Friday, October 16, 2009

Randomness

Thank god this week is over.

I swear if I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd be doing that--instead of being Buttmonkey Secretary.

I'm finished being everybody's buttmonkey!!

***

Best thing Chunky brought home from school today: the Halloween UNICEF change-drive letter. It wins the "best thing" award for this quote: "We ask that you not send pennies, for they are very heavy to carry into the store." Wow. Oh, and can you make sure they're crisp $1 bills you send? The tattered ones are so fragile.

Remind me when Chunky's in 6th grade to volunteer to heft pennies and cut out this nonsense. Geeze.

***

A year ago this week the park across the street at work looked like this:

100_6354

I haven't taken a recent picture, but it's more fall-y looking this year.

One year during fall in Michigan, I took a picture of this tree by the mailbox outside every week day for nearly a month when I took out the mail. I never developed the film. It was a disposable camera. I know that camera is around here somewhere. I should really get that developed.

The weekend weather is barely supposed to crack 50 degrees, no sun, and lots of rain.

Fine by me.

***

Knitting is going. I haven't been able to do as much as I like because my lunch knitting has been interrupted by being the aforementioned buttmonkey and not getting to go to lunch. My desk is covered in peanut butter sandwich crumbs.

***

Milestone alert. Someone will be turning 10 months this upcoming week and has learned to shove food in his mouth all by himself.

100_7845

Thanks to Poops's Dave for the inspiration of a Ritz (ok, knock off storebrand) cracker. I don't know if I'm being uber-cautious mom and am afraid of him choking (Cheerios are a bit much), I can't remember when I fed Chunky "real" bits of food, or he doesn't have enough teeth yet for the sturdier foods...probably a combination of all of the above but it feels like he's behind where Chunky was at this age. Probably not. Seven years between kids will wipe out all your memories of the mundane little details like this.

100_7847

***

Tomorrow we will go spend money we don't really have.

But it's for shoes for Dr. Mad Scientist.

He started his field work this week and is really digging it. Dr. Alphabetsoup is his "mentor" and from what he says they seem to be on pretty much the same wavelength. This is good. Some of his classmates have been paired up with teachers who have been teachers for a long while and are kind of set in their ways. I can't really pass judgment--who doesn't get like that when they work a job for X years?

Dr. Alphabetsoup is a good match for him. She has a PhD and used to be a researcher in Michigan. Hee hee. Doesn't get more matchy than that!

He needs some respectable shoes. His old ones are nearly three years old and not holding up well. Considering he used to put lots of Manhattan miles on them, they wore down faster than suburban shoes do.

***

Ok, I'm going to see if I can't pry this lap whore off my lap and get into my jammies for a night of lounging on the couch.

100_7887

After a summer of being kicked off laps because it was too hot--I'm not the only one loving this cold weather!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff in one post! Hope you have a great weekend and can get some knitting in. Good luck w/Dr. Mad Scientist's shoe shopping!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awww the little guy likes his crackers! Have fun shopping w/hubby, mine is a bear to shop with!

9:59 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

When we lived in Germany the US-run shops didn't ever carry pennies because "it costs more to ship them than they're worth" which meant that they would always round up/down in some weird calculus that probably ended up screwing people over. I never figured out why they didn't just stop pricing things at one-cent intervals.

Have a great weekend! Sounds like you'll be busy.

P.S. My word verification is "blessew"
P.P.S. Sorry about the monkeys. We have 'em, too.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Wow, kid feeding himself! Now that's a milestone. I bet you're still scraping most of it off the wall, but hey, at least now the crackers go where they're supposed to. Yay!

I hope next week is better. Last week sucked for me too. It's time for a change!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Dave eats store-brand Ritz knockoffs too. Good to see Moochie is better with the fine motor skills than mine is!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Go Moochie! Once my Pip learned how to feed herself...well, she costs a lot, LOL.

haha, great lap whore picture!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

It's been cold enough that both of my lap whores have been on my lap at the same time. Of course each ine had to pretend it was working solo.

Your pal,
minguter

9:57 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

P.S. The new pennies are lighter.

9:58 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Dude, Chunky's school sure is picky about their charity work!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home