Friday, October 02, 2009

Put a Fork In Me!

I had a really ranty deepish post planned out for today that's been peculating in my brain for a few weeks now. But I'm just too effin' tired.

Today was the day from hell--the rotten cherry to the crap sundae that has been this week.

A giant brief was due for Big Boss. Which meant I had to drop all the other plates I was spinning for Bosses 2, 3 and 4 so I could spin just Big Boss's plate.

Hm, that didn't come out right.

Needless to say, I didn't get a lunch and I didn't get out of there until 5:30*.

Normally, not a problem.

But tonight Dr. Mad Scientist had to go to a "How to Scrounge Money For Your Classroom" workshop for school at 5:30. Meaning I couldn't call him as I ran down the stairway of the building breathless to get the hell out of the office asking him if he could go pick up the boys (we take turns picking them during the week).

Instead I had to call the Aftercare program at Chunky's school to let them know that I was going to be about 15 to 20 minutes late and I knew they would have to charge me ($6 for each 10 minutes late I am). There was no way I was going to be able to drive seven miles in half an hour. This is Northern New Jersey.

I made sure I made that phone call while Big Boss was standing there over my shoulder as I typed the revisions to the brief.

To Big Boss's credit (and he did apologize for keeping me late as I left) it wasn't really his fault I was late. Another attorney involved in the brief fucked it up by not accepting all the tracked changes when she created the "final" version of the brief. I basically had to do all my work over again because of her.

It's times like these I have to keep my perspective. I'm happy to be a working mother even if I don't really have a choice in the matter. I don't even have the option of "just buckling down" to not work and stay home like some stay at home moms choose to do. You can live off of one salary, you can't live off zero salary. Dr. Mad Scientist has more or less been a career student for the past 10 years. I've told him once he gets his teaching certification, he's done. No more career changes. Time to work!

Plus if Dr. Mad Scientist ever gets hit by a bus, is abducted by Venusians (I hear they are much cooler than Martians), or torn apart by a pack of urban wildebeest roaming Newark, I know I'll be OK. I'll be able to support myself and the boys.

If you've made it this far, I'll leave you with a picture I dug up from my Flickr account. I've been going back to the oldest pictures in there. It's kind of fun. Kind of like finding a cyber-shoebox of old photos.

Old Job

This is a snapshot I took of the wanted-ad for my old job in Lansing that they placed after I gave my notice back in 2006. There's something thrilling, sad and surreal about seeing your "career" boiled down to a 10 line help wanted ad.



*No, no overtime. It was for the cheap client. They won't authorize OT.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

At least it's Friday.......It sucks that you have to pay extra but I know all the places around her work that way, too.

I wish I had the luxury of not working but at the rate we're going, I'll be working until I'm 72. There were times when my salary was the only consistent money we had coming in. As you say, it's nice to know you CAN do it but it'll be nicer for you when you have some help. I, too, said no more career changes to my husband.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hate weeks like that. On hte bright side....the week is O.V.E.R.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

It has been a long week.

Save up the rant for tomorrow ;), we'll still be here.

9:53 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I've never had a non-exempt job. 30 hrs/week or 80 hrs/week, it's all the same on the payroll. I'm sorry you had a crap Friday. Enjoy your weekend!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I hear you on the "can't live on zero salary" thing. But I agree with you...its nice to know I am capable of supporting myself no matter what. Its provides a sense of freedom for sure.

Sorry you had such a bad day. Have some ice cream or comething equally comforting.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Oh yeah and $6 for every 10 MINUTES? Whoa!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous elspeth said...

Yow know, I enjoy your blog. And I get that someone has to work, but stay at home moms are not inherently evil. And some of us don't "choose" to stay at home - I didn't have a job to go back to and have been actively looking for work for 3 years.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day/week, we all do, whether we're being paid to deal with it or not.

10:57 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

Yeah, it's easy for folks to say, "Just stay home with the kids...being a SAHM is the best job you can take!" etc.

PPFT. As if everyone has that option. Easy for someone to comment when they don't know the ins and outs of your situation.

I remember a good quote from ages ago: "You can't ref the game if you don't know the rules."

I think you did really well, loads of grace under pressure, etc. Hopefully this won't happen again anytime soon. Most things usually do pass.

Go bake something yummy. I really love reading your Friday baking posts!!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Geesh, your Friday sounded like my Monday! That bites!! Enjoy your weekend!!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I hope y'all have a nice fun weekend, we've had a couple of weeks like that here and I'm ready for October to sail in quietly.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath & enjoy the weekend with the boys...you deserve it.

The hospital hates to pay overtime & call-back premium pay. The powers that be would love to get rid of the premium pay...good luck with that one. Who would take care of our customers (they aren't patients anymore)? I'd love to see management & office staff back out doing patient care. That is where most of them started out at before they started climbing the management ladder.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:19 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Being a SAHM is not all it's cracked up to be, so enjoy your job. After 5 years as SAHM and now needing to return to work to earn some $, I find myself virtually unemployable!!!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

That is definitely a crappy day. I hope you have a great weekend to make up for it.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Ugh, the childcare squeeze! The worst fodder for a ranty post if ever there was one. At least your bosses seem appreciative.

(Incidentally Bezzie, one meaning of peculate is embezzle... I hate to speculate what a peculating blog post does to one's brainz.)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

That's total BS about the overtime. The firm should pay it if the client won't!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Bezzie, your blog leaves me in awe of what an amazing person and mom you are to be able to handle it all and do all you do.

Your certainly an inspiration.

I hope that firm appreciates you big time!!!!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home