Yikes man. Yikes. I am NEVER walking over those transformer grates again. Or if I do, I'm going to at least carry some hotdogs in my pocket so I can at least have lunch.

Luckily, this time no one was hurt.

The best part about today? At 8:55 a.m. the power went out in our building!! They let us go home after making us stay for 2 hours.

Man, it was like Lord of the Flies there for a while. Chatty Cathy was getting a little crazy because the A/C was obviously not working and she was hot flashing. Others were freaking out because they couldn't get there morning coffee. Another group was miffed they had to climb five or six flights of stairs to get to work.

Granted the stairwells were dark (somehow has to be a fire code violation) and many of the hens when we left at 11:00 a.m. went down in groups with flashlights.

I chose to go it alone. I always take the stairs and I can tell you exactly how many steps are on each landing--10, except for the first flight going up, there's 13. I merely counted the steps down on my way out.

I'm sure I probably pissed someone off doing this. But what if I was blind? Do you prevent blind people from going down stairs? That seems discriminatory in some way.

But I got to have a fun day at home with the boys!

100_7497
Check out those two teeth!

I kind of hate these spontaneous days off though. I know there's a ton of things I could be doing that I never can do on weekends--but I can never remember what they are on days like this!

I did get one thing finished though.

100_7507

Any guesses?

100_7509

That's right. I frogged Shitty Empire.

Now I've got a big ball of yarn that's starting to pill even worse and is full of knots. Seriously, what a waste. It's too nice a yarn to throw out--but I'm very tempted. Maybe I'll ply it with something and make a barfy "art" yarn or something.

Here's another highlight to my day though--look what Beth sent me in the mail from a recent thrift store venture:

100_7514

A Yarn Forward magazine, an old Spinnerin, and a Crafty Mama Baby/Toddler book. Very cool! Thank you Beth for the cherry on top of my great day!

Here's the part that cracked me the hell up--

I'm flipping through the Yarn Forward Magazine, and come to the Book Review section.

What should greet me?

100_7515

They reviewed Custom Knits. Not a big deal, but what are the chances the interior shot of the book would be of Shitty Skinny Empire? Ha ha! This sweater will not die!!!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

yippee for unexpected days off!! I got off 2 hours early today and it made me feel like I had a whole free day!!
The baby is getting so big. Don't you just love those baby teeth!

9:35 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

I was wondering why I didn't hear from you at all at work today! Lucky! Um, I'm just throwing this out there, but that color of yarn...would match a certain JRT's collar perfectly. And he really looks good in green. And he's a dog, he's not going to be upset if his sweater pills. I know, I know! I still need to measure him for you.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous MNKNIT said...

no, not THAT sweater. unreal. How did karma do that? Anywhoo, glad the package arrived on a bonus day. I need me one of those soon.
Beth

10:29 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I'm glad you frogged the sweater. Can you make some matching hats for Chunky and Moochy? Kids don't mind pilly yarn.

I really like yarn forward magazine. 'cept it's darn expensive here in the US. I'll add that to my (recently ever growing) list of reasons to go back to the UK!

Moochy looks great btw. He's gotta be on solids by now right?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

What's the yarn, Bezz? Does it felt? Something felted would make the pills work for you, maybe...

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!! I get just the oppisite...I get called in to work on my days off, and have to put off doing things. But on the bright side I get an extra 4 hours of pay.
As birdie said that yarn would look good in a sweater on a certain JRT and would match his collar.
I know where you got the counting stairs from....I do it all the time, Yes I did it in the subway when you and the boys gave me the Bezzie tour of NY!
Oh! I can see those cute little white pearlies!!
Love, Mom

9:11 AM  
OpenID viewfromlittlecreek said...

With the power off they couldn't grumble about twitter being offline... try listening to that for awhile :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

I love power outages :)

And I love even more that you frogged that baby. Now you can use it on something else.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

you have a magic touch with transformers, apparently!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I remember when we had a hurricane hit a few years ago, and I had to go into lab to check on the freezers (and find out that the emergency generator was fried). Up and down eight floors, 22 steps each floor. In the PITCH dark because some moron from the neighboring department stole our damn flashlight. I love walking down stairs in the dark ;-)
I love the Moochie teeth. I miss the 'two front teeth' gummy smile days...

1:37 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I saw the first Transformers movie on DVD and am bitter I won't get that 2.5 hours back.

Make felted dryer balls! They'd work great as kitty/Moochie toys, too.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I finished my Playmate sweater and love it. It finished up nicely and looks great on my daughter. I want to make the tank top.

It sucks that you did all that work and then frogged the whole thing.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I'd rather go down dark steps than sit in the office waiting for the lights to go on. Yay for a day off!

That cutie baby of yours looks perpetually happy. I love it!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Getting to go home early makes the power outage worthwhile!

The first place my husband and I lived together was an 18 story high rise apartment complex. Our last apartment was on the 16th floor (we lived in 3 different apartments). The power went out one evening right before I got off the bus on my way home, and I ended up having to walk the 16 flights of stairs to get up to my apartment. Luckily the stairwells were lit by the emergency generator.

It's a good thing I was thin back then, because if I was overweight like I am now, those16 flights would have probably given me a heart attack!

I used to get irritated when people (young, healthy people - not elderly or disabled) would crowd the elevator getting on the elevator from the 2nd or 3rd floors, like it would kill them to take the stairs once in a while.

8:32 PM

8:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! Yeah, I wouldn't be walking over those grates either! Great ideas for using that yarn! Toys for the boys! Hate it when expensive yarns end up pilly!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Good riddance to that sweater!

Now that you know the yarn doesn't hold up well, maybe use it for hats and scarves and such, that don't take as much abuse?

9:47 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That is one creepy clown on the Spinnerin book.

8:56 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Don't worry about not utilizing your unexpected day off to its fullest. It's the time equivalent of "Found Money," so there's nothing wrong with spending it the way you want to!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home