Friday, January 22, 2010

Snapfish Rocks

You might remember my rant wherein I said Lifetouch sucks.

They did make good when I finally got through to them and talked to a human.

I hereby upgrade them to a half-suck. Kind of like a half eaten lollipop. You know, like a Charms Sucker that you thought was a Tootsie Pop and when you realized it was cheap gum in the center instead of chewy chocolate, you gave up on it.

This brings me to tell you about the loveliness that is Snapfish.

Back when we were young and naive parents to baby Chunky, and admittedly this was before the dawn of the digital camera, we stupidly dragged him to Sears and shelled out gobs of money to get his "One Year" picture taken.

Believe it or not we were saving money because we didn't do it every three months like everyone else seemed to at the time.

Best part about subsequent kids is your stupid-shit-meter is better honed and you realize that spending $120 on a picture package of shots that are cute to get in your Christmas card, but soon end up in the trash or some dusty corner of the junk drawer, or you look at once a year when you're replacing last year's school picture with the current year's.

I wanted a nice 8x10" of Moochie at one year old but didn't want to a.) drag him to a studio and b.) pay for it.

So I plopped his cute little ass down on a day when his clothes weren't too food stained and his nose wasn't too snotty and took a picture.

100_8364
Alert LL Cool J--the look is back!

I cropped down this picture a bit and uploaded it to Snapfish (It's a little offcenter and you can see the cat-scratches on the chair. Classy!).

I dropped it into my cart and ordered an 8x10" shot.

It ran me $5.

It came quickly in the mail.

But--the final picture cropped off the tippy-top of his head. You could still see his face--but it was cropped just enough to bug me. Especially because it didn't match what I thought I had dropped into my cart.

I emailed Snapfish and told them about this and within six hours I had a response.

Ends up I am a dumbass and didn't realize that for certain sizes of prints they have to autocrop them.

Ohhh! Read the fine print? Why the hell would I do that? It's un-American!

Snapfish was nice enough to give this dumbass a credit for what I spent and I re-ordered my Moochie print after dinking around with it pursuant to the instructions. I have no doubt I'll have a decent full-Moochie-headed picture soon to hang next to the half-suck Lifetouch picture of Chunky on the wall.

Now if only Verizon was a decent company that responded to their email inquiries as comprehensively...

But that's a different blog post for a different day!

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

What a cute picture! Smiley-face!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

I just NOW got the first professional pic of all 4 last month. I hate them. I only did it for my mom and your parents. Never again.

And you know what? The cat hair and LL pant leg show how it really is, and that is much better than some glossed over crap. I want to remember the kids how they REALLY were, not some photoshopped, over produced crap. Mooch is cute as hell, and now thanks to you, will always be remembered as the freakin character he is.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Don't you just love excellent customer service? I don't have any little ones yet but definitely won't be shelling out money for photo studio pictures! I like it that you did this one yourself. It came out great!

5:46 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Yup, the only pics that have been taken are preschool pic shots - I think I paid one time for a professional. I prefer the in action non-posed on a carpet or in a bathtub with a large fake rubber duckie shot. We do the snapfish and shutterfly thing (shutterfly can be picked up at a Target too). Don't even get me started on Verizon - I'm with Sprint now, better but not outstanding.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Marie Grace said...

Oh yes... the awful days at the Sears photo studio with wiggly babies and high hopes for good pictures. Ugh. I had almost forgotten.

For my own prints I use Mpix. Awesome prints, easy to use. Just say'in.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

It's all about the shout-outs for good customer service in my house. I'll have to check out this Snapfish thing... Although I guess individual results may vary since we all don't have a Moochie to work with. Cuuuute.

And LL Cool J? Hi-frikking-larious :-)

7:30 AM  
Blogger bloberry said...

I had the same problem the first time I used Snapfish. I didn't understand how to use their system of cropping, but now I do and all is well. I like ordering from Snapfish and having them printed at my local store, where I can usually pick them up the same day (and on heavier paper than Snapfish uses). Very convenient!

Your kids are sooooo cute!!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Heck! I would check the printer ink and get some photo paper and print that pic of Moochie right up! Good thing good looks and cuteness don't break computers! Love, Mom

11:05 AM  
Blogger SHELLY said...

Sorry to threadjack, but Bezzie..........do you know what happened to Yorkie's blog? It seems to be MISSING!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I love those do it yourself websites. I had Lifetouch re-do Pi's school pic twice and they all sucked. Every last one. So I took another shot of her and ordered it on Shutterfly. That's the one we sent out and have displayed at home. It cost a fraction of the Lifetouch.

Let's not get me started on customer service. I've been on the phone with Comcast since yesterday trying to resolve one stupid issue.

Moochie looks adorable!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Shelly--Yorkie put her blog on a bit of a hiatus due to unwanted eyeballs if you catch my drift. No worries--everything is cool w/her.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Defending verizon here. We have had some really good customer service (and some so-so service as well). It really depends on who answers the phone. It pays to hang up and try again to get a better person.

That's such a great shot of Mooch. I'd frame that one in a heartbeat. I'd like to get a family photo done but don't want to pay a ton of money.

5:52 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

He is just too cute!!!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Great pic! I need to try Snapfish!!
And Verizon...TOTAL SUCKAGE!

10:16 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I think you're better off doing all kid shots on a nice background in your own house with your own digital camera. Your kids stays relaxed, there's no waiting around or getting a fake/dazzled smile from those kiddie picture places *coughcoughTHEPICTUREPEOPLEcough*, and you control everything. Well, as much as you can.

I'm glad you had success with Snapfish...and eventually with Lifetouch!

12:34 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

My idiot brother and SIL (who I do like) are "those people" who have gotten professional pictures done monthly since my niece made her appearance in April. I think your way is much smarter.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Snapfish, thanks for the tip! I have a whole bunch of pictures I want prints of. I'll have to give them a try.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Chesty Love is me...what with having my blog busted, I've done a bit of an identity switch...

Yorkie

12:54 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

My husband claims that there ids nobody on hte planet that is competent at their jbob anymore. I can sort of se his point. He is currently waiting on a Purolater delivery. For 5 daysa it's been wandering around town. First excuse-address is undeliverable. They called confirmed address and STILL can't find it. I live on a major street. (this excuse was good for3 days.... Excuse 2-inclement weather (it was sunny) excuse 3-mechanical problems. The depot is close enough they could have WALKED it over. Hell, we'd go ove rto get it, but they still have it on the damn truck!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Way to go! May I recommend Artscow.com? It's a great site for making photo-stuff or getting prints. Word to the wise, though - NEVER NEVER pay full price there, way too expensive. They come out with wonderful discounts constantly, though, so you just have to work around the sales.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home