Friday, October 30, 2009

Penultimate

Only one more day left to blog!

As the weather has gotten colder (although it's supposed to be 72 degrees tomorrow. Bah!) I've been wearing more handknit socks.

I just finished reading Donna Lee's husband's guest post on her blog and it got me thinking about socks and what has stood up to the test of time and my atrocious laundry habits*.

My socks are also like little snapshots of my life.

Hold on for a longass post about footwear!

Sockotta Socks
Plain Jane Sockotta socks.

I made these during my lunch hours in Texass where I had no real lunchroom to knit it and my car was parked in the Nomansland parking lot (I had to take a shuttle to campus from that lot). I remember sitting on a bench next to the building I worked at and dropping my sock to let it unwind a bit on the needles (you know how your yarn can sometimes get twisted on itself?) and a hugeass Texass sized spider came down on his web to see what was up.

I never ate lunch there again.

Swedish Clown Cotton Sox

Broken Rib Swedish Clown Yarn socks.

I also knit these in Texass. Sort of. I knit them with some yarn I bought at Threadbear when I went to meet up with some wonderful Michigan knitters (Carina!).

These were the socks I brought to knit with me on my Texass job interviews. I also became a three needle bind off convert with these socks when I went to finish one of them in my hotel room in Texass--but realized I had not packed my yarn needle.

They're 3 needle bound off on the outside--I later learned to turn the socks inside out and bind them off.

Jaywalkers

Opal Yarn Auntie Jaywalker Socks.

Again, Texass knit socks (wow, I sure knit a lot of socks in seven months where I could hardly wear wool socks!).

I took these with me to visit my Aunt who was in Dallas at a trade show for work. We spent the night w/her in her hotel room and while we watched "The Devil Wears Prada" on the in-room movie channel, I whipped these out.

She was so curious about them (she's a crocheter who I believe might dabble in knitting) that I gave them to her when I finished them up a month or so later. It also helped that she bought a pair of cowboy boots on this trip--so I knew exactly what her shoe size was without having to ask!

First Socks

My first socks with some unknown ebay sock yarn.

Ugh. These were awful. Simply awful. Poor heel gussets, and just funky all over. You can see where I effed up the toe decreases on the top sock.

I gave one sock to Chunky one year to use as a dry erase a few years back and the other one I'll sometimes use as a ghetto camera case.


100_6106

Chunky's Tiger Opal Rainforest Socks.

The only socks I knit in 2008!!!

He loved these things and wanted to wear them even though it was July and 90 degrees out when I finished them. I don't think they fit him anymore, but when they resurface in his drawer, he'll shove his feet into them anyway. Never mind that the heel is now at his arch.

untitled

German Flag Regia Socks.

LOVE this yarn! Regia rocks. It has withstood my brutal laundry habits and is not pilly or felted at all.

I knit these to commemorate my brother and sister in law's wedding. SIL is from Germany and the wedding took place there. I had had plans to go with Chunky, but my boss wouldn't give me the time off. I don't miss that woman at all.

I also knit my mom a pair out of the same yarn--but in a lace rib pattern. Mom luckily got to attend the wedding.

100_2505

Unknown 100% wool spiral socks.

Sherry Surprise Santa-ed me this yarn and it was the first (and only) time I knit socks using 100% wool (with no nylon). It was also the first time I knit socks on needles smaller than a size US 2. It made for a really tight and sturdy fabric.

However the back of the heels now have holes in them from where they must have rubbed on my shoes and they've been waiting a few years to be darned.

Someday.

100_2882

Yukon Leaves in some Knitpicks sock yarn that I can't remember the color name of.

These were the first socks I knit in New Jersey.

One I knit in the hotel room that we lived in for the first week we were here before we found our apartment.

The second one I knit while doing laundry on Saturdays. One day a weird laundromat guy struck up a conversation with me about them, and since that day I have never stayed in the laundromat while my laundry has been washing. I sit out in my car knitting and/or reading/listening to podcasts while my laundry washes.

100_3117
Koigu Potomamamamamus Socks.

Ok, so I didn't knit these. Karen did. She gifted them to me as a "welcome to New Jersey/damn close to New York" gift. I love them so and don't wear them too often as not to hurt them since they're Koigu and Potomamamamamamamus--a pattern that makes my brain hurt. They're only worn for special occasions!

100_3680
Quill Lace Sockotta socks.

