Friday, November 20, 2009

Aburrido

I think that's Spanish for bored. Or boring.

Or it's what a gringo orders at Taco Bell.

I'll have aburrido with a large Diet Coke.

But that's what life has been like here. Kinda boring. Not much to post about.

I was reading Mag's point that she recycles everything.

I do too. I've noticed not too many people around here do.

Every other week is paper/leave recycling week. Most people don't put out anything (i.e. Zorba the Slumlord downstairs) or they just put out a stack of newspapers and maybe a few boxes. There are quite a bit of people that put leaves/yard waste out there too.

But I'm like Mag--a paper packrat. Everything goes in the recycling.

Boxes.
Toilet paper cores.
Chunky's old schoolwork/takehome announcements.
Food packaging.
Tags.
Newspapers.
Catalogues/magazines.
Junk mail.

Babies.

000_0314

Ha ha! No! We had a big load of paper recyling this week and Moochie was curious to see what was in the box. So we tossed him in it.

000_0313

He seemed to enjoy it.

But something to think about. If you have curbside recycling, read up on what your service allows. Chances are they accept all types of paper. Not just newspapers and magazines.

Not much knitting to speak of. I'm working on a Christmas present for Cousin Blue Face Lester.

Due to the royal screwing by the Power that Is in delaying Dr. Mad Scientist's ability to be paid (oh and I just learned the first year you're a "real" teacher--they assign you a "mentor" teacher to show you the adminstrative ropes of your school. These "mentors" get paid extra to do this--and guess where that pay comes from? That's right! His salary! NICE!!!!! I'll bet that's some union clause...just a hunch) it's going to be a lean Christmas.

Lots of kids-only and family gifts. Ah well. There will be time for excess later.

And speaking of spending money and excess, Grandma Mad Scientist will be here soon--so expect some more radio silence.

Grandpa Mad Scientist bailed yesterday and won't come. So they're trying to figure out if
Cousin Flower Girl (she was our littlest flower girl at our wedding) can come instead of Grandpa MS. Apparently they didn't realize that it's NOT a simple thing to transfer a ticket in this post 9/11 world and it's going to cost something like $1500 to change it.

Dr. Mad Scientist's mother is shocked.

But why? The airlines are all nearly (if not already) teat's up--why wouldn't they charge you????

Aye, I swear. Maybe my life isn't such a burrito after all!!!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger SiressYorkie said...

At our local tip, there are four different dumpsters for paper recycling, 12 for plastics, 3 for green waste...and it goes on from there. The workers hover over you to make sure you don't taint any of the streams, sometimes even sighing and saying, "Oh, just let ME do it...!" The Germans do it right, but it's a way of life for them, and they have the government funding to back it up. Not so other places.

We recycle about 95% of our household waste which is mostly packaging. It's insane. It IS nice to have bottle returns, however.

I liked "Zorba the Slumlord"!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I've noticed the same thing about recycling here in Jersey. Most of my neighbors just don't bother to put anything out.

In Brooklyn, we had recycling collected every week and if recycling was found in a regular garbage bag, you got a fine. So hubby and I are still meticulous about recycling everything.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I live in the Seattle area, and people are militant about recycling around here. I notice myself feeling guilty if I'm in public and don't find a recycle bin for my paper or aluminum cans, but end up throwing them away.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Ha ha! I know divertido is whoo hoo exciting, fun, fun, fun...

Our garbage company does one thing, pick up garbage. No recycling - nada! Fergitboutit!

We recycle the plastics because Walmart does that, so that is the extent of our recycling.

Have fun w/ your family. It will be good. :)

5:42 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

We recycle an insane amount of stuff, I feel guilty tossing the papertowels and always wonder if they'd take them. But all the boxes, packages, etc go in our pile too. I'm waiting for the day I get that little notification that we've put out an excessive amount. We usually have at least as much recycling as garbage if not more.

Have a nice visit with the Mad Scientists! Maybe your father in law will change his mind since there's no undoing a ticket these days.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Is that a cute picture of Moochie! He sure does look like he is enjoying being recycled!
As for paying for the mentoring...I sure hope that they pay enough to cover it and live!
Love, Mom
PS: this could be why they are having a bad time getting new teachers!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I understand the mentor thing but making the mentee pay is just wrong. It's not like you have a choice.

We try to recycle as much as we can. And now you don't even have to separate paper/glass/aluminum here. It all goes into the same can.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe Moochie loves his new toy play pen ;)

I so don't understand why the mentor is paid from the teacher receiving it salary. Doesn't sound like it's an optional thing...grrr

Here we have curbside and I love it. I only wish it was a bigger container (we have to buy a bigger one, so not yet) My garbage can is much lighter due to the recycling. It's kind of mandatory to do some now as no bottles/plastic etc. are allowed in the trash now.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

I love that age when they want to climb in the boxes! Good for you for all the recycling - I'm always sad to see how much people just dump in with their regular garbage.

1:44 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

1. And people wonder why we have a shortage of good teachers ...

2. Our recycling rules changed earlier this year. Now we can recycle almost everything and it's single-stream. Most of our mail goes straight into the recycle can. The problem with this? Recycle is still every other week, so the can gets really full really fast and bigger recycle cans are really expensive!

3. Yeah, the airlines gouge for just about everything these days. Can't believe Grandpa MS bailed on the trip!

6:57 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

They've gotten serious about recycling in my town - we were just given three separate containers for trash, recycling, and green waste! They empty all three each week.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

What I hate about our local recycling system is that they have a blue box, for tins and cans and a few othe rthings, a grey box for paper, cardboard, tetra packs and stuff AND a green bin for compostable. I have to keep all 3 containers INSIDE my house. Leaving htem ont he porch is against municipal bylaws (eyesore or something). I have no garage. I am supposed to keep compost INSIDE my house? for a week? With no a/c in the summer? Who t he fuck are they kidding? Doesn't happen. And since the great Ant Invasion of '06 cans don't get recycled either. Thankfully we can get all our garbage into our alloted 2 bags of garbage a week. Heck usually we only have one. But if they want me to recycle, they're gonna have ta make it so I don't have to keep garbage in my house for 2 weeks. (Oh yea, and they alternate weeks with that blue bin/grey bin crap)

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home