Thursday, April 29, 2010

Holla!

I don't know if I mentioned this or not--but Saturday I'll be at Maryland Sheep & Wool!

100_8765
The button was a freebie at my LYS! I was polite and took one when the owner offered!

So if you see me wandering around, stop me and say hi! And if I don't remember your "real" name, I apologize in advance!

To update on Situation Zorba, I sent him a letter today asking for a itemized list of what he charged us for.

That's all I really want so if they're not bogus charges, we can avoid doing those things here at the new and improved place.

Yes, $971 IS a lot of money. However, I can tell you it's simply NOT there. If the charges are bogus, we won't get it back. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

Nurse Lady (her last day is May 8) and had viewing privileges to his bank accounts told me way more than she probably should have.

When I spoke to her the day we moved out, he hadn't paid her her last paycheck.

There are many other things about the situation I haven't blogged about--it's not a happy situation.

Moral of the story: Don't get scammed renting from elderly mentally disabled people with poor support networks.

If I don't get my list of charges, fine. I tried and I will cut my losses and be thankful I got more than half my deposit back.

Onto happier things! Dr. Mad Scientist has an interview today at a charter school in Newark today! Keep your fingers crossed!

It's a very interesting premise where by the time the kids graduate 12th grade in addition to their HS diploma they already have an Associates Degree from college. If they decide to go to college after HS they only have to pay for the last two years of school. I would have KILLED for a program like that!

AND this "chain" of charter schools has a school up in Fairbanks, Alaska and they're trying to set one up in Southeast AK. That would be very cool if he got the job and we wanted to go back home when his Newark commitment was up. Of course I don't think I could go back to living in Southeast AK. Might as well just live in Seattle or Vancouver--it's cheaper!!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Heck Yes! We WIL keep our fingers, toes, eyes crossed for Dr MS! Good Luck! Wouldn't we all have killed for a charter school like that! Love, Mom

8:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, lucky you getting to go that festival! We never have cool stuff like that here in the Cleveland area - sigh...

That's sad that Zorba's kids haven't taken more interest in him, and that they would let his nurse go without her last paycheck. Makes me wonder if they are mismanaging Zorba's money.

Good luck for Dr. MS with the interview! Here in Ohio there's a Post-Secondary Options program (or something like that) where high school juniors and seniors can take classes at a community college in addition to their high school classes, and graduate with their high school diploma and associate's degree at the same time. I wish I had been able to do that. It would have saved me a ton of time and money (the 10 years off and on I spent getting my BA degree). Neither of my parents went to college (my dad dropped out of high school in the 10th grade), so I didn't have anyone to push me to do something like that, or give me advice about college.

Have fun at the festival!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Good luck to Dr. MS!

10:21 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I didn't get a chance to comment on the last post, but if I had, I would've said, um, hayul yeah woman, ask for an itemized list! A hundred bucks or so, sure maybe let it go, but close to a grand? That's worth asking about. And who knows? You may be able to get at least another drop or two of blood from that stone.

Good luck to Dr. MS!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Fingers crossed for Dr. Mad Scientist's interview.
Legally, a tenant's security deposit is required to be kept in a separate account, not co-mingled in the slum lord's personal account.

11:39 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, do NOT entertain the idea of living in Fairbanks. It's only good for one thing: studying. There's nothing better to do in Fairbanks than hunker down and crack open the textbooks.

True story.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Marie Grace said...

Have fun at MD! I'm not going this year :-(

And good luck to Dr. MS!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I so wish I could have gone with you guys this year. Alas...money just wasn't there.

In my HS, we had the Advanced Placement program. Each of those classes was worth 3 college credits, but there weren't enough to finish with an Associates degree. Probably a year at most. Of course, I wanted an easy seniot year and didn't take any of them. D'oh! I could smack myself now.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Dr. MS too!

6:39 PM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Crossed and double crossed! Triple even!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Much luck to Dr MS.

I don't know what to say about the deposit...I write mine off every time I move and so am insanely happy when I get most of it back (they always keep a $2/300 cleaning fee...which messes with my brain as I always leave the place spotless!!!).

Yey for the festival! Don't get too high on the yarn fumes.

11:02 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

Good luck, DMS!!

You know, in England and for a very long time, the landlords were not required to return the security deposit until a law passed right before we left required them to. If it was returned, it was out of the goodness of their hearts. Our first landlords, a couple that were THOROUGHLY up their own asses about everything, tried to get away with that, but because we were Americans who rented through a higher authority, they couldn't.

So they just took a random amount out saying it was for a "crack" in the fireplace marble and sent it along with a nasty note. Took em about three months with several phone calls and finally a threat of legal action till they coughed up. Then I black listed them with our renting agent and informed the council when the house had been empty for over a year, and they owed back taxes (they don't pay taxes if it's rented to an American). So in my mind, zing delivered. And changed my viewpoint on renting because it didn't seem to matter to them that I scrubbed down every inch of the house and had the carpets cleaned, etc., that some people will just not be happy even if you left the house in better shape than when you moved in.

Oh, and on the day we moved out, we discovered, in the loft, a wasp's nest the size of a beach ball hanging from the ceiling.

HAH!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I would have loved a program like that. I hope Dr MS gets the job. Going home would be nice, too.

The whole deposit thing is a mystery to me. Since we're diy people, I can never understand how people can charge what they do for simple repairs. I hope you at least get a reckoning (and aren't security deposits supposed to go into an escrow acct?)

I'm not going to make it to MDSW this year. I was hoping to but finances just won't permit it. I hope you're having fun.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I hope the job pays well and has good benefits.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home