Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy

Ripped straight from the school events calendar for our school district--a "rainbow" graph showing the "21st Century Student Outcomes."

100_7724

Yeah--obviously a life and career skill isn't taking 2 minutes to proofread your work before it goes to the publisher.

I swear to Squash.

Speaking of produce. I canned my apple butter yesterday.

Basically I took 4 lbs of this:

100_7719

The skins and apple cores from my applesauce apples, put them in my crockpot overnight with about 1/4 gallon of apple cider.

When I woke up, I strained the apple slurry thru a strainer into my stewpot. This was time consuming.

Then I reduced the apple butter until it was "ready" (i.e. when you dab a bit of it on a plate after a minute or two it doesn't separate into solid and liquid). This took about 2.5 hours--of constant stirring. Pursuant to the hippie organic food preserving pamphlet that Dr. Mad Scientist scored me for free a few months ago, the constant stirring was to prevent scalding.

So how much does 4 lbs of apple peels and cores and approximately 3.5 hours of work (13.5 if you count the crockpot time) get you in apple butter?

100_7717

2.5 pints. (The half pint just went straight into the fridge--no official canning).

I've got 4 more pounds of cores and peels in the freezer. I might just toss 'em in the compost pile!

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Too funny about that misspelling - it's glaringly obvious, ha, ha!

How do you manage to find so much time for all that baking and canning and apple-butter making with two little kids at home? I'm impressed! I can barely make a sandwich without one or both of my kids interrupting me!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Oh man, what an example for the kids, huh?

I've never tried apple butter but it sounds delicious (and time consuming).

6:56 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

how exactly is apple butter different from apple sauce. And why can't you use the peels in apple sauce? (I've never made either)

You can try blending the other peels and adding them into muffins or something like that for extra fiber.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

rr in place of r changes the entire meaning of a word en EspaƱol.
I was going to send you a pic of the bill we received this summer for 3 cents, 'cause I though you might enjoy it. It was shredded by el jefe before I could snap it.

I had no idea that is how you make apple butter. I though it was made from applesauce that was overcooked.

7:39 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Holy schnikies, that's a lot of work for not a whole lot of product! I would have punted way before I had finished apple butter. Go, you!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Jelly! Cores and peels make jelly!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Bummer on all that time and so little to show for it! I like Rebel's idea of adding it to something else..or ya know, the compost pile will love it ;)

9:48 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

Compost denizens LOVE apple cores and peels, as do squirrels when the weather gets cold.

Although with that titty bar across the way, I don't think your neighbourhood needs to attract any more vermin...

Maybe you should make a carreer study out of perfecting the apple butter proccessis...

1:06 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'll bet the Engrish teacher proofed it :). Spell check is a girl's best friend...

But how's the apple butter taste? Is it worth the million hours? Some things...I'm thinking my mom's tamales, are so worth the trouble...

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is that you will love the apple butter and once you toss the other peels and cores into the compost you will regret it. You might also put them in muffins, waffles and pancakes.
Love, Mom

9:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

yummy! i love apple butter (though i'm way too lazy to make it)

9:28 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I weep for our future. But I might stop if I had some apple butter...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That is a lot of work for a couple jars!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I spotted the spelling error right off. **headdesk**

6:44 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Did you call the school? Because I definitely would have!

And there's no way I could stir anything for 2.5 hours...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Mmmm, applebutter. Delicious! :)

It makes me sick that people like that are responsible for the education of our youth. Just that one example teaches kids that mediocrity is OKAY.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

You are the best at catching those typos! Or maybe it's that you get the best typos!

I wonder if you could cook down the apple butter in a double boiler? Would that also prevent scorching?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm always amazed at the errors that appear on official documents. Doesn't anyone actually read what they've written? Or maybe carrreers is the wave of the 21st century?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

At least the carreers is a mistake. There are publishers who entitle children's books "Me and My Pet Rabbit," "Me and My Community," etc. I've been told they think it's cute.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

If I send you my address, will you send me some?
*drools*

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home