Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back!

Sorry for the silence!

It was a crazy week.

In addition to moving in last weekend, I took Monday off to clean the old apartment.

It took me 8 hours to clean that place from top to bottom.

We gave back the keys on Friday. So now the clock is ticking for Zorba or Zorba's son to get us back our (pretty hefty) deposit that we paid. I'm not sure how it works, the lease we signed in 2007 said he had to get it back to us in 30 days. But that lease expired in 2008 and we started living month-to-month. Stay tuned, I'm sure that will be a "funny" story.

I'm not sure what's going to be going on with Zorba though. They took the house off the market and I was talking to his Nurse Lady on the Friday we moved out. She put in her notice. Her last day is May 8.

Then she's off to Poland for three months. Good for her. She deserves it. She's worked for Zorba for three years 24 hours a day with only one day off a week--and even then not always.

There was a month there where I seriously considered looking into what one would have to do if they suspected someone was engaged in white slavery. She worked for like six weeks straight without a day off. Yikes.

Anyway--on to happier things!

Our new apartment! Would you like a little tour now that I have (most of) the boxes unpacked and I vacuumed?

100_8747
Our new living room--what you see when you walk in. I'm waiting for some stupid flake of a human from Freecycle to pick up those boxes next to the couch.

100_8742
My new ginormous kitchen! I guess it's an eat-in kitchen, complete with snazzy 80s style pink and green accent sponge painting near the ceiling. Bitchin'! I love this kitchen, well except for the fridge. It's old and the doors don't swing shut so I'm constantly yelling and Chunky to come back and close the fridge door after he's grabbed something out of there.

100_8746
View from the couch--the living room is SO huge! I mean look at how much room Squeaky has to lick her cat-armpit!

100_8745
Directly off the living room is the dining room. The previous tenant left that air conditioner. Apparently it's a $400 a/c that she bought last year. Sweet! (Well except for the electric bill that thing will create.)


100_8748
Off the kitchen is the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom. Moochie is at the very back and has the biggest room. Not sure how that happened. Chunky really wanted the smallest bedroom and Dr. Mad Scientist and I wanted the room with the best closet. I don't have any pictures of the inside of Mooch's room because he was napping when I took these pictures!

100_8749
Chunky's room. Although he said he would enjoy sleeping in without having his brother there to wake him up in the morning, he's always up on his own 15 minutes after Moochie anyway. Ha ha!

100_8750
The bathroom--sporting more of the pink and green (this time in the form of tulipped wallpaper) theme.

100_8753
I'm very excited about this! A linen closet in the bathroom! Before we had to keep our towels and stuff in the storage closet off of the living room. So if you forgot to grab a clean towel before you got in the shower you'd either have to yell for someone to bring you one, or you would have to do a naked wet sprint through the whole house!
You'll also note this is the new home of The Beast. While this apartment is larger, we don't have as much storage space. The garage storage we have about a 1% claim to. The other two tenants have the rest. I guess that comes with being the "new kids."

100_8756
The infamous pink tub! Actually its more like the color of an old bandaid. But hey! The hot water is AMAZING here! You can flush without being scalded! And I'm not ankle deep in water 2 minutes in my shower!

Finally, the master bedroom:
100_8758

It's bigger than our old bedroom. Again, you'll see here that lacking storage space is something we're missing. As such I've dubbed my side of the bedroom Crafty Corners. I've got my craft supplies set up under my knitting bags, next to my knitting books with my fabric stash in between!

The master bedroom lacks curtains. I've got an order for some fabric though to remedy this problem and we should be walking around naked with no fear of being seen in no time! No, we're not nudists, but in northern New Jersey where the houses are built one car-width apart, it's hard to get dressed in the morning with no curtains!!

So there you have it! This place is pretty awesome. The people above us and the guy below are very friendly and the landlord rocks.

I went to put Moochie to bed the first night we were here and realized his room had no door!!! The landlord came by the next morning to check and see how we were doing and I mentioned this to him and by that evening we had a door! Wow! Zorba would have NEVER done that for us!

The only downside to this house has got to be the parking. Now that we're across the street from a nice lounge and banquet hall, and we're heading into wedding season, parking is a bitch.

Never mind that the Hall has 2 parking lots. Last night there was a quinceanera happening and no one bothered to park in the second lot, they all parked on the street. So when I got back from doing laundry I had to park 3 blocks away and haul the laundry home. Ugh. Not cool.

Oh and we probably won't be getting our own washer/dryer. The previous tenant left her machines and kind of "bequeathed" them to the guy downstairs. He's offered to share them with us, but um, well I dunno. I feel kind of weird doing that at this point in our neighbor relationship. Plus to be honest, I don't know how to work a 40+ hour a week job and do laundry for a family of four in just one washer and dryer...I've never done that!! My mom was a SAHM and Mondays were dedicated to laundry. By the time she was back at work we were teenagers and doing our own spattering loads when we could and slowly moving out.

