Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fat Tuesday, In Every Sense of the Word

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday--or as I like to view it: the day when the other half of the office takes a long lunch on Ash Wednesday. Now I can look forward to them stinking up the office with microwaveable or take-out fish on Fridays*, and whining about having given up sweets for Lent.

This means there will be no Bezzie-made cookies brought into my office for 40 days and 40 nights.

The whine-factor is too much.

Did Jesus whine? Probably not. But he was alone in the desert, so maybe he did.

Anyway, back onto the subject of cookies.

Even though I'm raising a boy that comes home and says to me with wide eyed wonderment:

"Mom, my friend Kole's mom packed him storebought cookies in his lunch. Storebought cookies in your lunch? People actually eat those?"

I have my own temptations.

Mainly these:

100_8546

My old college roommate and I lived off of Grandma's double chocolate cookies for two years.

They were 85 cents in the laundry room vending machine and oh so delicious compared to cafeteria food.

Imagine my delight when I discovered a vending machine near my office that sold them!

They're still 85 cents--but much smaller nowadays!

I thought I would read the back for the nutritional information -- to see exactly where my Freshman and Sophomore 15 came from.

100_8547

Look at the calories.

There are two cookies in the package. One cookie is 150 calories. But two cookies is 310 calories.

WTF?

Can someone enlighten me as to why this is? Shouldn't it only be 300 calories?

Or when they say "entire package" does that mean I have to ingest the wrapper too?

Weird.

Needless to say, as much as I loved these as a college kid, I don't see myself hitting the vending machine for them much more.

100_8544

I'll stick to my own cookies--just as my own cookie has stuck to Moochie's face!

Happy Fat Tuesday!


*For some weird reason, no matter WHERE I work, my desk is always near the lunchroom and I have to endure the mish-mash of food smells for two hours every day.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Chunky would be doomed if I was his mom, because the closest thing my kids get to homemade cookies are the little rounds of Pillsbury or Nestle Toll House dough, ha, ha! Those Grandma's cookies are pretty good though! My favorite store-bought chocolate cookies are actually these CVS brand ones (drugstore brand) - they use real butter, and really good chocolate chips (sounds crazy, but it's true).

And as far as fasting for Lent goes, I was raised Catholic (am not Catholic anymore), and went to Catholic schools, but I still never understood how giving up meat for Lent, but then eating gourmet seafood like lobsters or crab legs or shrimp (for people who like seafood) is supposed to be some sort of deprivation? Wouldn't it be more of a deprivation if the person didn't eat any kind of animal products at all?

8:42 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Uh oh, they lied. I just checked the nutritional info on them. 325 Cals not 310. Fat has 9 Cals a gram, Protein and Carbs each have 4. Do the math. But if you want to feel better about eating them, subtract the fiber from the carb count,, and that is your true carb count. Then again, if you want to hear how appetizing these are watch this,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLZO2w9xLA

I can be such a killjoy at times. Then again nothing, NOTHING beats homemade!!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

OHHHHHHH!!! Gram-maw cookies!!!! I love me some gram-maw cookies and a Pepsi, too, wasn't it?? :) The good ol' days!!!! Thanks for the trip down memory lane...and the craving for some gram-maw cookies!!! LMAO! :)

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering when Lent was coming up!
Laura, you are a "Recovering Catholic" like the rest of us!
I have always wondered if the info that they put on the packages were correct. I have never studied them in great detail. Juice is my pet label...100% juice and then when you read the ingredients water is the first and frutose is the second!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous sarah said...

fish in the microwave. P U
Mardi Gras was very fun this year! Not of the Catholic half of New Orleans but I'll be hearing lots of complaining of missing good stuff.
Home made is the way to go!!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yucky food smells!!! Poor you!!

We had a lunch at work last week and they had those cookies. I've never tried them and took mine home to the kids. Now I want it. LOL

10:45 AM  
Anonymous knittingkitty said...

Maybe they assume you will lick the wrapper for the last of the cookie goodness and that tacks on the extra calories?

I'm so thankful I no longer work with the woman who microwaved popcorn shrimp almost daily for lunch. Shudder.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I love Grandma cookies! Though my favorites have to be cookies from a place called Hope's Cookies in Philly. Sooo fantastic!

I'm a practicing Catholic and observe Lent. People aren't really supposed to whine about it though. I'm not going to get into the specifics, but there's alot more to Lent than just abstaining from meat or sweets for a few days. Anyone (your whiny co-workers included) who only focus on that aspect have got it all wrong.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Oh, the fish problem... we have people who like to eat squid; when I was pregnant, I had to leave the room to keep from embarassing myself.

I'm aiming to have my kids say those sorts of things about storebought cookies; that is so cute!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

People still do the fish on friday thing? Nobody I know does. And I'm Catholic too.

9:32 PM  
Blogger BammerKT said...

If the son of God whines in the desert and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

That cookie thing is very weird.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It reminds me of the time my girls went to a friend's house and came home and said, "mom, did you know soup comes in cans?".

If I could make oreos at home (that tasted as good as the store bought ones) I'd never buy cookies again.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Okay, I love my mom, really I do...but mine was the opposite reaction when she brought home cookies that she had made while helping out some nuns.

We were stunned. She...baked? And the cookies were heavenly...but...my mom made these? Was all we kept saying...

And here's a "we lived in the lake" comment...at my church we were told to fast all day on Fridays and have our non-meat dinners...but maybe it was to save people from having to smell the weird fish lunches we'd have gooten? Hmmm...

(And yeah, your posts haven't been showing up, I'm just a persistent voyeur, apparently.)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Ack, I remember eating those out of the vending machine on nights when I worked late at the clay studio in college. Maybe 310 calories includes the wrapper.

8:27 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'd be happy to bake cookies more often, but I can't justify baking very often since I'm office-less and would therefore wind up eating all of them myself.

then again, I did just grab a 100 calorie box of Trader Joe's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Good enough, and they aren't going to counteract my work at the gym!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home