Thursday, December 17, 2009

One of Those Circle of Life Things

I took today off from work.

A year ago today I was also off from work.

The weather was exactly the same. Cold, sunny, a bit breezey.

I spent the morning at the laundromat doing laundry one last time.

In the afternoon I went to Chunky's holiday concert.

In a few hours I will be attending Chunky's holiday concert again this year.

However this morning, I wasn't doing laundry.

100_8163
Is it pathetic that I see this prayer and I automatically wonder if he was an alcoholic? It's kind of like the red scarf thing. I know not everyone with a red scarf is an orphan, just like I know this prayer isn't exclusive to AAers... it's just reflexive assumption.

I was at a coworker's visitation.

It wasn't too unexpected. Well, sort of. He was 80 and a heavy smoker with no intention to quit. When he got sick three weeks ago, he never really recovered.

This is the third coworker related funeral I've been to.

The first one was for a coworker's mother. That was sad. So sad. Her mother was only 60 and died of an anyerisum while she was on the phone with my coworker. Ugh.

The second one was for a coworker's sister who was brutally murdered. Surprisingly enough, that was a wonderful funeral. So uplifting and damn near joyous. Especially considering she left behind two pre-teen kids.

I didn't go to the official funeral for this one--just the visitation which was kind of weird.

I'm taking notes for my own funeral services. There will be nametags.

I want people to know who the relatives are. Maybe the nametags will read:

I'M THE WIDDOWER! ASK ME HOW I KNOW THE DECEASED!

Mr. Coworker will be missed. I didn't know him particularly well, but he always opened the door for me if I was coming inside and he was outside the building smoking and he always had a friendly smile and a nod for me.

Sometimes when you feel like you're working in the pit of hell, it's the little things like that that help you get through the day.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

For a while it seemed like I was going to a lot of coworker family funerals. They're always kinda strange. it's interesting to see their families and other assorted loved ones.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

So sad! I've never been to a co-worker funeral. We've been lucky in our little group.

That prayer is one of my favorites. One of my high school teachers used to have us pray it before class everyday (catholic school) and its one of those prayers that has so few words but says so so much.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sorry to hear about your co-worker.

My aunt and I take notes on how we want our funerals based on ones we attend also. You should hear the crazy things we've seen!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

How sad that your coworker died right before Christmas! When my dad died, two of my coworkers, guys who both lived on the other side of town, came to his wake (or visitation), and it really meant a lot to me, that they would drive all that way to be there. I'm sure your coworker's family appreciate your coming.

As hard as it was to lose my dad, I feel worse for my husband for all the loved ones he's lost. In the 17 years we've been together, he's lost his dad, his grandmother, his niece, and his youngest brother. His mom died when he was a teenager. His niece's funeral was actually harder for me to attend in a way than my dad's funeral, because she was only 23, a new wife (barely married over a year), and mom of two little boys (6 mos. and 4 years), and was killed in a car accident on her way home from work one evening. I can't even fathom her husband's grief. Who expects to become a widower with two little kids at the age of 24?

I wonder sometimes why some people make it to 80, 90+ years old, and some people get so little time on this Earth.

9:42 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I had the same knee-jerk reaction to that prayer as you did.

Good for you for going to the visitation. Not sure I could pull that off.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just watch you will see Mr Coworker coming out of others, it is like the little things that he did others will start doing. Is it that they did the samethings and you never noticed? I don't know, I just beleive that there is another dimension where everyones souls go to. If you asked my coworkers who I am like and I know that the ones that know Beetle R. would say I am like her. When did this take place? I don't know I think that it was a gradual thing.

As for that prayer...that is an old one and very wise.

Love, Mom

11:38 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

So sad. I am sorry Bezzie. And while you do not believe in God, he is in a much better place.

I will not have a funeral or memorial service. It is in my will not to have those things. Just toss me in the big Easy Bake Oven. No mess or fuss.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

That prayer is so applicable to everyone, not just AAers.

80 is a pretty good age to go. I hope I make it that far and go as quickly - not so much with the lingering and suffering.

I like your purse. I made some pillows with that same fabric (different colour).

It snowed here for about 5 minutes this morning. Life is good }:0)

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home