Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Seeds of Annoyance

I haven't been doing much crafty stuff lately.

I made a pair of baby mitts for Moochie out of some nipple-red Red Heart and strung them with some i-cord. He now thinks he's got toys hanging off his coat sleeves.

But they're nothing to really blog about.

They're kind of like other things I've had kicking around my brain that I could probably blog about, but they would be very bitchy posts.

I've been thinking of things that annoy me like fathers that talk to their kids like their kids have the intelligence of a potato.

Or musing as to why they don't teach personal finance in school better. I mean we had a class in High School, "Consumer Math" or something like that. It was pretty much stigmatized as being "math for kids who won't go to college." Yeah I went to college and wasted my time on trigonometry. Do you know the last time I had to find the sine of an angle? Yeah. Never. I hope those "dumb kids" are laughing at us.

And stressing about all the cleaning I'm going to have to do for the Grandma and Grandpa Mad Scientist visit.

Stressing about all the money we'll be spending when they're here. Why couldn't they have come next summer when times were not so lean? Moochie and Chunky would still be adorable. (Because you know seeing Dr. Mad Scientist and I is just a happy bonus to getting to see the furthest-away grandkids.)

Procrastinating making lunches for the boys and me for tomorrow and hopping in the shower.

Sloring myself for votes for my Santa Baby Food Jar Ornament. I think I might have a chance--I mean they wouldn't have to pay for airfare. I could drive to the Grand Prize for less than a tank of gas. And it's less than $10 on the train to get to NYC. Besides as much as I don't really care for Barfy Marfy, I'd love to meet a witch in person.

Because we all know Martha Stewart isn't a demon. She's a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness. (HEE! Yes, we just finished Season 6).

Did you make it this far?

Shall I reward you?

Perhaps with a Moochie in a box?

000_0290

Sometimes you gotta make your own fun.

000_0288

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I want to know what the cats were thinking in that last picture!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Awww... you're packing him up to send to me? Thank you!!! :D

9:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

A new product for my 'box o' line of products....box o' kitties,box o' cookies, and my favorite box o' wine!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Too cute! It reminds me of when a parent buys their kid an expensive toy, and the kid is more interested in the box than the toy itself. My cat is particularly fond of boxes, and bags too, for some reason. Right now she's sleeping in a ball on top of my daughter's lunch bag on the kitchen table. She loves lying on their backpacks too, while her perfectly good, soft cat bed goes to waste!

9:33 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I think if you looked up "boring" in the dictionary, you'd find my life. I remember boxes were always the best toys when I was a kid. Awesome!

9:48 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

I hope you didn't send him parcel post...that takes forever. Priority mail is the only way to go.

*ahem*

I TOTALLY hear you about Consumer Math. I really wanted to take that in HS...and it had the same stigma. I was told, You can't take that...it's not on the college track. You have to take Algebra with Trig. Strangely, I understood Trig better than Algebra, but never saw the practical use.

I'm just really glad there are computer programs these days that can balance your checkbook for you and little cards to stick in your wallet showing how much you should tip. For someone with dyscalculia, it's a godsend.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Sine, sine, everywhere a sine...hee Sorry

I love math and have taken as much as I can, but it hasn't done squat for me. I use basic algebra everday at work for estimating, etc.

Good luck in the contest. I hope you win!

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The boys had to take a class-Consumer Ed-in HS. It was a requirement for graduation(it might even be a requirement for all IL HS-Not for sure). It was the basic life/money skills.

Love Moochie in a box. Add some wrapping paper for him to play with & it will keep him entertained for hours.

Love, Aunt Susan

6:57 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I vaguely remember a class in which they taught us to write a check and balance a check book (totally useless anymore. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check). Lessons on budgeting and comparison shopping and saving would be useful and never be out dated by technology

7:00 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Consumer Math should be a requirement for all HS students. Kids should know about loan rates, sub-prime mortgages, credit ratings, bankruptcy law, and grant writing.

And how to do laundry and make a bed. And properly iron a shirt. When I think of the hours I wasted in math class...

8:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i love how the cat is looking at him like, "uh, dude--what are you doing in my box?"

8:18 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I think the cat in the last picture looked pretty jealous!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Exactly knottygnome.
Boxes are great fun.
Those higher mathematics classes are supposed to be helpful in teaching you not only the degrees of an angle, but how to work through a seemingly complex problem. Something you did learn well, I think.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! You just need some packaging tape and a label addressed to ME!!! FedEX that little guy up to ME!!!

As for the math...we had a class called General Math for the non-college bound. I don't know what they taught in it....I took three years of algebra, trig, and geometry. I only use geometry. I did take a general business class that taught how to write and balance a checkbook and about loans insurance and that kind of thing. But the best place that I learned about money and finance was from my Mom and the Army Finance and Accounting Office. Commercial Accounts to be specific.
Love, Mom

9:44 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I never used college math either. What a waste. Stupid me took a business class over a typing class and well...I could really use a typing class now.

Cute kid in a box! Where can I place an order? :)

6:15 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Goodness, Moochie in a box is the cutest thing ever! And the cat thinks so too!

7:07 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

He's getting so big and looking so much like his bog brother! Tie a towel or blanket to a laundry basket and you have hours of entertainment and don't get me started on a balloon with a anchor...ask me how I know ;)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe in the last picture, Dad looks like he's having more fun!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Voted for your project -- hope you win that fabulous trip. Trivia for the day: Martha grew up in Nutley.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

You have broken the cute barrier. I wish the pics came with sound.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home