Monday, December 21, 2009

The Season Doth Descend Upon Us

Happy Solstice!

Yeah I'm not really into blessed yule logs and yadda yadda, but being an Alaskan, one innately longs for December 21. Just like I get a twinge depressed on June 21 because the daylight is all downhill from there, I get a twinge excited on December 21.

Sunday, while we were "snowed in,"

100_8198
Four inches or so there--but then I realized, after I went out to shovel it (Chunky tries his hardest to shovel but a 3 car-wide driveway is a lot of child-labor for one 8 year old) it was easily more like 6 inches. This picture is from our back porch rail, which is partially covered.

I worked on my scrapbooking.

No, no, I haven't gone all cutesy-cutesy gluing Moochie's dried belly button stump to a fancy page embossed with ribbons, custom diecuts and locks of hair from his first haircut (although ahem, such things might have been made when a certain chunky baby was born...).

It is a true scrapbook.

100_8207

It's a little fabric counting book.

100_8208

Using my ghetto sewing skills, I just sewed scraps of fabric onto fabric "pages" of the book. The lettering is some leftover t-shirt transfer printer paper I had and some white scrap fabric.

Yeah I don't know if he'll really like it and the execution leaves a lot to be desired--it's very um, "rustic?" But that's OK. I couldn't make Chunky mittens and not make Moochie anything.

While we were "snowed in" I practiced my cookie baking.

100_8199

I made cheapass cookie gifts for Chunky's Aftercare Counselors and my quad o'bosses.

100_8204

I found those little holiday takeout boxes for 50 cents at Rite Aid. I cleaned out their stock!

I say "practicing" my cookie baking for two reasons: New Year's Eve is just around the corner and I'll be baking a ton o'cookies for the AA all night meeting marathon Dr. Mad Scientist is helping coordinate.

And the second reason is this. Swoon! I feel so honored!!

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

yea, for once we got the snow. And as soon as my car stops sliding all over, I'll be fine. Sigh. I love snow as long as I don't have to drive in it.

Congrats on being Cookie Czar. You're a perfect choice. Our rite aid only had one of those containers left. I wanted a bunch for cookies, too.

8:34 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Congrats on the "Cookie Czar" title! I was totally thinking about you while I was baking cookies here last night!

Scrapbooking is so NOT my thing. I'm impressed by anyone who gives it a shot on any level!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

We managed to avoid this particular snowfall. I'm sure we will get slammed later for our sins though...

and that is so cool about the cookie blog thing. Nifty!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yo' Cookie Czar! Go you! Cute book it'll be well used I'm sure :) Great score on the take out boxes too.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I love those chinese take-out boxes, they are the perfect size for not having to make tons of cookies but still giving people enough to feel some holiday joy. Congrats on your Cookie Czar appointment!

10:16 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Shouldn't that be Cookie Czarina? Either way -- congratulations!

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

Hi from Alaska! Its beautiful here. Lots of snow and about 25 degrees. Perfect!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O hail the Cookie Czar!!! Those ones look like they would taste divine!!!

That scrapbook....doesn't look like a scrapbook. It looks like at the very least a cut and sew panel!!! Dang! Girl your not suppose to out shine your mom!! In the sewing departmant anyway!
Moochie will LOVE his book.

I am soooooo proud of you!

Love, Mom

12:29 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Congratulations Ms. Cookie Czar!

3:50 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Love the takeout boxes. They have plastic ones at AC Moore and we take the clear plastic ones at $0.79 each and use red/green tissue and box up some jams we made this year. Makes a nice little gift!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

I think the book is adorable!

Also, Cookie Czar is the coolest title ever.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl...Cookie Czar! Keep those recipes coming.

Glad you got snow. Enjoy!

The book is cute. I'm sure Moochie will get alot of use out of it. I'm not into the scrapbooking thing either. I'm lucky to get pictures in photo albums(I'm still old school). I have some nurse friends at work that make scrapbooks on-line. Cute, but pricey.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:13 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Willow had one of those cloth books when she was little and she loved it - so myuch so that when she started daycare she took it with her and used it as a pillow!

Congrats on the award!

7:16 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Sweet! Your baking is always so inspiring.

Awesome book. I've been thinking about making a similar A-Z Alaska book for Best-Friend-From-Alaska's new baby...

7:32 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

mmm, cookies. congratulations!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hey! Congratulations on the new gig!

As for the snow ... you got more than we did ;).

9:14 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

OMG!!! Congrats!!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Congrats!
I posted a cookie recipe on my blog, but mine don't look half as appetizing as the stuff you bake. They're more... taste good cookies. Yours look like they taste good. Wanna send me a sample so I can make sure they taste as good as they look? ; )

5:28 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! Congrats on the Cookie Czar title! That's so awesome!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Cookie Czar is such an awesome and appropriate title! Congrats!

The fabric scarpbook is super cute too!

I didn't have to shovel the driveway this year. Apparently everyone and their mother owns a snow blower here, so my neighbor did it for me.

7:45 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Congratulations Cookie Czar! Awesome and well-deserved title!

10:37 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Congrats on Knitcircus!! And love the scrapbook!! I remember having one as a kiddo!

And yay for snow!!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv this!! And I am soooo super excited for this years new line to come out! Last year i looked everywhere for a scrapbook because I couldn’t find one, finally I got it keep posting…………

Tim Holtz

scrapbook

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home