Friday, February 12, 2010

Something To Declare

Today is the start of the Winter Olympics.

And if you're a knitter or crocheter--the Knitting Olympics put on by everyone's favorite Yarn Harlot or the Ravelympics.

You guys know how I feel about the Yarn Harlot, so although I did participate in the last Knitting Olympics in 2004, I will not be patronizing Ms. H's program.

That leaves the Ravelympics.

Ok, putting aside my meh-ness for The Place That Shall Not Be Named, I just can't get on board with this name.

***

Stricken Patient lies in bed looking despondently out at the cold gray February afternoon.

There's a knock at the door and a Tall Bald Doctor comes striding in clasping a clipboard.

Stricken Patient turns her head and meets Tall Bald Doctor's eyes.

Tall Bald Doctor breaks Stricken Patient's gaze to look down at his chart.

Stricken Patient: What is it doctor? Is it bad? Oh please tell me!

A shadow passes over Tall Bald Doctor's expression as he looks up at his chart at Stricken Patient lying in her hospital bed.

Tall Bald Doctor: I'm sorry, I'm afraid you have....

Stricken Patient (impatient and annoyed now, with her voice rising): Tell me! Tell me!

Tall Bald Doctor: You have an infection of your ravelympics.

Stricken Patient: Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! I'll never knit again!!!!!! Why God?! Why?!

***

Yeah, I think that name sounds like a terminal disease that is disgusting and can't be discussed over the dinner table.

Therefore, I'm playing by my own rules and have something to declare.

I have already knit for one day on this:

KC9
Picture stolen from Knitcircus!

The Four Season's Cardi from Knitcircus #9.

I hope to have it done by the time the Winter Olympics are over.

I figure it's cool to play by my own rules as I realized today I've got some Winter O street cred.

I was checking out the Alaskan contingent to this Winter Olympics.

I went to high school with one of them (if only for a year--she graduated with Younger Younger Brother), and another one was actually at our wedding.

We invited Olympian's girlfriend, she brought him along as her guest. She was the ex-girlfriend of Dr. Mad Scientist's Best Man and a friend of Dr. Mad Scientist. She's married to Olympian now, but we're pretty sure she brought him to our wedding to rub it in Best Man's face. Ha ha! They did not have the best of breakups from what I hear.

Such a big state, but such a small world!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Cute Cardi! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Talk about a small world!

I can't bring myself to participate in timed things. Knowing I only have a certain amount of days makes me shut down and want to do nothing with my project. Its a head thing.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Yeah Im with you - not going to join because in reality Id just be setting myself up for failure. Good luck on that cardi though!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I've been having small world moments a lot lately- I hope they both do well!
Cute cardi, Knitcircus has great stuff

7:35 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I don't get the point of Ravelymphitis.
Except maybe it's to see who can get tendonitis first? Then what do I win?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think I have to agree with Christina - I'm a terrible procrastinator!

It is a small world! How's this for a wedding story - my youngest sister who got married in 2008 (doesn't seem like it's been that long already), married a friend of her ex-boyfriend, and the ex-boyfriend was a groomsman at their wedding, ha, ha! One of my older sisters married an ex-boyfriend's best friend, and my other older sister married a man who is divorced from a good friend of hers.

My husband didn't date any of my friends though, although it turned out that the sister of a high school classmate of mine used to be married to one of my husband's brothers. I also went to school (a business college after high school) with my husband's sister in law, and I had worked with her boyfriend. Sometimes I think everyone in the Cleveland area knows each other somehow.

Looking forward to seeing your sweater - that's a pretty pattern!

12:42 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

That is going to be a great cardi!! Love it!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I do not like knitting on a deadline. I enjoy the YH but am not in love with her (as so many seem to be) so I won't be joining either. I am busy enough without extra pressure.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I don't knit so I will not be joining in on these olympics. I do like that sweater and it is my FAVORITE color! Hint hint!! Love, Mom

7:36 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm not Olympicking. I hate deadlines.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I totally spaced the Olympics starting. I think it's a subconscious protest against the fact that even though the events are occurring less than 3 hours away from me, I have to wait 3 hours after everyone else to watch anything...Pet peeve really...

12:13 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

My unwritten New Year's resolution this year is to knit what I want to knit, when I want to knit it. Deadlines are no fun. And when I think I need to finish one project before I start the one I really want to be knitting, neither gets touched. So... no pressure. I thought about the Olympics and decided not to go there. I'll just do stuff at my own pace.

That said... the cardi is so pretty! Are you going to do the ribbon closure, or are you going to do something else?

8:13 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I really like that cardi, look forward to seeing yours!

12:25 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

pretty cardigan!

i'm not doing the whatever-lympics. and i'm waving my hands in the air like i just don't care. cuz i don't.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

I'm glad you're knitting along! And I look forward to seeing your sweater as it progresses. (Is Mom dropping a hint?)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

And how is the knitting going?

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home