Friday, March 12, 2010

Catch Up

Whew! It's been a whirlwind week.

Woke up the night after the poop cloud descended upon our house (the Poop Pumpers left at midnight!) to find the contents of Zorba's basement in the driveway.

100_8593

Came home yesterday to find a giant dumpster in my parking spot.

Nurse Lady moved Zorba's car so I had a spot to park, but I have to move my car tomorrow morning so the trash dumpers can get rid of the shit in the basement and the driveway.

Apparently she's having a hard time convincing him to get rid of anything. Zorba's son is supposed to be coming tomorrow to help him severe the ties with his poop-covered material trappings.

As long as I'm bitching about this house let me show you the state of our outside stairs.

100_8592

Yeaaaah. Awesome. There's about three steps like this. They've "fixed" this step twice already.

But! We went to view an apartment in the neighborhood about three blocks down Thursday night.

It was OK. $50 more a month than what we're paying now.

Pros: Washer/dryer on site; dishwasher; 2 parking spaces.

Cons: So small we'd have to sleep in the "family room" because it's the only room our bed would fit into. No, we don't have a ginormous bed. It's a queen sized bed.

I think we'll pass on it. It wasn't cat friendly either--the realtor said she could probably talk the landlord into accepting cats.

I'm not trading in squirrels and shit for an apartment half the size. Even if you do throw in a dishwasher and washer/dryer. I've gone this long without those appliances, what's another three years?

I might consider it more if we didn't have Moochie. But with two boys in the winter and on rainy days--that place would get even smaller really fast.

We're viewing another place about 10 blocks in a different direction tomorrow.

It's actually kind of nice to be able to take our time finding a place. Last time we were so sick of living in a hotel we jumped on this place.

But it's not all been poop and grumbling all week!

It's been birthdays and cheesecake!

100_8605

Yesterday was the big 3-2 for Dr. Mad Scientist.

I made a him a crockpot pot roast, from scratch dinner rolls, and a cherry cheesecake.

100_8602

Mmm! Dare I say? It was the best cheesecake I've ever made.

100_8599

As you can tell from the tiny fingers trying to sneak bites.

I got the recipe from this book that one of the attorneys I don't directly work with, but is in my Big Boss's circle of associates he mentors for Christmas.

100_8598

I've never been to this restaurant in NYC...but if the cheesecake they make is as good as the one I made, I might have to make it a point to visit them!

Don't worry, I've been knitting and have some sewing in the pipeline too. Although poop and cheesecake? Who else could blog about those two topics in one post?!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Happy Birthday to Dr. MS!

Yeah, don't go with a place that's too small. Before we moved, our last place in Bklyn was so small that we had our bedroom in the living room. It did get awfully small fast when the weather was bad.

I hope you guys find something you love soon.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy birthday to your husband!

Even though I'd rather be a homeowner, I'm still thankful that my rental house is pretty decent - 4 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath bungalow (single-family house), for less than $1,000 a month. Sometimes I think the reasonable rents are one of the few things that makes living in Cleveland (with our lousy job market and nasty weather) tolerable!

Good luck with the house hunting. Keeping my fingers crossed that something nice at a good price will turn up you guys soon.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Happy Birthday to hubby! Drooling over that cheesecake!! Great job on it. Sending you apartment hunting vibes......

10:07 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Good luck with the apartment search!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Having time is a blessing. We made the "have to get out of the hotel" move once too. Not a good move.

I love a good cheesecake and have been craving it for a while.

8:18 AM  
Blogger janna said...

What are the rules in NJ about sending your kid to a neighboring school, if you had to move out of the immediate neighborhood? Some districts/states will let you do that, although I think it's frequently contingent on how full the school is....

10:26 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Happy Bday Dr. Teach.

Dude, the cheesecake looks awesome!

Good luck with the new-place search. Having been forced to take "the first thing" that came up back when I was younger and much more devil-may-care, I totally look at a dozen places and all their pros and cons before making any big moves now. Again, way much new-place good karma to you.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday DrMS!!! I like how you put 3 and 2 candles on his cheesecake! Moochie! Wait for the presents to be opened! Love, Mom
PS: I still have my fingers toes and eyes crossed for you to find a good place to live.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

What about cheesecake that gives you the poops?
I hope you can find a livable place soon! Happy Birthday to Dr MS :-)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Good apartment vibes, good appaaaaartment vibes, good apaaaaaaaartment vibes

11:51 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Happy B'day Dr MS - that cheescake looks fab, and that is my favourite flavour. When you visit you'll have to whip one up for us. Hope the house hunting went well today, and batten down the hatches for the weather. Take care x

1:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

poop and cheesecake? Who else could blog about those two topics in one post?!

Only you, Bezzie ... and with such aplomp, too ;).

Happy B-Day to Dr. M.S.! The cheesecake looks delicious ... I'll bet it didn't last long once those fingers got into it ;).

4:09 PM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

That cheesecake makes me want to lick the screen.

Serious housing vibes to you.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Happy Birthday to Dr. MS! Birthday and cheesecake is good. Sounds like you can use a bit of fun and relaxation. What a week.

1:50 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that cheesecake looks awesome! Happy Birthday Dr. MS!

Glad to hear the shit covered basement has been dealt with. It's a start anyway. I hope you find a great place soon! Don't settle!

3:00 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

The birthday looks lovely! I hope you all had a wonderful time. Your stairs, on the other hand, are a bit frightening.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my area, lots of rentals are listed and found on Craigslist. Good luck with the search.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home