I'll just revise my goal of having my own washer dryer by the time I'm 35 years old to when I'm 40 years old! Someday!

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for the new place! Looks so bright in there too! Yeah..you'd have to do a load of laundry every day (like we do) or you'd be stuck at home all day on the weekend. Still a bummer about the parking though :(

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Place looks nice! Wow! good thing Squeeky can have lots of room to clean her catpit!
That is the draw back of having your own machines....it would take forever or you are doing laundry everyday! I now only do it about twice a month!! What? It is only your father and my self and your father is retired and don't have any work clothes. Love, Mom

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Yorkie said...

The flat looks WONDERFUL, Bezzie...I'm so happy for you. It looks like a HOME, not just a place you have to stay. I bet you feel like you can breathe again.

And what service! A door straight away! Should've asked for a pile of gold!

As for storage...meh. For the past 10 years we've lived in houses that had very little storage, esp. in England. They just don't do closets which is why there were so many wardrobes. You can get those stand-up wood framed ones covered in cloth (with a roll-down screen) for your bed room. They do it all the time on British home makeover shows. You're so crafty you'll have it sorted in no time.

VERY happy for you!!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay for new place! Gotta love a bigger kitchen. It is always something I would rather be bigger. Screw a big bedroom...I'd rather have a big kitchen.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Woollycraft Workshops said...

It looks really nice....and BIG....congratulations.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

This place is much nicer than your other one. Good for you all.

4:32 AM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Wow look at all that space! Congrats! You know, being the crafty type, you could probably do something with fabric and liquid starch to cover up some of the pink and green...kind of a PITA but a thought....

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new place looks great! Yeah for you guys! Love, Aunt Susan

8:16 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks for the tour. Looks like a great place ;).

I don't know about all of the pink and green, though. I wonder if the owner or a previous tenant was an Alpha Kappa Alpha ;).

9:04 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

nice digs! it looks spacious and i envy your dishwasher.

your post reminds me that i never did offer a virtual tour of my house. probably never will now. too lazy.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey on the new place.

Yep, I space my laundry out over a few days starting on Thursday after work (Friday's are casual at work, so my slacks have 3 days to "air dry" on my laundry hanging du-hicky). I space it around making dinner. It feels very multi-tasky :). But I don't have kids...

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

It sounds so much better, what a nice change. Good luck with that deposit.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That looks like a great apartment! Definitely an improvement over "Squirrel Gables"! And I'm totally jealous of your kitchen! My (rental) house was built in 1949, and I love all the old features (wood floors, fireplace, built-in shelves and cabinets), but I hate the kitchen. It's an eat-in kitchen (no dining room), but there's practically no counter space. I have one tiny spot on each side of the sink, one side of which is taken up by the dishrack. It's so hard to cook with no counter space, and I would kill for a dishwasher!

I have my own washer and dryer, and Sunday is my laundry day. That eats up pretty much my entire day. I figure though that it's better than when I lived in a high-rise apartment complex, and had to drag my clothes up and down on the elevator to the basement laundry room, and deal with the always-broken change machine, the folks who would steal any unattended clothes out of dryers, and the perverts who treated the laundry room like a place to pick up women. I don't miss those days!

Glad things are going well for you at the new house!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. LOL about Squeaky! My husband said it's embarrasses him when our cat lies on our front stoop and licks her crotch and butt, ha, ha!

1:25 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Hmmm.... You could move Moochie in with Chunky, and use that bedroom for crafts and storage!

My mom didn't have a washer and dryer for several years, and she really got used to the laundromat marathons. When she got her own again, it took her a while to adjust to doing a few loads every night.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Woohoo for the new place! It looks so spacious! A couple of cheapie stackable bins can probably help with the storage issue. Or check garage sales. My MIL found a huge wooden chest for me for cheap and it houses all my yarn and winter blankets.

I'm so jealous of your kitchen. Mine is small and hardly has any counter space. Its nice, but just too small.

The pink and green combo is awesome. Reminds me of my and Pi's first apartment on our own (between hubby's). The walls were painted green and the counters themselves were pink! It was so bad, haha!

I hope you guys enjoy the new digs.

7:06 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Wow, your new place looks huge! And sooooo much better than the Boobie Bar Observation Deck!

7:29 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Congratulations on a successful move! I really dig your new place. Especially the kitchen.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Congratulations on your new happy home! Also, you're amazing -- if it were me, there would still be boxes everywhere.

10:09 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

What a nice and bright space! Your kitty looks tiny in the photographs!

4:44 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

The new place looks FANTASTIC! I'm sure you'll get the kinks out quickly. What a relief to be moved into the upgrade!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home