Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Trashformers--More than Meets the Eyes!

I have a confession.

I sometimes (about 90%) feed my Moochie jarred baby food.

Not the most economic thing. Baby food is effing expensive. But it's great to pack in his school bag. And as he's been getting more teeth, I've been giving him less of it and more of what we eat.

But the thriftiness I am wasting on buying the baby food is not wasted on the byproduct of the baby food.

I've been saving the lids of those cute little jars.

I did the same thing with Chunky when he was little.

I don't know why. They just seemed like they needed to be something--ya know?

After saving Chunky's baby jar lids, back about eight years (EIGHT YEARS!) ago, I made them into Christmas tree ornaments.

000_0112

I knew I had to do the same thing with Moochie's lids.

I painted them pink (with any old acrylic paint--like those ones that are always on sale for like 75 cents at the big craft stores).

000_0264

I warmed up the glue gun (that I've had since I was a bit older than Chunky--oh yeah, this thing is definitely "vintage").

000_0266

Pulled out my googley eyes.

000_0267

Some pom-poms.

000_0269

Cut out some fun foam.

000_0270

And ta-da!

000_0273

Now I'm normally not into Christmas before Turkey Annihilation day--but it was daylight savings this weekend and seriously, that stupid extra hour (i.e. an hour you don't get to sleep in when you have an infant) needed to be used up.

Come December though I'll have twelve little Moochie Baby Food Lid Santas to hang out on the tree next to the legion of Chunky Baby Food Lid Snowmen!


000_0274

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cute! You are just a crafting fool...watch out Martha! Love, Aunt Susan

8:13 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that is just too cute. way to make use of that extra hour!

i think i just slept through mine.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Cute! You really have some great ideas.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that I get one or two of those for my tree!! I still have the ones you gave me of Chunky's! Those turned out really cute! Love, Mom

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Very creative and I just love them!

I would never in a million years expect a full time working mom to make her own baby food.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Meg Weaver said...

They are also fantastic if you save old Christmas cards. Cut little circles showcasing some aspect of the Christmas card and of an appropriate size to fit inside the lid. Hot glue the card in, add a ribbon hanger and then use craft glue and glitter around the inside edge. We made approximately seven billion of these when I was little. You can add lace around the edges, or more ribbon or, yanno, whatever you've got kicking around in the craft box.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Love them. Surely you have more than 12 though (like a billion)? I saved the little jars and put tea-lights in them. Very twinkly at Christmas time. I used to re-use the plastic containers for goldfish and cheerios too - just the right snack size for travelling babes :0)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

OMFG those are so cute! I recycled most of N.'s babyfood jars, but still have a few... but no googlyeyes in the house at the moment.... Damn, more stuff to pick up when I go back for more glitter.

(and I didn't make babyfood either; pretty sure N. didn't suffer for it.)

Love the pink vintage glue gun, too.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

How cute! I admire your thriftiness, because that never would have occured me to use the lids like that!

And what's wrong with feeding Moochie baby food? He's still a baby! A huge pet peeve of mine is those holier than thou moms who look down other moms who (gasp!) buy regular old jarred baby food instead of making their own, or buying organic baby food, or for using disposable diapers instead of cloth, etc., etc. The ones who act like that are usually the ones who don't have to work (and have husbands who make a lot of money, so they don't have to pinch pennies while the stay home), and act like every other mom has the time and/or luxury to do things like they do.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

You put the fun in fun foam.

7:45 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

That is excellent!! I always remember having little glass baby food jars around. They're useful for so many things!

9:38 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

That is awesome!! Make sure to take a pic of Santas and the Snowmen on the tree for us!

1:48 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I love home made ornaments- our tree is full of them too!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Very creative!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Regular jarred baby food might be more expensive than making it yourself, but i seem to remember reading somewhere that the ingredients were the same as the homemade stuff. Since adding other crap would up the cost to no point.

I love me some repurposed lids. Too cute. didja keep the jars too?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those are cute!! I love the snowman too!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That is super neat. I never would have thought of it. Too bad I don't have a baby to feed baby food.

6:35 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Haha, those are awesome! Those Santas TOTALLY look like they could be on South Park (I mean that in a good way)!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

This has made me smile Bezzie....how sweet your boys will have those in years to come...your future grand kids will no doubt be hanging those one day...such a great idea. You rock!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home