Sunday, February 07, 2010

Futbol Americano

I'm not really into the Superbowl this year.

I can't stand Peyton Manning (or Eli for that matter...). Plus they creamed the Jets, so yeah.

But on the other hand the Saints don't really do it for me. Meh.

However, it's a great excuse for football food! Ha ha!

We're having hotwings tonight for dinner. I've never made them before (outside of the crockpot) so it should be interesting.

The hotwings interrupts our normal every-other-Sunday pizza schedule. We ate it last night.

Because someone asked about my crust--I'm gonna give you my version of do-it-yourself crust. I encourage you to try making your own crust from scratch. You'll never go back to those pre-made crusts again!

Here's my disclaimer. I do not subscribe to the faith that dictates that you must follow a recipe to a tee, especially when it's for bread. I used to follow the recipe that Betty C. had for pizza crust, but it was an all white-crust, and we wanted whole wheat (because that's what we were addicted to when we'd buy the Boboli).

Therefore, using Betty C.'s recipe as a springboard, here's what I've come up with.

Start with 3 teaspoons of yeast (or you could use one packet of yeast--that's a little less).
100_8456

Add a cup of hot water (not too scalding hot, but not tepid either), and a "glug" of honey. Maybe 1/8 of a cup?
100_8457

Splash in some olive oil. Again, maybe three "glugs" from the bottle?
100_8458

Finally add in about 1.75 cups of white flour and 1.75 cups of whole wheat flour. I do use a measuring cup for this...but for the 3/4 cup part--I just kind of guestimate using the 1 cup cup.
100_8459

Take a fork and mix it all together.
100_8460

It's not going to stick much at this point. What I like to do is hand knead it a bit in the bowl, form it into a ball and let it sit for 10 minutes while I brown the sausage for the pizza.

I then roll it out onto my pizza stone with a rolling pin and "decorate" it with toppings.

100_8462

Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes and the crust is perfectly cooked all the way through. It's crispy at the bottom, but soft in the middle.

100_8465

Those "finished" pictures are actually of a mini-Moochie pizza I made for his royal highness (I dice up his toppings a bit more for his half-gummy mouth). His cooks for 15 minutes.

May your favorite team win or at the very least may your pizza always satisfy!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Come on...pull for the Saints for me!
That pizza looks amazing. MMMMM

11:46 AM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

I have been making my own pizzas at home forever. I don't much like the pizza stone though, I have a pan that is 10 years old and perfectly seasoned- it does the trick. It IS super easy to make your own crust, I could never eat the premade kind!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Homemade pizza is a favorite in our house. I love it. Our stone broke and we have to replace it. So, for now it's deep dish.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

We had homemade pizza last night, too :) I always make my dough in my breadmachine - and I don't know what it was about last night's dough, but it was fabulous. Of course, it may have been the apres shovelling famishment that made it taste so good :) I couldn't tell from the pictures - what toppings do you use? W will only eat ham, pineapple, and mushroom.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pizza looks good! But the wheat flour would do me in...I'ld have to get on the exerciser and do 30 minutes.
As for the super bowl I really don't care who wins. I just know that YYS and Jeff are haveing people over to TTH. That should put Edie into a tail spin!
Love, Mom

2:11 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I make my own crust, too -- so easy and so much better than store bought! I usually cheat on the sauce, though, and use store bought. Actually, my favorite "sauce" at the moment is pesto! Do you have a sauce recipe you like?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

That looks good - wish the rest of my family like olives...

7:29 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Someday, I will give that a try. Thanks for the recipe!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

That's pretty much how I make pizza dough too, a glug of this, a splash of that. We had potatoe skins for our football food!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Nom nom nom. We aren't sports fans, but Mr SABLE was kind of hoping I'd stock up on Super Bowl snacks so we could enjoy that part of it all, without actually watching.

8:48 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Great game!! So glad the Saints won!

That pizza looks delish!! Hope you guys had a fun evening!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That looks really good!

Hubby watched the game alone. Pi and I abandoned him to watch the sound of music.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yum.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Mmmm. Pizza. Your crust recipe looks easy and delicious.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I'm coming out of lurkdom to comment on your pizza dough. I made it last night based on your recipe and it came out great. This was only my second time making it but my first time was a disaster. My dough came out very wet and sticky but I think thats because I added too much olive oil. I may have misunderstood the "three glugs" part. Any way, I just ended up sprinkling more flour on it and spreading it out by hand in the the pizza pan instead of rolling it out. My family loved it so thanks so much for posting that!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

What is the oven temp?

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home