Saturday, December 26, 2009

That's a Wrap!

We had a great Christmas here at Casa De Los Bezzes!

As predicted, Moochie had more fun with the wrapping paper and boxes than the actual gifts.

100_8220

100_8246

Even though it was a smaller Christmas than last year--thankfully kids don't really pay attention to that stuff--Chunky still managed to get a new lego set and a skateboard.

100_8235

100_8241

I also managed to finish my Elf Knock Off Hat!

100_8248
It's the Reverse Bathroom Mirror Self Portrait! (Where I put the camera on the shelf in the medicine cabinet behind the bathroom mirror, set the timer, and strike a pose!)

The deets:

Pattern: My own. Based on the hat Jovie wore in the Central Park public caroling scene in the movie "Elf."

Yarn: Louet Riverstone Chunky in white.

Needles: US9

Notes: While this is far from perfect, I think it was a good attempt to recreate this hat.

100_8272

I messed up in a few places as you can see in this picture.

100_8273

You can see where I missed a cable row on this panel of honeycomb. By the time I realized it, it was too far to rip back. Ripping cables back is a pain in the butt if you ask me. And the mistake doesn't give me as much grief as ripping back would have.

If you look really close you can also see where I got over eager and crossed my 8-stitch cable a little too early the first time, and a little too late up top. Ah well. At least my mistakes are parenthetical to the good part of the cables!

Overall, this was a fun knit and I had a good time copying it.

I'm also very proud of myself for decreasing these cables without messing them up to high hell! I've never been able to do this--even when I am following a pattern!

And the pom-pom? Nailed it!

100_8271
Pardon the damp hair.

I used the cardboard-donut sandwich method--thanks for the tips!

I can't wait til it gets cold again--or better yet, snows!! I've been wearing it all day!

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good Christmas. The hat looks great! Love, Aunt Susan

7:39 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Looks like the kiddos had a great time! The hat is awesome! I officially have hat envy.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You definitely nailed it! Your hat looks great.

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger CBear said...

OMG OMG OMG!

I *need* to make this pattern now... I had tried copying it, and it sucked hard.

Write up a pattern! Please?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Glad it was a great day. LOVE the hat.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

I've always loved that hat (and Elf) and you nailed it! You must write the pattern up, or even just your notes. It looks great!

8:24 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Cute elf hat!

And that skateboard is rad!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hat! That turned out just like the one in the movie!

The boys look like they were good and that Santa came to them!

Happy New Year!
Love, Mom

10:32 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

The hat is awesome, and you will never notice the errors while wearing it or even when it is off unless you choose to point them out!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

GREAT HAT!!! Looks like a great Christmas.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm glad everyone in your house had a merry Christmas. I love the hat!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome recreation of the hat! Looks like the kids enjoyed Christmas.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

that is a freaking fantabulous freaking hat!!!!!!!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I think the messed up cable looks like a design element. And the hat looks great. More possible snow on Sunday night so there's your chance. All of our snow is gone. It melted with the 50 degree day filled with rain.

8:30 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

OK, so the line of missed honeycomb cables makes that side "the back." I think it's a perfect fold line! ;-)

But as others have said, your hat looks fantastic. As someone who has never knit a hat, (yes, it's true!) I think this hat is fantastic and it may even inspire me to give hat-knitting a shot!

10:02 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Fabulous hat!! Just love it! Great job!!

Looks like the boys had a fabulous Christmas!!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Your Elf hat came out great! Big, comfy, and somewhat slouchy.

It's funny... I read that cats are, in many ways, like a 2-year-old human, except they never develop further, and come with much better dexterity. Well... our cats and Moochie have the paper/box thing in common, that's for sure!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Seems like a pretty good Christmas!

Also, nice elf hat! Surely the missed row of cables is a design feature to help the hat fold more smoothly.

10:52 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great job on the hat! Mistake, pshaw. See how it's right there in the middle of the hat? Totally a design feature.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous maryannlucy said...

I really want the pattern for that hat - it looks great!!!! Hat envy indeed!!
Looks like it was a great Christmas, christmas isn't christmas without the cardboard box hee hee

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home