Sunday, April 18, 2010

All Settled!

Whew!

We're in and we're settled!

Friday Dr. Mad Scientist and I took the day off. He burned the 2nd of his allotted three days off he gets while Student Teaching (the other one was burned a few months ago with vomity goodness).

We dropped off the boys at school and daycare and went to pick up our beloved Penske truck. As a seasoned mover, I can't recommend Penske enough for DIY moves. Uhaul sucks.

Nurse lady downstairs was nice enough to pull her car out and park on the street so we could back directly in to the driveway and load the truck up.

We loaded the truck until 11:00 a.m. when I popped down the street to meet New Landlord and the fire inspector so fire inspector could do an inspection of habitability.

The next few hours between 11:30 and 5:30 p.m. involved much more loading and unloading, sweating, swearing, and small injuries (pinched fingers...etc.) as Dr. Mad Scientist and I worked to get all the crap out of the old place and into the new place.

We got about 90% of everything out of the old place and into the new place by 5:30.

As we left new place to go pick up Chunky from school, we noticed there was a hubbub at the Boobie Bar.

100_8717

And as a parting gift for living there for three years--I GOT TO SEE THE INSIDE OF THE BOOBIE BAR! For reals! We left the truck at the new place and walked to the old place to grab my car to pick up the boys and as we walked through the gaggle of "dancers" I saw that the door was WIDE open and I got to see inside! Ha ha!

Not sure what was going on there, but it was an awesome way to end our tenure at Squirrel Gables.

Now when I look out the window I see this:

100_8740

The lounge/bar is on the right and the banquet hall is on the left. Every night it's all lit up like that and kinda pretty.

I'll have more to post later.

Right now I need to get to bed. Tomorrow I'm off work (the boys are all going to work/school/daycare) and I'm taking the day to clean up the old place.

I stopped by there last night to pick something up and it was kind of depressing to see it all empty. Even though you can still hear the squirrels scratching and smell the faint waft of that nasty lemony cleanser they used in the basement to clean up the crap, it's bittersweet.

It is after all the first place we lived in New Jersey and it is where we brought Moochie home and where he celebrated many milestones.

Of course ask me if I still feel this way this time tomorrow night after I've cleaned like I've never cleaned before!

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Glad to hear the moving is over! I don't know which is worse - the packing or the unpacking. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I still have boxes I've never unpacked after being in my current house for 4 years.

I've moved 7 times in the past 15 years (three apartments in the same complex, two condos in another complex, and then two rental houses), so I feel your pain about the hassles of moving.I'm hoping the next place I move to will be a house that I own, hopefully.

I'm going to miss your posts about the Boobie Bar, ha, ha! At least the view from the new place is much more classy!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to ask if they had those lights up year round. It is much better than the "Booie Bar"!

So did you see the pole? Or poles? I don't know do those places have one pole or a couple?

You'll be glad you moved and Moochie will have more miles stones to keep in this new place. Plus Chunky will have his mile stones also!

Love, Mom

11:44 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Congrats on the new place! I hope it's peaceful and squirrel free!

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got moved. Can't wait to see pics of the inside. Your new view is much better. I bet you won't have the "excitement" that came along with the old view.

Lots more memories to come no matter where you live.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love the new view. It looks like Christmas :).

I haven't moved in, almost, thirteen years, but for the first thirty years of my life I moved an average of once every two years. Yes. It sucked, which is why I'm pretty adamant that I don't want to do it again. It's enough to move people in and out of rooms ;).

8:57 AM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

Huzzah! x3

WORD on Penske vs. UHaul. I've had the exact same experience. Penske rules!

It's nice to have some fond memories of Squirrel Gables, but you're about to make much better ones across from Lizard Lounge. Welcome home!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

It does look like Christmas :-) Let the cleaning mellow you out (or drive you nuts), don't get too depressed, and enjoy the new place!!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Have - I hate moving and deep cleaning with an unholy passion. When you move, send me your new mailing address - I still need to send you a prize :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I find it funny that I also got excited about you seeing inside the Boobie Bar. Craziness....

12:19 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I've got 3 addresses under my belt since moving to WA state. Totally know the feeling. Totally hate the moving.

Congrats on almost being done!

I got to see some of the girls who work at the place I can see from my window...they were getting up from their smoke break. Apparently they found actually dressing to go outside too tedious, so them, um, didn't, much.

1:39 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

How appropriate that you got to see in there on the day you move lol, how to leave it in style!! Looking forward to hearing more about your new place, enjoy settling in x

3:11 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What, no PICTURE of the inside of the boobie bar? Honey, that's what cell phone cameras were made for!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Nik Budnik said...

Yay!!!! I am happy for you guys :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Congratulations! May the new prove to be an improvement over the old in every way!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Woohoo!! Congrats on getting into the new place! The banquet hall lights do look pretty.

9:09 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I know the aftermath of the move is going to suck, but it is 100% absolutely unquestionably worth it. I'm glad you're out of Squirrel Gables. The new place is gonna be awesome!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Woohoo! I know you are beat, but I'm really happy you all are outta the squirrellyturdinfested place! Hope you get settled in soon so you can relax a bit!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Yay for your new place and bye bye boobie bar!

If it makes you feel better, I'm taking over the suck-tastic living space... the apartment above mine is leaking directly above my toilet. =(

12:21 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Wow. What a huge endeavor moving all that stuff by yourselves. There's something exciting about a new place. I wish you all joy and peace and no shit or squirrels. Not too much to ask.

3:57 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Congrats on the new place!!

I get sad when I see an empty place for the last time too...even sadder when I get rid of an old car.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yay!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home