Another NJ set of socks. I knit these while I was looking for a job and was pretending to be a stay at home mom. I'd sit on the front porch in the afternoon while Chunky played in the front "yard" in April and we'd watch the school kids come home from school go past our house.

Now Chunky goes to that school and I'm still wearing these socks--right now actually.

100_3886
Falling Out of Love Socks in STR "Mustang Sally."

I believe these were my first socks out of Socks that Rock. I finally got to understand what the hype was about.

STR yarn is superwash. But sadly it's not Bezzie Superwash. They later became my infamous sock planters.

100_6122


100_3956

Der Frawd Socks in STR Some Color I Can't Remember.

These were my first real attempt at toe-up socks---knit backwards that is. I'm not a big toe-up fan. I find the toe fiddly and annoying and have never had problems knitting cuff down. (Why fix what's not broken?)

But I loved Turtlegirl's Red Dwarf sock pattern.

So I knit them cuff down--backwards--Der Frawd.

100_5293
Jaywalkers in Colorado State U colors by Pink Sheep (no longer selling her yarn I believe).

Finally, the last pair of adult sized socks I knit--back in 2007. I guess I the sock knitting really peaked for me in 2006.

I haven't worn these in a while because um, yeah, if you follow Colorado State football you'll know why. Sigh.

I do have a pair of socks on the needles in my car. If I get those finished before December 31, 2009 I'll be shocked. Otherwise 2009 will be my first sock-less year in three years!

Wait! I lied! Can't forget the Noro I Dream of Africa socks that I finished in February this year!

100_6749-1

Nice yarn--and it does soften with washing. Just a little too much. It's starting to felt even though I actually DO handwash these socks despite their "superwash" label.

*Toss socks in laundry; wash in hot water (I used to do cold until I read it was possible to catch disease from laundromat washers--not sure if that's true, but I'm not taking any chances); tumble dry hot.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

heh. Yuop, tough washing yarn required for socks alright. Around here too. Hubby doesn't separate the laundry much beyond, 'darks' and 'lights'

10:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Those green lacy socks are gorgeous! I'd be afraid to wear them too! My knitting is coming along OK, but I can't imagine ever having the skills to knit a pair of socks, having to maneuver those tiny double-pointed needles, and that super-thin yarn. I really have a lot of admiration for anyone who can churn out a pair of knitted socks.

My husband does most of the laundry now, since he's laid off, and bored, and I always have to try to grab my work clothes (which need a cold water/gentle cycle wash and low heat dry) because he washes everything in a regular cycle, with warm water, and dries it all on high heat. I do appreciate him washing clothes, but a bunch of my work sweaters and pants have gotten shrunk badly!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks for the sock memory lane! ;)

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Audrey S said...

Only one more day forever??? Or just for October!

That's quite the sock ouevre you've got there. In Texas, you had the same sock "problem" that we have here in SoCal...normally, it's just way too hot!

10:53 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Look at those gorgeous socks!! Love them!!

2:52 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Knitted socks are so pretty. I wish I enjoyed knitting them. :)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's a great summary of your socks - I'll have to do that someday ;) I started wearing my wool socks last week and I love them - but now I want to have cute mary jane shoes to show off my socks.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow that's a lot of socks!! I still haven't made my first pair. I'm such a chicken.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Cool history of your socks.
I tried to catalog my all handknit socks on that website that catalogs things for you, but i gave up. Too many.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

The unnamed E-Bay yarn could be Regia Crazy Colors. I know of a couple of bars in Milwaukee located across the street from laundromats. You can hang there whilst your clothes they are a-washin. The bartender will set a timer so you know when your wash is done.

3:29 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I have cold feet - I wore my handknit socks all 'winter' in Texas! And I agree about toe-up construction - I just don't get it. I've made a couple pairs that way, and much prefer cuff down....

Love the look on Chunkie's face - he sort of looks like the socks smell bad! ;-)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Love seeing all the socks! It's inspiring me to knit more.

5:40 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Great post! I love the walk down sock memory lane. Let's hope 2010 brings your sock mojo back!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

Love the socks - especially your first pair - my firsts were pretty much exactly the same in terms of wonkiness! Now you make me want to go cast on right now for a pair.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Wow, really fabulous socks!

7:47 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

A sock in time would smell as sweet... Or something like that. ;) Fun sockistory!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice parade of socks -- and memories! (Well, except for that horrible boss you don't miss.)

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home