Thursday, October 29, 2009

15 Minute Post

That's all the time I have before The Office comes on.

My Chunky and Me time.

I don't have anything really interesting to blog about.

I can whine!

Dr. Mad Scientist found out from The Power That Is on Tuesday that they've changed their minds and WILL NOT let the students in The Program he's in get their alternate certification that would allow them to student teach and get paid at the same time starting January.

This really fucking sucks. I was hoping he'd start drawing a paycheck in January/February. Now we have to wait til September 2010.

So more loans we take out to pay for daycare. That's the only expense putting us in the red even with my penny pinching.

$1230 a month in daycare/aftercare for the boys. Fuck birth control.

You wanna not have babies? I'll let you come over and write that $250 a week check to the daycare place every month for Mr. Mooch.

100_7947

But they're cute so I'll keep them and I'll keep the bitching to a minimum.

It doesn't bother me so much that they won't let Dr. Mad Scientist do this--what bugs me is that they led us on and then pulled the rug out from under us. I mean I could have planned better if I had known I'd have to tack another nine months of living on secretary wages.

That's my one gripe with The Program. The Power That Is seems to make up the rules as they go along. Must be nice.

If we can make it til June we'll be golden. By then Dr. Mad Scientist can stay home and watch the boys for the summer and we'll be OK.

So I guess in actuality, it's only another six months we have to grab our ankles.

This whole experience has really given me an appreciation of single mothers and fathers married to stay at home moms.

I mean don't get me wrong, stay at home moms are invaluable and I could never do it. They get a lot of press about how hard it is to be them.

But let's jump into Daddy and Single Mom's shoes--it fucking sucks to be stuck in a dead end job with the weight of supporting you family on your own on your shoulders. Yeah you can get another job--but that's a lot easier said than done in terms of economic climates and health care insurance coverage.

Big props to the Breadwinner Daddy and Single Mom's shoes.

Ha ha! What does that say about my lazy ass? No way I could Stay at Home it, and I struggle to get my ass out of bed to bring home the bacon every day.

Never happy!

But hey! At least we're better off than the starving kitties in Iraq.

LOLCat

They've got it a lot worse!

(One minute til 9:00!)

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Darn it - everything I type keeps getting messed up!

Let's try this again...

Wow, that really sucks about the change to Dr. MS's program! I hope it all ends up working out for you.

I hear you about the daycare. I'm so glad both of my kids are school aged now. If my husband is working again by next summer though, I'll be in the same boat at you, with having to shell out $1,200 a month for summer day camp for the two kids. I dread the thought of it, but it's my only option. People who can leave their kids with grandparents or relatives for free or really cheaply instead of paying for daycare have no idea how good they have it.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

That freaking sucks. They DO make up their rules as they go along.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That sucks. Maybe they will change their mind.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Welcome to the world of education programs, where they do make it up as they go along. Seriously. We always believed at college that it was about seeing if you could hack it in the real world (aka crazy world of education), but after getting out there and teaching, I think it was just to weed out the people we don't want anyway.

10:26 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

I wonder what made them change their minds? Would it be possible to demand an answer? I mean, these aren't just college kids they're dealing with...these are families with children who need income, esp. if it was promised to them...you tend to count and plan on that sort of thing.

Yeah, the word of education is a separate reality, all right. I think they see themselves as floating in a bubble, above, separate, autonomous.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's my cat! Seriously, my cat thinks anytime someone comes through the front door he should be fed (even if he been fed 5 minutes prior).

I hate daycare expenses. It's not so bad now that W is only in before/aftercare, but when she was little it was over $1000 a month for her alone. One of the guys I work with and his wife had triplets (naturally!) 3 years ago and his wife decided not to go back to work because they would be losing money if she did and the kids went to daycare.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

So sorry to hear about the change in the program. That really sucks. If anyone can do it and deal with that type of a hit gracefully, you can! I'm looking forward to the day that things get easier for you!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That's sucky. It's hard being the sole breadwinner/benefit supplier. I've been there. The pressure gets nerve wracking after a while.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Being a SAHM sucks too. Women (or maybe that's just mothers) cannot win.

Why can't Dr MS get himself a job? Like working weekends in Target or something? He could at least haul in the couple hundred a week to cover your daycare costs.

Not ideal, I know, but neither is going full-on into debt to pay for his education.

Am I the only one thinking that he has the easy end of this stick? He gets to go to school while the wife goes to work, then comes home and bakes cookies for his AA meetings? Anyone?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

I had a longer post, but it all boils down to I Hear You.

It sucks when both ends of the lollypop are fuzzy.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, that sucks! I wish I lived down there and could babysit for you. Hang in there you can do it. Love, Mom

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I can't stand that sort of thing. It happens all the time, every day to everyone.
Here's a platitude for you: everyone's life is tough, one way or another. One must focus on one's compensations for all the crap endured or one will go off the deep end.

I have to use the royal "one" because no-one understands the impersonal "you" anymore.

Cute little daycare bills/tax deductions you've got there.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Not that this would make your life any easier with what is involved, but (for reasons I won't get into now) I was recently looking at the Housing Authority's low income/fixed rent rates in WA state...which is different than section 8, WAY different. Just some food for thought, because cutting my rent in half would make my life much less, um Ramen-filled.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, man! That sucks!

I hear you on the daycare costs, though. Back when my older kids were young enough to need daycare, and I worked full-time, half what I earned went to pay for someone to watch them. I always felt like I was working to pay daycare.

9:52 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

At least you have a job that pays (most) of the bills and you do have benefits. But yeah, there are few things as annoying as people who change the rules after you've set off on your three-hour tour.

Good luck, and I am certain that you will get it all figured out. You aren't a badass cheapass for nothing! (Go, Bezzie!)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I hear you about the appreciation of single moms/SAHMs/single salaries/etc thing. We live on one post-doc salary, my part-time salary goes to daycare (and then some), and I feel guilty about feeling pinched; I know I've got it good. I could stay home, we'd still be in the same position, but then I'd have unexplained absences on the CV... So, I think Discoknits is right - sometimes you can't win for trying.

(don't even get me started on not having any extended family in the area to pinch hit in emergencies).

You can make it six months, for sure. And big props for Breadwinner Mommy, too. Don't sell yourself short :-)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you...been there, done that. Thank the gods that my parents could do childcare for us. I'd help out if we lived closer. Hang in there! Love, Aunt Susan

3:15 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That sucks so bad about Dr. MS's program. I'm right there with you on having the pressure of supporting an entire family, all by yourself, on the salary from working at a law firm. I've been the sole provider for my family since the kid was a year and the pressure is intense. Its a miracle I don't need Xanax yet.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

I always wanted to be a stay a home mom/housewife.

I'll buy another lotto ticket on Saturday!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

You could always send Mooch to Co. I would be more than happy to watch him, and teach him to bake using canned pumpkin :)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That just bites!!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You can tell that the powers that be don't have to live on a tight budget. it's like politicains blathering on about, oh, healthcare. It doesn't really impact them cause they have a great health care plan. AND $$ to pay for extras if they want em. ARGH>

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home