Sunday, October 04, 2009

Near Miss

Lately around here things have been misses in the knitting department.

A too small dog sweater.

A floppy scrotal beret-ish hat.

A not so Skinny Empire sweater.

I did not let that deter me though. With the weather starting to dip towards the cooler part of the thermometer, I felt inspired to knit Chunky a sweater that would tide him over to proper parka-wearing winter weather.

This isn't the first time I've designed Chunky a sweater for the in-between seasons.

You'll remember this:

100_3309

That was a spring sweater I cobbled together (emphasis on cobbled) for him in 2007.

Despite the fact it was poorly seamed, poorly executed (intarsia is not my can of soda), and well kinda wonky looking--Chunky loved it.

I had to hide the damn thing last fall because he kept wearing it despite the fact he was getting too big for it and it was falling apart (see above statement about poorly seamed).

This time around, I decided I would do a top-down sweater to eliminate the chance for crappy seaming.

I also got it into my head that I wanted it to be a zippered sweater, not buttons.

Off to casting on I went, and a few weeks later, I was done.

100_7803

Ok, hold your snickers. This sweater is downright bizzare.

First up, the zipper? While I'm proud of being able to say I have now popped my sweater-zipper-sewing cherry, like any first time, it's a little awkward and amateurish looking.

Check out the rippley action. And yes, when pinning the zipper in, I made sure to NOT stretch the sweater as I pinned. I didn't quite make it I guess.

Next up. What the hell is up with that collar?

While I LOVE the technique I used to make the collar--I picked up the stitches and did a simple stockinette band but put a row of purl stitches in there to give it a fold, and then I 3 needle bound the edge of the collar to the neckline of the sweater--it probably would have been better to continue the collar into a button band.

What do I like about the sweater?


100_7804

That would be simple color and stitch variation to make a boring boy sweater a bit more interesting to knit.

In the color blocks on the chest and arms, I did a simple "fleck" stitch pattern (i.e. you put a row of seed stitch every third round).

Overall, it's an improvement from the last sweater I knit him. It's also a bit better than the crap I've been knitting lately.

But it's still not a homerun.

Ah well! It's getting better!

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

At least you are knitting sweaters! The last things I have done are hats and washrags.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I LOVE that sweater. It looks so comfortable and snuggly. I wish I could knit a sweater. I think it's just the coolest thing in the world - knitting sweaters ... and socks ;).

10:48 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

What's the yarn? It looks really soft!

Zippers are hard and I've been sewing since I could hold a needle and reach the pedal on Grammy's old Singer.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

I've never done a zipper on a sweater. Next year! That will be one of my goals.

You are a woot!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Does Chunky like it? (It looks like he does), then it's a hit. Zippers are weird any way you try to put them in. They take a lot of time and are a pita. I'll take buttons and buttonholes any day.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

pretty good though, I'd say. What does Chunky think?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'm with Donna, if Chunky likes it? It's a win. How many items have I knit that end up at the bottom of a closet? I have lost count over the years...

I love the color and stitch you used to break up the stockingette monotony.

And yeah, zippers are hard enough for me on fabric, I haven't even tried on a knitted garment.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

As long as Chunky likes it, that's all that matters!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

You're braver than me with the zipper, that's for sure! I think it looks pretty good from here!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love how happy he looks in his sweaters!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I like it. It looks like Chunky does too :0)

I knit my DH a zippered sweater, ooh, 5 years ago. Started in England, finished in FL. Of course, he hasn't worn it. I'm gonna make him though, now we live in cold. The zipper is a bit funky on that too. Oh well, his fat belly will straighten it out ;0)

4:39 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It looks like Chunky loves it! So it's a win! Love the stitch detail in the color blocks. Very cool.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dumb question - why doesn't the zipper go all the way to the top? I think the important thing is that he is pleased as punch to have a new sweater :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'm impressed you attempted a zippered sweater. Gotta learn sometime!

And nice monkey PJ's on that kid! Glad he likes his new sweater!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

He loves it! Nice interesting stitch too! At least he wears what you knit him.

10:27 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

I have never seen a sweater with a zip that wasn't a bit wobbly. Congratulate yourself, and I'm really impressed that you did it at all...where did you find the time?? Do you own a TimeTurner or something? Two kids, Dr Mad, AND a full-time job? AND a boobie bar?? Good heavens.

It's warm and he likes it. Throw a bone to the Greek Zipper Chorus and tell them to hit the road. It looks so snuggly!

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seperating zippers are easier than closed bottom ones. And that one does not look bad! The look on Chunky's face says it all....He is proud to wear a sweater that his Mom made him. Love, Mom

9:11 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I like it. The color choices are excellent and suit Chunky well.
If you are unhappy with the zipper you could shop around for another one and redo it. You can redo collars too if you want to.

10:57 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hey, Chunky looks like he loves it and that's all that matters!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Does he like it, though? Because if he does, it's all good.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

The texture is great and I like the Alaska vibe of the silhouette. But most important of all, Chunky looks like he loves it!

7:52 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I love it and I bet he does too.
At least you are brave enough to try a zipper!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home