Tuesday, March 23, 2010

And For My 900th Post...

Or there about--I know there are some ranty-bitchy "draft" posts that haven't seen the light of day and still count in the total...

I apologize for the silence lately.

If you've been playing along reading my Facebook entries this won't be news to you.

A couple of days after we were a day late in being able to view a really nice place three blocks from Chunky's school that was cat-friendly, I discovered another place.

It was about five blocks from us in the opposite direction from the heart-break house.

Three bedrooms, monthly rent recently reduced...but I wasn't sure if it was cat-friendly.

I figured what the hell--I'd schedule an appointment for us to view it.

Saturday afternoon rolled around and we walked up there.

It was a three family house, the first floor apartment is what we viewed.

Built in 1964. Dark blue carpets and pink bathtub....rock on!

Decent sized living room that opens into a smallish dining room. The kitchen is divided by a half-wall from the dining room and has enough room to qualify it as an "eat-in" kitchen.

Gas range (and younger looking than the old POS we have here).

Dishwasher! (Dr. Mad Scientist, my born-again dishwasher was happy to see this!) I personally probably won't use it. After the one in San Antonio started smoking the first time I fired it up, I'm wary of them. I've survived nearly 32 years without one.

Aforementioned pink tubbed bathroom with a linen closet in the bathroom. What? No more naked treks the length of the apartment when I forget to grab a clean towel?

Two smallish bedrooms with decent sized closets that would be great for the boys.

A master bedroom with a closet the size comparable to what we have now.

Down below under the house are two garages.

They aren't used for cars but for storage instead--lots of storage! And washer dryer hookups!!! My god, the decadence! Doing one's laundry without leaving one's home?

If you don't count summers home from college, I haven't done that in 14 years. I haven't spent quarters on anything but minutes for the spin cycle or 8 minutes on "high" in the dryer.

My god, I could BLEACH my whites if we had this place! I haven't used bleach in 14 years!!! (Bleaching in a laundromat is a PITA).

Behind the house is a little backyard. Fenced in, and one of the tenants has a little caged in garden--think greenhouse minus the plastic. Perfect for the boys to play in with little supervision.

Where we're at now, I can't let Chunky play in the front yard--it's just too close to the busy street.

The funniest part is the location. It's right across the street from a banquet hall and bar. Ha ha! So much more upscale than the Boobie Bar!

So after we viewed it, we took the realtor's card and told her we might be in touch.

As we were leaving--Dr. Mad Scientist nudged me and whispered if we should ask about cats.

I didn't want to get my hopes up. I wanted to enjoy the fun of imagining ourselves living there--if only for a little bit.

As we walked home we discussed it. We realized there were a couple things we forgot to ask about--the parking, the fridge, and cable TV (because I just reupped my contract and I can transfer addresses, but to cancel would cost me).

So I emailed the realtor and told her we were very interested but asked about the parking situation, whether or not the fridge was included (it's a weird east coast rental thing--about 50% of the places don't come with fridges), and if it was wired for cable--and then I threw in a question about pet-friendliness.

Getting that email back was horrible--I didn't want to open it because I was sure she was going to tell us that the owner wouldn't allow cats.

Ends up he was a bit hesitant--but when I offered to pay double the $250 pet deposit he gave the realtor before we said we had two cats--$250 each furbag--he relented.

So today--despite the fact that there's no on-site parking (which will be a PITA when and if it snows in the next few years and the town commands us to remove our cars from the street with the almighty Robocall), I plunked down a deposit and signed the lease!

New Apartment!

Hee hee, apparently new landlord was happy to hear Dr. Mad Scientist was a Dr. Never mind he's a PhD and will be a high school teacher...ha ha! It's good to know that six years we spent in Lansing carries a little weight!

Tomorrow I give Zorba our 30 days notice. Our last day here will be April 23. We'll take possession of the new place on April 15th. This will give us an overlap of a week, but I think that will take some of the stress off of moving.

I've never had to move AND work a full time job at the same time!

So--if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why.

Labels:

31 Comments:

Anonymous knittingkitty said...

Congrats on the new digs! Glad you get to move into a much nicer place and the kitties get to come too.

8:17 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Whoo hoo! Oh, and I wonder how bats&*t crazy your cats would have to be to cause $500 worth of damage?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Congratulations!!! =)

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! That place looks nice! Can't wait for you to move in. With the 15th being your move in start date you should do Ok! Love, Mom

8:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hooray for your finding a new place! But $500 for a cat deposit?? Yikes! I'm going to miss your exciting blog posts about the happenings at the Boobie Bar, ha, ha!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Congrats!!! I'm super excited for you! It looks very well maintained from the outside.

I have a wedding on April 16th and Pi's play April 17th. But if you need free moving labor, I'm free on Sunday the 18th.

Moving while working is a PITA but totally doable. I've done it twice since 2007.

9:57 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yay!!!! Congrats!! And I love weezie's comment about the kitties!!

Yes, in thinking of moving soon, I can't imagine trying to deal with not one but two doggies?!?!?! Thank goodness for Dad right now, but ugh. Our beloved pets aren't cheap!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Glad you found a new home. Good luck moving.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yay! That's awesome news! Congrats on finding a great new place ... and no squirrels ;).

6:38 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

congratulations! every place is a compromise of sorts but it sounds like you got a pretty good deal! (i'll miss the boobie bar updates though)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yay!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Congratulations!!!! That's great news :-)
The wonderful task of moving while working... I've done it; this last time we had 2 weeks overlap, but that much time just made me draaaaaag the process out... hopefully the one week will work for you.
(and, SO jealous of the pink tub!) :-)

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Yay! Glad you found a new place and get to keep the cats. I know that must have been stressful.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Great news! I'm glad tohear things are going to work on the living situation. It sounds like it's been pretty crazy at your current apartment. Good luck with the move!

2:04 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Even if moving and working is a royal PITA, I'm sure it will be worth it. And the new place sounds sweet - congrats! Hey, where exactly in SA did you live?

4:24 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Yay! I feel the same way about broilers as you do about dishwashers -- I can always find some way around using the broiler, because I've never managed to use one without setting the smoke alarm off!

It looks like a driveway - why can't you park there?

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Congratulations on the new place. When home is supposed to be a haven from the outside world, it's impossible when "home" has major issues.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

So happy for you guys!! Yeah the moving will suck while working..I did it, yikes 20 yrs ago...Yay for being able to wash your clothes and stay at home too :) Any chance they'll empty a garage for you?

10:01 PM  
Blogger dmcL said...

Hooray!!! Congratulations on the HUGE move up! Fantastic!!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear this!!! You've paid more than your fair share in dues, waiting, nonsense, etc.

I'd send Zorba a card every month after you move saying how much you're enjoying your new place and what a sh*t hole his place was.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It sounds wonderful. And now the fun begins.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

How wonderful! I'm sure the new place will be a huge improvement.

10:59 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Doing vey happy dance, I am so pleased for you....this couldn't happen to a better person, you so deserve it :-)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Congratulations Bezzies!

Pink bathtub? Matches baby.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Congratulations!! But I'm going to miss the boobie bar......

Is it only me?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Praise the great spaghetti monster in the sky!

11:26 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

That's the best news I've read anywhere in quite a while. Moving sucks, but this is going to be 100% worth it. Good luck! (and if I was closer, I'd totally offer to help. Sorry!)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Woo-hoo! Congratulations and good luck with the move!!!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous jaala said...

Congrats! Huzzah for more space and laundry!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Fingers crossed that all goes well! Congrats!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home