Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Drive By Posting

Oh thank goodness March is over.

I've worked late every Monday this month.

Well, and tonight. But I got out "early" at 6:30 p.m.

I've had scant time on the 'puter too to fart around too. Thus the lack of posts and blog surfing.

We've been busy getting Dr. Mad Scientist's resume ready.

There's a chance the Program might break their end of the contract now that Governor Chris "Krispe Kreme" Christie and his team of trained chimps have had their way with the budget in particular the education part of the budget. Allegedly Dr. Mad Scientist and his Program Peeps get priority in hiring for Math and Science teachers in Newark, but...no gurantees.

Why would Krispe Kreme care? His kids go to private school.

Needless to say, if Dr. Mad Scientist doesn't get a job in Newark and the Program breaks THEIR side of the contract then the plan is to find him a job teaching somewhere around here for a year, save up some money and then get the hell out of here.

You screw us New Jersey, we ain't sticking around.

It's still too early to count our dead chickens, so we'll see.

In the meantime life around here has been all about boxes.

100_8624

And more boxes.

100_8626

But things have still been crafty.

I had a hankering for a spring/summer skirt.

100_8620

Why yes, that is the same fabric I used to make my Lantern Moon round double point needle case. I love it!

I think I'm getting more girly in my old age with all the pink. I even bought purple shoes to match this skirt.

Finally, and this one is for Karen whose kiddo did his very first book report (he's two grades ahead of Chunky and Chunky is very jealous that he didn't have to do one til now! Chunky's been doing book reports since first grade).

Remember back in the day when you just wrote a report about a book?

Not anymore! You have to do a little project with the book.

This quarter the kids had to read a biography and then dress up like the person they did the biography on. Tomorrow they'll do presentations to the class dressed up like their person in their book.

Chunky chose a book about Abraham Lincoln.

100_8621
He claims that Honest Abe never smiled for pictures--so he didn't smile.
I cannot confirm whether or not our 16th President was a Nittany Lion fan though.

All I have to say is every other parent in his class can bow to my kick-ass Abraham Lincoln costume making skills!

I sewed the stovepipe hat (which admittedly is a bit too tall) out of felt without a pattern--just a calculator and the formula to find the diameter of a circle.

The bowtie was fashioned out of some leftover felt from the hat.

But the cherry on top is the beard.

It's a piece of black merino roving I had in my fiber stash.

Ha ha! What other parent would have that lying around? Ok, maybe a lot of my readers would, but none of my readers are the Soprano Moms at Chunky's school running basil rackets.

I merely tied a pair of black yarn loops around each end of the "beard" and all he has to do is loop it around his ears and he's ready for business.

Hail to the Chunky!

Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That costume is awesome! Pi is doing the same kind of report this year. She was assigned Mae Jemison, the first female african american astronaut. Somehow I've got to come up with an orange jumpsuit by the beginning of May.

Good luck with the moving! I sure hope that NJ doesn't mess with Dr. MS's teaching opportunity this fall.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Awesome costume!

I had to make a costume for my daughter's dance competition duo recently (make that two costumes, because I had to make one for her partner, too ;). I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun trying to figure it all out ;).

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Abe costume reminds me of the Santa one that I made one of the boys for their Christmas program. I didn't have any white fur so I used white batting. Worked real well and that costume was used for years!
I like your skirt. Yes as you age you get girlier and girlier! I know I'm that way! Where did you get your purple shoes your youngest sister and I were looking for some on Sunday.
Love, Mom

10:17 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I don't think it has anything to do with his kids being in private school. Most Republicans don't want to fund public schools even though the majority of their kids go there. It's really sad that education reform isn't as much of a priority (on both sides of the aisle, although we have a Republican govern(at)or here too) as it should be. We all seem to want public schools but don't want to do what it takes to do it right.

10:30 PM  
Blogger janna said...

