Thursday, September 03, 2009

Steal the rhythm while you can...

...Spoonflower!

I subscribe to a fair amount of coupon-freebie blogs and a few general crafty blogs in my feed-reader.

So when I saw that August 21 was Free Swatch Day at Spoonflower (clicky above!), I jumped on it!

I've been eyeballing Spoonflower for a few months now.

It's expensive, oh yes. But oh so tempting.

Like the blogger who brought this to my attention (I can't remember what blog it was!) I have always wanted to design some fabric, but I was afraid that it would turn out like crap and I'd be out some decent buck.

Free Swatch Day let you design and upload 2 of your own designs and get a free 8"x8" swatch.

Here are mine:

100_7647

The picture-y one is a black and white of my boys from our trip to Gillette Castle State Park with the Connecticut River behind them.

100_7649

Now, keep in mind, you didn't have to do black and white (you can do any color) but I thought B&W would look kinda cool. I'm thinking some kind of memory-wallhanging? I'll have to shower on it.

A fabric commemoration of the first summer my boys spent together and a fun trip we took.

Next is a little logo action.

100_7650

Again, in black and white--what can I say? I had like two hours to think of something to upload and order before Free Swatch Day expired!!!

At work, I work for one partner who "mentors" three associate attorneys. One day, Big Boss asked me to assemble "the circle of excellence" for a meeting or lunch (I can't remember which) and the name kinda stuck as a joke.

And being the kook I am, I sort of designed a logo for The Circle of Excellence. Their initials appear in the center of the circle.

It's also possible that I may sign my emails using this logo below my signature block when I'm conducting official Circle business.

My plan for this? I'm thinking coasters for the Circle memebers for Christmas. If I can salvage a couple of extra logos, I'll make a coaster for me and the secretary who works for KEC & GMS. (I work for PWM and DKB).

The final review of Spoonflower?

Very cool!

If I had had more time, I would have probably come up with some more interesting/colorful designs.

It helped that I have Photoshop Elements to dink around with on my computer. However, it's not necessary--Spoonflower has some cool applications to help you dink around with your design.

I was a little worried about the clarity of the printing when I ordered my swatches. No worries there! They came out crisp and clear--very professional!

The fabric itself (I ordered the basic quilting cotton--you can order other weights/blends of fabric) is a tad bit thin, but hey, FREE! Can I really look that in the mouth?

If I ever come into some money (or some time!) I can definitely see myself using Spoonflower for some custom-print fabric.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Cool! How big are those swatches?

8:06 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The picture of the boys is great, but I LOVE your "Circle of Excellence" logo! So clever and funny!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

You are so clever though, those logos are neat! Great pic of the guys!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That is so freaking cool. Love the picture one!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I want to figure out some designs for them. I like the black and white idea because you could do some super fun stuff for kids to color in...

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great ideas. I love the black & white. Love, Aunt Susan

8:02 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cool! designing fabric seems like a whole nother can of worms that i'm afraid to open right now (but i can envision big bold colorful skirts in my head)

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe that they charge that much! I would have done the picture myself with my computer and printer. But if you do a colorful log cabin around it it would make a really cute wall hanging. Ditto with the coasters.
Love, Mom
PS: My verification word is dying??? Whats up with that?
Did you do that on purpose?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

That is so cool! And free is a very good price

11:38 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Cool - I wish I had known about this sooner. I have several ideas for fabric and will get working on this!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

That's awesome. Although the price... man, I'm not even going to think of it in terms of $$/hour of work. But ohh, custom fabric, so cool. Love the memory quilt idea. I've wanted to do that for years.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

That has puff paint beat all to hell.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That's pretty awesome! The logo is pretty awesome.

10:12 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I've had really good luck with the Printed Treasures fabric that is sold at JoAnn's. It's reasonable if you're on their mailing list and can use the 40% coupon. Cool business, though!

3:42 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That is too cool! Off to bookmark! Then to curse you eternally for finding another way for me to spend more money I don't have.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home