Monday, February 08, 2010

Absolut Citron

Back when I could drink, Absolut Citron was one of my faves.

But that was many moons ago and now my citrons are much fuzzier.

100_8448

Artsy Fartsy Shot! Especially since oranges give me gas! Ha ha! TMI!

Here she is all blocked and ready to wear.

100_8449

The details--

Pattern: The ubiquitous Citron

Yarn: Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Iris Heather

Needles: US 6

Notes: I didn't modify this except to not knit the last section before adding the final ruffle. I read on The Place That Shall Not Be Named that other people using this yarn, because it is a little less in yardage from the yarn originally used in the pattern, that they came close to running out. Playing it safe, I omitted the last section.

Yeah, I would have had enough yarn.

Moral of the story: don't believe everything you read.

Do I like this pattern? Yes. I enjoyed knitting it. It was a good mindless bit of car knitting.

I do not enjoy knitting with laceweight. It's too easy to drop a stitch. But that could also have to do with the fact that I knit it in the dark many Saturday nights in the car waiting for my laundry to finish washing.

I also do not enjoy shawls/shawlettes/scarves/scarflettes, whatever the hell you want to call this.

I have a black boatneck stretch velour top that I don't wear because the boatneck shows my bra straps. I thought Citron would be great to wear with that top to hide my bra straps.

This time I should have believed what I read:

"Draped around the shoulders or scrunched around the neck, this piece will add just a bit of dressiness to any ...outfit."

Uhg. "Dressy" is not my style and the ruffles on this are just not me.

That, and I don't know how the hell you are supposed to wear a shawl/shawlette.

100_8450

I think it looks stupid like this (and notice how in the pattern there are no shots of the front when the back is fully "opened").

100_8451

It makes a cute little flirty babushka.

Unfortunately "flirty" and "babushka" should never be used together, let alone worn.

100_8452

Scrunched up, it kind of loses all of the details that make it unique and it just looks like a purple dust bunny decided to get amourous with my neck.

I don't know why I do this--shawls/shawlettes, dressy scarves and lacey little nothings are not my style, and yet I knit them anyway!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger kristi said...

Oh yeah - I hear ya! I love the idea of looking all flirty and lacey and them realize it just isn't me. I finally equate it to art - I can admire and appreciate it but it does not mean I could do it.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

It came out great! Those items don't really fit in with my style either yet I somehow gravitate towards them. I think I'm determined to make them work for me somehow.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I like it. Could you do a closure of some type?
Trying to hide bra straps?! This from the person who would wear a black bra under a white blouse!!! Love, Mom

7:50 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ideally i think the half circle shape would be best suited for wear if it were larger. the shawlette aspect makes it more limited, in my opinion. of course, making it bigger would require even more stockinette and i think i would die of boredom.

but yeah. i don't really wear shawls either and yet i keep making them.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Well, the shawl is pretty, even if it isn't your style. I love making hats, even though I almost never wear them, so go figure!

10:44 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Yes, it does look stupid, but it's more the sticking-out tongue, the thumbs-up, and the t-shirt that says PIGS that makes it look stupid, not the shawlette itself. How about a shot of it over the top you're thinking about wearing it with?

And you can always wear a shawlette under your coat instead of a scarf...

1:07 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I like to wear mine backwards (body of it over my chest) with the tails tossed around my neck. It makes for a great scarf under a jacket.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I'm with you, except since I pretty much quit knitting lately I could use a scarflette or two. Go figure.
And who knew oranges were gas makers? hee hee hee

5:46 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I can't wear shawlettes either. I can pull a big shawl if I have a shawl pin and its wide enough to meet in front. Useless or not, your Citron is really pretty.

My drink of choice used to be a Stoli and Sprite or Jack and Coke. Yumm!

6:31 PM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

I do that too! Except I never actually finish my shawls, so the style problem never really manifests, ha ha.

It's pretty and looks like it FEELS wonderful. Just close your eyes and enjoy.

6:40 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Love love your artsy shot! hehehe Gorgeous shawl, but I so agree on the shawlette/shawl thing. Just not me. I loved knitting my shawl that jazz last year but never wore it and gifted it to my mom (who loves it!).

7:56 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

yeah I dont get the shawlette thing either. They lure you in with their prettiness but are very short on functionality. And yours sho is purty.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well it does look very nice! Hope you can figure out some way to use it.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

It's lovely! Try it with a funky (lightweight) vintage pin.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yeah,I don't quite get the shawlete thing either. maybe if you wear it so the 'point' is on one shoulder and use a hairstick (or a chopstick or bamboo skewer...) to pin it shut on the other shoulder?

5:33 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I've been thinking of trying to do kind of non-lace shawl with my massive sock yarn stash. I keep seeing stuff my LYS owner has knit and she looks great wearing them. I keep wondering if I'll feel about the finished things the way you feel about Citron. We shall see ... eventually!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

you made me do it - you made me pick up the sticks and string again with this project---aaaaaahhhhhh (and thanks!)

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

You look fabulous darlin! I personally wear most of my shawls like in picture #3, all scrunched up. If they wanna see details, they gotta ask. Nosy fks.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home