What a great Abe! However, there is no way Abe was Penn State fan - he would have been loyal to Illinois, although U of Illinois was founded 2 years after his assassination. Illinois is the state land-grant school and the Morrill Act establishing them was enacted during Lincoln's presidency.

Actually, it appears that Penn State was one of the first land-grant schools, so maybe Abe would have been a fan.

Maybe Chunky can work that into his report....

(Why, yes, I AM a librarian!)

12:07 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Love the look, the facial expression is perfect.

Get you, going all girly!?! Love the skirt the fabric is lovely. Looking forward to seeing the whole girly ensemble - roll on the warmer weather x

4:15 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Haha, love the costume! And the insistence that Lincoln didn't smile. I've never actually read that in the history books, but I think Chunky might be on to something there.

Good luck with the move! Hope that your remaining time in Jersey will be smooth sailing from here on out.

5:55 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome! Brilliant use of the roving.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I hope the job opportunity comes through. Krispy Kreme! I haven't heard that one. In fact, we don't hear too much from him down here. I'm not sure he knows we exist and maybe that's not a bad thing? although a little state aid to offset the increase in my property taxes would be nice.

Chunky looks positively presidential.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Excellent Honest Abe costume! Surely he was a supporter of public education. Unlike a certain Gov. Fathead, who never walked miles in a blizzard to return a library book.

Howabout a modeled pic of your girly skirt and shoes?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love the skirt! I'm much more girly than I was 10 years ago.

Chunky Abe Lincoln is AWESOME. Lincoln is Dan's favorite president (didn't know one could/should have a fav president, but the kid does!). He actually drew the 3 of us on his placemat at Friendly's last week, all with Abe Lincoln stove top hats. You guys can't move...Chunky and Dan are SO alike!!

7:53 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that costume rocks. he actually kind of looks like abe.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love your skirt! Chunky is an awesome Abe! Great job on his costume :)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Abe is adorable!

I hear ya... it's March, meaning it's busy season at the accounting firm. Ugh, sleep, need sleep.

4:54 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very cool, no one else will have a merino beard! Must be soft...

Nice skirt, too! I'm trying my first skirt this weekend, a wrap. We'll see if I end up with a skirt or some new cleaning rags. :P

5:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

boo on the breaking of contracts. that sucks. maybe he'll find an even better job!

that costume is OSSUM!!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That is a great costume! Chunky is lucky to have such a crafty mom. That must be a new trend for schools to make the kids dress up like the person they did a report on, because my daughter had to do that recently too, for a Black history month report. Well, they could either dress up, or bring in props about the person they studied. She was assigned Madam CJ Walker (who created the first black hair care products), which worked out good, because with her being biracial, she just brought some of her black hair care products to school for props for her report.

I hope things work OK with Dr. MS's job situation. I remember reading something recently about the budget crisis in NJ. It's slightly comforting to know that at least Ohio isn't the only state on the verge of financial disaster.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. That skirt is really cute! Pink happens to be my favorite color. I love bold prints and ruffles and girly clothes and lots of pink, and I don't care if anyone thinks I'm too old for that!

9:53 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

That is a high-quality costume. Go, you! And best of luck on the packing. I remember how much that sucks.

11:07 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Love good ol' Abe. And more likely to be a Fightin' Irish fan, no? hehehe

Good luck with the boxes!! I totally understand that one lately!!

And how cute is that skirt!!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

The costume is great! The skirt is really cute as well.

You put faith in our government? You know better than that.

Maybe private teaching is what your husband should look into because public schooling is full of out and out lies when it comes to teaching the history of our country and what it was founded on. Nevermind the liberal bullcrap that the kids are fed throughout their time in school.

Good luck to him and your family regardless of what happens.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Great costume!! And I'm sure Abe would have appreciated PSU. He did make his famous most famous speech here after all.

8:41 AM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Love that Abe, sure to be a hit! Happy Moving!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Oh, I SO would have hated having to wear a costume to give a book report. I shudder at the thought of it.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home