Sunday, January 17, 2010

First FO of 2010

Last weekend, when I was out with Chris, Jen, Karen, and Christina the yarn store we met up in had these very intriguing DPN needle cases made by Lantern Moon.

LM1
Photo courtesy of hmm...shoot, now where did I steal this picture from? Hmm...darn, I don't remember. Ha ha!

That's what they look like folded up. Here's what they look like open.

lm2

Simply gorgeous and such a clever construction.

Price tag: $57.

Yikes.

I've been needing a new DPN case (remember my old VHS case case? It was getting too full and falling apart!) and figured I could sew myself one. However the typical rolls that are easy enough to make and you see for sale on etsy just weren't doing it for me.

What's a girl to do?

Why knock off a little Lantern Moon!

The outside:
100_8375
Note my cute little product model in the picture there. He would NOT get out of the shot. Ham!

The inside:
100_8376

All loaded up with DPNs and ready to go:
100_8378

Folded up and secured:
100_8379

On the dresser next to my Zonda-made interchangeable needle case:
100_8381

I am so happy with it!

There are some differences.

First, Lantern Moon uses some decadent silk. I just used three fat quarters and some plain pink fabric I had in my stash.

Second, Lantern Moon's closure is magnetic. I used a big-ass snap

I also made the mistake of underestimating how BIG of a circle I needed to use (the pizza pan was too small Karen!). Luckily I had a ginormous cookie/minicupcake tray in my cupboard that I used as a template for the main circle and closure flaps and I realized my first circles I traced using my pizza pan were too small before I cut!

That said, I probably could have gone with a bigger circle anyway because I do have one pair of DPNs that didn't fit in the holder. They're Plymouth and I think 8" long.

I'm still tickled with the results of this knock off!

I do want to kill my machine though. Every time the bobbin or the top-thread spool gets low on thread, the tension on The Beast goes all whacked out and the needle becomes unthreaded. I want to kill this machine. I'm seriously contemplating buying a new machine because no matter what I sew, I spend at least half the time wrestling with and cursing the machine and the other half actually sewing.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

That is really cool looking! I made a needle holder from my step-mother-in-law this year for Christmas, that was wicked easy to sew, and actually turned out pretty cool looking ... but the circle. Wow!

Gives me some ideas for next year ;).

11:53 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

how totally clever! And maybe your machine needs some maintenance? I know nothing about this sort of thing, but you could call around. Otherwise, go look up new machines and get a good basic one. Getting pissed off every time you try to craft is crap.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really cool needle holder. Your Grandma called me to make sure that you were not beating up her old Featherweight! It sounds like the start of your bobbin is not good and you may just lose that thread. My tension goes haywire if I don't catch it before the end of the top thread or bobbin thread goes out. I then wrap this thread onto an empty spool and use it to baste my quilts. So taht way I don't waste it. If you have needles that are 8 inches long and are being stored in a half circle that means that the diameter of the circle will be 16 inches. Plus what ever seam size you are using. Hope all this info helps. Love, Mom

PS:I do Love that my machine does a beep before the bobbin goes out.

2:41 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! That's an awesome knock off of it! I've found myself enamored of that DPN case too. But I don't think I could sew anything CLOSE to it myself! Props to you!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

That is a great idea for a case! Your version came out fantastic too!

4:04 PM  
Blogger SiressYorkie said...

WOoooowww...that' aamazing! I've been admiring those Lantern Moon holders for AGES and gawping over the price. Yours came out great!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous!!!

I second the comment about getting your machine serviced. Had mine done last summer and it now sews like it did when it was new.

Jen

4:37 PM  
Blogger Lulah said...

Looks awesome...you're very talented!

5:24 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Awesome knockoff!

SO with you on wanting a new machine. I was ready to hurl my Beast out the window today for much the same reason - the spool is running kinda near to the end (you can just barely start to see the spool underneath) and the stitches keep skipping as a result. After ripping seams five times I finally gave up. ARGH.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow! I'm amazed that you were able to knock that out so fast and having only peeked at it in the store for a minute! It turned out gorgeous. I wouldn't even know where to start!

Try getting the machine serviced if its not too much. I got an inexpensive Kenmore and it does everything I need it to do and lots more that I don't need.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

You are the queen of knock-offs! Your needle case is adorable!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Very cute. I keep my needles in a Stewart's root beer jar. I think a nice, cloth holder might be a better solution.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

You rock! That is awesome! I so want one now! I've been contemplating new dpn storage as well. I second the suggestion on servicing, a PIA, but necessary evil. Or a new one, that'll work too ;)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

If, I, uh, got some fabric for you, would you make me one? Ignore the fact that I have a sewing machine of my own. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that is really cute and clever! i like yours better than the original. i don't understand all the silk needle cases out there. sure the fabric is decadent but it's not going to last when used for something that gets a lot of abuse.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

It's perfect Bezzie, well done!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Very cool!

8:00 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Clever! I like it a lot, you did an awesome job. As for your machine, maybe it's the inner end of the thread that's getting wrapped up with the remaining bobbin thread (if that makes any sense)? If I'm lazy about winding my bobbins and leave any kind of tail when I start winding, even though eventually it gets covered up, the minute I run low, that tail wreaks havoc on tension.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Wow, that's fantastic! Way to go, Bezzie!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Awesome knock-off!

On servicing your beast, it's much cheaper than getting a new machine...unless you're looking to get a cheapy hello kitty one from Target...like maybe I am...just about the same price as servicing...

But if it's the bobbin...um you'll just have to learn to um work with it...yeah.

9:11 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

OK, that case looks fabulous! I'm happy with my current DPN needle storage, but I will certainly keep that in mind for future endeavors. Nicely done!

11:23 AM  
Blogger janna said...

That's very cool! Once more thing I would make if I could get over my fear of the sewing machine...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Excellent knock off! Print fabric seems far more serviceable than sheer silk.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

That's a GREAT knock-off! Worthy of an undercover shop in the bowels of Chinatown!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home