Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Two Dogs, One Cat, Two Cousins & A Sweater

I think I've mentioned this here before, but my sisters and I email each other--a lot.

We're all "grown ups" now with our grown up jobs and we're all over the country.

T. is lives in the 'Nati (what cool kids call Cincinnati) and is a wordsmith writing copy for the back of paper towel and Hershey bar packages.

Youngest Younger Sister is following in a proud family tradition of sucking on the teat of Uncle Sam and works for the Army Corps of Engineers back in Alaska.

When I'm not busy wiping the noses of my four needy attorney bosses (why yes, I did have Big Boss call me twice yesterday at home looking for a file he needed...that was where it was supposed to be--in the file room), and T.'s not busy butting heads with various other advertising monkeys that try to inhibit her creative wordsmithing, and Youngest Younger Sister isn't canoeing around lakes in Anchorage taking snapshots of people's backyard boat docks, we email each other while we should be working.

I know during one of my email threads with Youngest Younger Sister we got onto the topic of her new puppy Eddie, and the cold weather coming up soon in Alaska.

Here's an older picture of him when they first got him a few months ago.

EddieFace

He's a Jack Russell Terrier.

Kinda just wanna eat him up don't you?

Anyway, he had a raincoat, but no sweater.

So I told Youngest Younger Sister I would knit Eddie a sweater.

I was too impatient to wait for Eddie's measurements and Youngest Younger Sister couldn't find her tape measure anyway so I just cast on.

I decided instead to use this photo as my guide to help me make the right size.

CrispyDoodle

See that dog? That's my Younger Younger Brother's Jack Russell Terrier Crispy. Next to Crispy is his son--(my nephew and Chunky and Moochie's cousin)--who I will call Blue Face Lester. If you knew his real name and you are a spinner, you'd understand that esoteric blog name.

Blue Face Lester is approximately 2 weeks younger than Moochie, and Crispy is about a year older than Eddie.

Crispy I guess is a long-legged Jack Russell and Eddie is a short-legged one.

Using the picture of Blue Face Lester and Crispy, I decided that when I put Moochie up next to Springs--I figured Eddie had to be about the sameish size as Springs since Moochie and Blue Face Lester are pretty much the same size.

100_7607

Can you see where I'm going with this?

100_7608
Woman, you'd better not be thinking what I think you're thinking!

Yes, I knit Eddie a sweater.

100_7606

And yes, I used Springs as my fitting guide.

100_7610
Damn you woman!

The details:

Pattern: Long Sleeve Turtle Neck Dog Sweater (yay! I re-found the blog the pattern was posted on!)

Yarn: My favorite yarn ever--TLC Cotton Plus in White and Moss.

Needles: US6

Notes: Well written pattern. The only part that was confusing was the decreases after the leg-holes. If I was a newbie knitter or perhaps an inhibited knitter that didn't like to modify patterns, I would have run into a wall there.

It fit Springs pretty good. It was a little tight around his belly going on. But he's an old man. We estimate him to be close to 12 to 13, maybe 14. He's let himself go a bit. The only lady he's interested in impressing anymore is the blanket you see here under him. He likes to hump it when I'm lying under it at night. Nothing like waking up to being violated by a feline at 2:00 a.m.

100_7609

Wow, if looks could kill.

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

Anonymous birdie said...

Oh my goodness! That sweater is going to look so good on EddieFace! Thank you so much! I can't wait to take him on winter walks now! I'll be sure to send you pictures of him sporting it around :D

8:14 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Springs is going to kill you in your sleep tonight if he gets half a chance. I'd sleep with one eye open, Missy.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

OMG. That is one seriously cranky cat. Poor Springs.

And good heavens you people make cute babies! BFL there is almost as adorable as your two! ;)

9:00 PM  
Blogger Amby said...

Too cute!!! I put Mickey in sweaters during the winter but I don't bother with Jerry since he just looks for the nearest puddle of icy mud to roll around in when I try.

Springs...wow, I didn't even know that CATS hump too!!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Best. Picture. Ever. My cats would scratch me bloody if I ever tried to put a sweater on them. Thanks for giggle.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

oof what a look. i dont know how or when, but I think that cat's gonna get you back somehow!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

So, when are you going to knit the cat a sweater? I think he's just mad because he knows it's not for him, and that color just totally brings out the green in his eyes ;).

9:40 PM  
Blogger lkmanitou said...

Coming out of long time lurkdom to say best post evar! :)

9:59 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Cute sweater!

But I'd sleep with one eye open tonight... that kitty is lookin' pretty vengful.

10:33 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wow! Are you brave! I can't imagine putting any of my current cats into a sweater. The color does look great on him, though!

11:00 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

OMG!! NOt only did you knit a dog sweater (my sister says she would kill me if I knit the doggies sweaters!), but you made kitty model it!! LOVE IT!!! And such great photos!

1:45 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I got that same look from Ripple both times I used him as a model. Hehehehe. He may have hated it, and so did Springs, but we got a laugh out of it didn't we?

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If looks could kill...Springs had that look. Watch out!

I'm sure Eddie will look great & keep warm in his sweater. What a lucky dog.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:54 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Poor Springs - cute sweater, though. It'll look adorable on Eddie, I'm sure. And he probably won't look at the camera anywhere NEAR that menacingly. Hopefully.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That poor kitty. But hahahhahahhahaha!!!

The sweater is really cute!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Boy! If looks could kill!!! It is not just going to be humping and waking you at 2AM!!!
EddieFace will look cute in that sweater with the Big Cheese on the other end of the leash!
Love, Mom

8:43 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I would hate to be on that cat's "S" list. Humping is going to be the least of your worries.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice sweater! I tremble to think of what you did to get it on the model.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

That could be called abuse of the elderly. Poor kitty!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

You're the only person I know who would use a cat to model a doggie sweater! I would worry about what that cat would do to you in your sleep now! That one picture of Lester and Crispy is seriously adorable.

10:01 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

cats in sweaters are the most awesomeist thing EVER. especially how they always look like they are going to smother you in your sleep.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Hee, very cute! The baby is adorable!

11:24 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

WOW, that is one PISSED OFF cat! Nice sweater, though! Good effort!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wooo, tat cat is going to get you one day! You can see it in his face, LOL.

The sweater is adorable and I'm impressed with all the effort you made to avoid waiting for measurements!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Too funny! I can't believe the cat let you put a sweater on him! My cat is declawed in the front, and she's still managed to scratch (and bite) me a bunch of times, just for petting her. I can't imagine trying to get a sweater on her! I think she and Springs would get along good, and hey, they both have "S" names - she's named Stormy!

By the way, last night I dreamt I took my kids to the circus, and ran into you and Dr. M.S., and Chunky there, and I told you I recognized you from your blog - how funny is that?! I still have no clue why I dreamt that of all things!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Oh, no! Is your face still attached? Are you OK? Or has Eddie ripped it off as revenge for shoving him into the sweater?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Cute laundry Moochie and cute nephew. Maybe you should trim the cat's claws, you mean catmom, you. At least Springs doesn't have to wear the sweater after it smells like Eddie.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Haha! What a riot! Yeah, I'd be keeping an eye on Springs now ;)

9:41 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

That is one seriously PO cat - I love that photo, and I can see your logic x

2:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Kitty in a doggie sweater! Priceless! Also a violation of the natural order. I think. Kitty KNOWS

6:23 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

You might wanna watch your back for a few days. Springs looks...vengeful.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

OMG, is that a cute pup!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

This is one of your most creative and funniest posts! LOVE IT! You're crazy to put that sweater on that cat. My cat would scratch the shit outta me. But it's absolutely adorable.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home