Thursday, February 11, 2010

Big News

Saturday, about two weeks ago, my Youngest Younger Sister called me.

Not entirely weird. But we email each other constantly at work, so we don't really talk on the phone much.

But she had big news to spill.

She has just gotten back from a vacation in the Bahamas with her boyfriend.

Who on that vacation became her fiance!!!

This is a double joy!!!

First because of course Youngest Younger Sister is getting hitched, and we'll be welcoming her fiance into the fray that is the weirdness that is my family (Dr. Mad Scientist will attest to this!), but also because:

100_8527
I splurged recently on this little vintage repro sign at AC Moore. It was $22 normally marked down to $5. If you watch a lot of kid's TV (like I do--not by choice), you will also recognize it as hanging on the walls of the set of iCarly.

Come Summer 2011 when she gets hitched, the family Bez will be doing just this!

GOING HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very excited. The timing couldn't be better.

By Summer 2011 Dr. Mad Scientist will have a year of PAID teaching under his belt and both he and Chunky will be out of school--thus we don't have to worry about them taking any vacation time off school (which teachers don't really get and Chunky is very anal about his perfect-attendance record). And I can easily take a week off of work to attend the ritual hitching!

It will cost us approximately $2400 (give or take depending on the final date they set for the big day) to fly the four of us back to the Homeland (and now you know why it will have been 11.5 years since we returned home--it's cheaper and faster to fly four people Europe).

This gives us about nine months to save up enough money to go. Easily doable.

And if you're doing the math--yes, I said nine months and yes, the wedding is in like 18 months. But someone doesn't start working until September 2010 and until then there's sadly no saving going on.

Chunky is very psyched! He'll finally get to see a real mountain! And the Pacific Ocean!!

We'll get to take our babies HOME!

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That's so exciting!!! I can't imagine how thrilled you are.

So Chunky has never been to Alaska? Man, he's going to love seeing where you guys are from!

7:23 AM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

Woo to the hoooo! If Jersey snow makes you grin like that, I expect to see cartwheels once you hit Alaskan soil. ;)

Happy for you.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yay! For you and your family. Such good news.

Congratulations to your sister and her intended, and I can imagine how exciting it is for you to be (finally) planning a trip home ;).

7:55 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Yay! Congrats to your sister and her newly-minted fiance, and to you guys for getting to go home!

Weird to think I've been in Alaska more recently than you have...

8:05 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Ahhh...that really made me smile. Especially the part about taking your babies home.

I hope it is a wonderful trip. (You mean Chunky has never seen the Poconos? ;->)

8:05 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh how exciting! I'm already looking forward to all the pictures you'll be taking. =D

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for all of you!! I know you guys will have a blast with the family.

Chunky will be in awe of everything...mountains, ocean, glaciers, moose, etc. I was when we went to Alaska & I only could image seeing it through a kid's eyes.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! So that is the phone call you were hinting about. Everyone knew but your YYS! Can't wait to see you all! You know when it comes time to fly back to NJ, Chunky and Moochie may just get lost. Love, Mom
PS: Now if we could just get your CO Bro and his family up at the same time!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Great news! Even greater when it comes on a crappy day in Newark!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Congrats to your sister! And yey for home-going! I can honestly say I go home far more often than you do...but even when I lived 3,000 miles from LA, it was still cheaper for me to go home than to fly the folks out to the islands.

Good luck with the saving!

And I hope you get a few more snow days before winter ends.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

That's such great news! We know what it's like to have to save to 'take our babies home', and how great it feels when you finally get there. Worth every penny, in my book. Congrats to YYS and your family :-)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

How exciting for everyone. I bet you're family can't wait to see the kids.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Woo-hoo! What kind of things do you want to do with the boys there that you can't do where you are now?

9:47 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Yay! What great news!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Marie Grace said...

Awesome! Are you sure you'll come back?

11:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm glad you got some snow. I'm all for the white stuff but trying to get to work has been rough. two days home from work (two vacation days). I enjoyed the days off but hate using the vacation time.

We waited to shovel until it finally stopped snowing. There's a couple of feet of snow out there. It's funny to see all of this. It's so odd for us here.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Oh,and Yay!! for the flying home. I know how excited you all must be.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Woollycraft Workshops said...

How lovely, best of luck to you all.

12:37 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Having spent eight years living cross-country from my family, I completely understand your excitement. That's excellent news on all fronts!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Woot! That is freakin' awesome for both you and your sissy! Bring me back something pretty....lol

2:00 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

very happy for you. Our Xmas trip was just 2 & 1/2 years - I cannot imagine 11 years away from home! The saving will be all worth it :0)

3:38 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

that's so exciting!!! I can't wait to hear how the kids love it!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for you guys!!! Congrats to your sister!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I am so happy for you. Congrats!! (and congrats to your sister also)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

How awesome! Congratulations to your sister!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Birdie said...

Yay! I can't wait to see you all up here! I know that the 'rents are super excited too! It's going to be so much fun having you guys here!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Congratulations to your sister! How exciting for everyone.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

YAY ALASKA! Congrats to your sis!

And um, I'm sorry but WHEN DID MOOCHIE GET SO BIG?!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

That's wonderful Bezzie! Very happy for you and congrats to sis and fiancé.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home