Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fin!

I simply loved the pictures of the crowd when Alaskan Kikkan Randall was competing in the Olympics.

They weren't waving the American flag, they were waving the Alaskan flag.

So break out your eight stars of gold on fields of blue!

alaska-flag

My sweater is done!

100_8556

I love it!!!! So much so I'm posting pre-blocked modeling pictures.

The details!

Pattern: Four Seasons Cardi, by Rachel Dickman from Knitcircus #9

Yarn: Mirasol Tupa (part wool, part silk--I can't remember what the percentages are). You'll remember this yarn from my failed Skinny Empire. Ugh. I think I used 6 skeins. I'm not sure since I rolled everything into one ginormous ball after frogging Skinny Empire.

Needles: US8

Notes: Oh how I modified this pattern!!

1. I did the top in stockinette as opposed to reverse stockinette. I don't like reverse stockinette--usually. There are some exceptions.

2. I didn't follow the pattern at all for the top. My gauge was off with this yarn and there was no way to get it to be spot on unless I went up to like size 99 needles--which would have been too holey given this yarn is DK weight. I figured since it was a top-down sweater, I could easily make up the top based on my measurements, the gauge I was getting with this yarn and size 8 needles and the trusty top-down formula.

3. Instead of sewing the tie ribbon, I made a row of eyelets to thread it through. And I did it higher. I was never fond of the across the boob tie--but now I'm a fan. It makes poor Laverne and Shirley (who have shrunken remarkably post-Moochie incubation) look wonderful.

100_8554

4. I don't think the original pattern called for a specific edging on the collar and sleeves. I believe it relied on the natural roll of the knitting (don't quote me on this though--I'm too lazy to dig up the pattern--Moochie grabbed it one day while I was sitting on the floor knitting and took off with it). Since I didn't do my reverse stockinette, I needed something. I used what is quickly becoming my favorite edging--the applied i-cord around the neck and the top of the opening.

100_8553

5. Speaking of the sleeves--the pattern called for knitting them so they were a little "puffy." I'm not so into that. I just knit them straight. I then decided to edge them by doing a *K2tog, YO* and then five more rounds of stockinette which after I bound off, I flipped under and sewed to the inside of the arm.

100_8555

I absolutely love the way the sleeve edging turned out!

I think that's all of the mods. When I think about it, the only thing I really followed in the pattern was the general style of the cardigan, and the lace ribbing at the bottom of the sweater.

I have nothing against the pattern, the reason I modified so heavily is because of my gauge problem and the fact I wasn't sure I had enough yarn to finish it. I felt I had a little more control in guestimating how much yarn I'd need modifying it myself.

Good thing too--check out how much I had left when all was said and done!

100_8551

Whew!

So there you go--I cheated and started a little earlier than the Olympic's official start, DQ me if you must, but I got a great sweater out of the deal!

And finally, just for Janna: proof that I do make funny faces when the FO doesn't suck!

100_8552

Actually Squeaky cat was behind the camera when I took this and I was making faces at her before the camera went off.

Do you like the patented Interweave Knits tug-at-the-sweater pose?

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Congrats! It looks great!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

Very very cute on you!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Its gorgeous on you!!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Love it! Makes me feel guilty about my unfinished sweater sitting in the basket ;-) I think the green looks great - very nice!

9:29 PM  
Blogger janna said...

It's really cute! I don't like puffy sleeves, either, but they seem to be in style this year. I like your picot edging, too.

And, sure - blame the cat!!! ;-)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I love it! Looks pretty good on you! :P

11:07 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Looks great!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Very nice indeed. I like the picot edge on the sleeves, nice touch. And the ribbon is so feminine, very ladylike. Apart from the sticking your tongue out bit, of course :0P

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is my sweater! I LOVE the edging on the sleeves! I think that I would have gone with a velvet ribbon but other than that it looks GREAT! Love, Mom

7:30 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

Just lovely - the yarn really works with the lace pattern, too!

8:02 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

cute and very flattering! great job

9:06 AM  
Blogger Stickyfingers said...

That's gorgeous! I want one.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Good job! Looks great and I love the ribbon.

10:38 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I reaaaaally like those two colours, the green and the brown. Excellent taste, Bezzie! ya done good!

10:54 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! We have a winner! It looks fantastic!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Looks great!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Great posing. The sweater is really wearable looking (more that you can say about some of the IK sweaters). And the color looks good on you.

Pipe in the National Anthemn. We have a winner.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a cute sweater! I love little summery sweaters - hopefully one day I'll be able to knit well enough to make one.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. I do like puffy sleeves - maybe I'm just a dork or something, ha, ha!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Gorgeous sweater! I won't embarrass you (or myself) by gushing about how talented I think you are for being able to make something like that ....

8:55 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

It looks very good on you, and you can change out the ribbons.

12:05 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Applied I-cord is made of win. Great sweater!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice work on that sweater!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Awesome job you did there!

I'm so far behind in blog-reading, I must be ahead.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Gorgeous! Love the colors!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

You're rockin' that sweater, chica!!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home