Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Close But No Cigar

I don't normally do WIP Wednesdays.

But today I will. Only because it doesn't feel like a Wednesday. Today is technically my Thursday. Tomorrow I have to work--so it will technically be my Friday.

Now that the Christmas presents are all done I can knit for me.

So I took my Tittie Scarf Money (I didn't want the recipient to pay me--but she did...she's such a nut. I might have to send it back to her as bail money when she gets arrested for indecent exposure wearing her scarf around town!) and I bought two skeins of yarn so I could knit this hat:

Untitled-1 1.psd

I've had my eye on this hat ever since "Elf" came out (and yeah yeah, I know there are a lot of Will Ferrel haters, but I LOVE him and his stupid movie roles and I LOVE this movie).

I thought I recreated it pretty close until I started clipping Youtube screenshots for this blog post.

Here's the back of the hat:

Untitled-1 1.psd

That's a lot more stockinette than I thought it had. Hm.

Here's what I've been working on:

100_8211

Two panels of honeycomb cables flanked by two simple left-twist 8 stitch cables.

I might have gone overboard with the cables.

Ah well. It's close and the yarn I'm using is so wonderfully soft and warm.

Not to mention I've been carrying it around in my Christmas Knitting Bag that everyone's favorite blog mom made me a year or so ago.

Now the next challenge is going to be making that big fluffy pom pom. Anyone have a good recommendation for a pom pom tutorial? I suck HARD at making pom poms.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

I hate making pompoms, too. Can't help you there.

I think erring on the side of too many cables is a good thing. :)

I'm not sure what it is about Will Ferrell, because I usually don't like dumb comedians (Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler, I'm looking at you) (With the exception of "Happy Gilmore", I admit), but I do love him most of the time. Elf? Adorable. Blades of Glory? A hoot. There's just something about him that makes it fun.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

That's a great hat. Both yours and the Elf one. Can't wait to see the completed project. As for pom poms...I bought a pom pom maker cause I suck too at the whole pom pom thing. It made it easier...

8:29 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I love Elf! Anyone who says they don't love Will Ferrell in Old School is a big old liar too. That movie was hilarious.

Great hat! For pom poms that aren't your normal size, I use a giant cardboard circle cutouts. I've done this to make super teeny ones and giant ones too. Simple, cheap, and totally customizable.

Its like this:
http://melissagoodsell.typepad.com/day_to_day/tutorial_pom_poms/

9:54 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I like your version better. =)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the hat! Too many cables? I don't think so. As for pom poms wrap yarn around a cardboard rectangle and tie off the center real TIGHT! Then cut the ends. Love, Mom

11:56 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love that movie and I LOVE your hat.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have to admit that I love that movie too, and often walk around singing, "I'm singing ...."

I also have to admit to a bit of awe that you can see a hat on a movie and then knit it. That's pretty impressive.

Have a great holiday!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That looks awesome!!!
I suck at the pom poms too, sorry!!

11:29 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ooh! You'd better write that up! It's looking to be a great hat!

As for Pom-poms, Clover makes an awesome set of pom-pom maker thingies. They're awesome. But I know you can do it with cardboard somehow. I dunno.

12:47 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I love Will Ferrell, even if he is a stinking Trojan. Sadly, I have never seen Elf. Gonna have to do something about that.

Your Cheapassedness is not going to like my suggestion, but the Clover pom-pom makers like these

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd45955

Are worth every penny. They make fantastic pom-poms and are very easy to use. If you were closer, I'd loan you mine! The hat is looking fantastic! Merry Christmas!

7:00 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I've never seen Elf, can you believe it? But that hat looks awesome!

I scanned a pom-pom tute from a library book way back when. If you want, I can check my backup drive, and if the PDF is still on it, I can email it to you.

Wow, could that last sentence *be* any longer? :P

7:25 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I hate making pompoms, too, although I just made one last night for my brother-in-law's almost-Jayne hat. It's not fluffy enough.

But the hat looks great - the original has too much stockinette.

Also - not a Will Farrell lover in general, but I do love Elf!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very pretty - and I will admit to be an unsuccessful pompom maker as well...

I remember the first time I saw Elf I laughed so hard I had a headache at the end.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Great recreation of the hat! I always make pompoms on two cardboard circles held together, wound around with yarn, then cut between circles and tie. Then, trim pompom and curse because it still looks like crap.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome hat! Go you! Love that bag too!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home