Saturday, December 12, 2009

Just In Time!

I finished the knitted toy for Cousin Blue Face Lester!

First I tried to make one of those knitted dodecahedron.

But it was a massive fail. Chunky liked it though, so he's got a new ball he can toss around the house and not worry about smashing a window (although at this point would that really matter?).

I found this pattern and liked the look and the simplicity of it.

You can go onto The Place That Shall Not Be Named to find the pattern in English. But you don't really need to--just cast on 20 stitches, knit for 68 rows in stockinette and then follow the diagram on how to weave them together. No foreign language skills needed!

Here's the finished ball:

100_8122

I love this!!!

The details:

Pattern: Gevlochten Bal / Braided Ball by Marleen Hartog

Yarn: Red Heart (red) and Woolease (green)

Needles: Straight US 7s

Notes: Did I mention how much I love this ball? So easy to knit and the roll of stockinette is your friend. It gives the ball a really solid structure. I was skeptical of this in the beginning. But it turned out great!

The weaving at the end is a bit of a pain in the ass. I pinned my strips like the pattern suggested before seaming them shut and still managed to eff up the weaving. But it wasn't a big deal to cut open two seams and re-weave the strands.

Now comes the hard part--getting to the Post Office to mail it off to Cousin Blue Face Lester!!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Very cute!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

What a great idea! A ball that won't smash through things is always smart. I like how you used green and red too.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was admiring the dodecahedron, too but it looks way too fiddly. I love that ball. It looks complicated and difficult. I love that about knitted things. They look all impressive.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Cute! And I haven't done that dodecahedron hting for exactly that reason. Looks cool, but fidlly.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the ball. I'm sure Cousin Blue Face Lester will have a grand time with it.

Love, Aunt Susan

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a cute ball! It looks great on the Christmas tree. Love, Mom

1:42 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

How clever! I saw it favorited on that place you shall not name and now I know why! You being a trendsetter and all.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

So cool! I'd knit that first before that deco-thingy!

6:51 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I LOVE this!!! Is it stuffed with anything? Or is the inside of the strips enough to puff the thing up into a ball shape?

7:17 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Fun! Bet that would make a great dryer ball, too!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice job! Plus the braid ball seems much more kid-friendly than the dodecahedron.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home