Monday, April 05, 2010

Bleeding Green and Gold

I started this quilt in order to memorialize some of the Colorado State University T-shirts Chunky wore back when he earned the nickname "Chunky."

That was back in May 2009.

After I finished knitting my One Season Cardi, I did NOT cast on anything new to knit after the boys go to bed so I could concentrate 100% on this quilted wall hanging.

100_8669

On Saturday night I finished it!

Sadly, just in time to pack it up into a box for the big move.

No way will this beauty be hanging on the walls of this dump.

100_8670

Literally.

Check out that damned dumpster that's been hogging my parking spot for a month. A new person moved into the apartment next door and used it to dispose of their moving boxes.

Really people?

A bunch of savages in this town.

I don't really know how to write up a quilt FO so here goes.

I based it off the style of t-shirt quilts my mom makes. Except instead of machine satin stitching the t-shirt logos to the fabric, I hand blanket stitched them.

For the quilting, I hand quilted the WHOLE DAMN THING. I don't know HOW anyone hand quilts a bed-sized quilt. Yikes. No way.

In the logo squares I merely quilted around the logo.

In the blank squares I quilted footballs.

100_8671

And finally, my favorite feature of the whole thing: the border. I quilted the Colorado State fight song. I can't get over how perfect it fit. I thought for sure I'd have to erase and start over when I was marking it.

100_8672

LOVE IT!!!

The binding I was feeling lazy and just rolled over the edges instead of making

Don't worry though, I won't be abandoning knitting for quilting. It's nice to say I've dabbled, but I don't think it will ever go beyond dabbling.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

I love the fight song around the edge! That is so cool - and so much work!

My grandma used to piece on the machine, then hand quilt. She had a big frame she would set up in the living room, and she made lots of queen-size quilts. To me, that's real quilting. The only quilting I've done is by hand, but I've only done tiny things.

9:50 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow that is amazing! and crazy! i hate handsewing with a passion, so i admire your persistence.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Way to go! Love it! Especially the fight song and outlined footballs. I first saw the writing and thought, wow, she freehand embroidered that on the machine ;) Yeah...a big quilt by hand would suck! You'll be outta there soon! :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow! I'm amazed you hand quilted it. I don't have the patience to hand quilt anything. Love the football!

The fight song on the border is beyond cool.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love the football shaped quilting. Very cool!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I second all the wows! That is really a work of art! I've never used a sewing machine, and I can't hand-sew a straight line, so I'm totally impressed by your football-shaped stitching. I love the embroided wording too - very cool. I don't know how you find the time and energy for all your cooking and crafting - I'm very impressed!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

That is really nice. My mom hand quilts all her quilts she makes. She loves to do it like that.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Wow. It came out great. I love the fight song around the edges. That's an inspired touch.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To go with everyone else....Wow! That turned out really nice! I like your fight song along the border also. Looks like you had a nice day to take a pic of it also.

Well what can I say about hand quilting....I relaxes me and I like the way the three pieces feel when they come together.
Love, Mom

7:44 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

This is so unbelievably awesome!!! Bezzie... quilting is in your blood - I swear it is! The hand stitching looks amazing, I noticed the words on the side and immediately thought you must have had someone free-motion stitch them. Nope... all by hand. YOU ROCK!!!

1:38 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Awesome! I'm in awe that you hand quilted all that! Me + hand sewing = LOL. And not in a good way.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Fabulous quilt! Too bad the neighbor couldn't have given you the discarded moving boxes.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

You needed to have a quilting bee -- that's how people got big ones done!

7:50 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Holy cow, I AM IMPRESSED! I do NOT have the patience to hand quilt anything, let alone hand-stitch the appliqued from the t-shirts. That is a fantastic quilt. Go, you!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home