Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big Hairy Deal

This weekend I bought my yearly supply of razor blades.

Four disposable razors.

Yeah, I don't shave much.

Maybe that's why I don't understand this.

100_8848

Lavender scented handles?

Um...why on earth would I be huffing my razor handles?

Do Gillette razor blade handles smell like ass?

Is it because I'm a girl that me and my worldly possession, including the implements I use to detach hair from my body need to smell pretty?

Weird.

And then I noticed something when I was on my nightly walk with the boys around the neighborhood.

100_8824

No, not that cute little monkey making googley eyes at his chauffeur...

This:

100_8823

The sign in the storefront with the yellow awning reads:

"Coming Soon In June 2010 Ultra Hair and Shave Lounge"

What the hell is a shave lounge?

Is it like an opium den, but with more wax and screaming?

I just imagine a lot of people in a smokey, poorly lit place getting their unmentionables and their backs shaved.

Perhaps it's just a place to get your hair cut and if you're a dude your face shaved.

But that seems as boring as non-scented razor handles.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Catering for all Ocations"?!?!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

when I shave my legs (usually I pay a lady for a wax job) I buy the men's razor. cheaper and usually do a better job

9:25 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yeah, can't help you with the razors...I use the guy blades on the free razor body my mom got me a million years ago.

But also was much more saddened about the "ocations" sign than perplexed about the shave lounge. If it were Hawai'i I'd say they sell shave ice...but um, it's probably a waxy place owned by the same possibly ESL peeps next door, where shave = wax. :)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not have bought anything that smells of lavender! I HATE the smell of it!! I think it is from working at that one place and having to deal with the dried stuff and the stink of it!

As for the shaving "lounge".....Maybe they sell you drinks so that if they cut you you don't care!

I would beware of that caterer also! If they can't spell they may not know how to read a recipe!

Love, Mom

12:22 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ha, ha, I love those razors with the scented handles! I guess I'm just weird! I always sniff the laundry detergent and fabric softener at the store before I buy any too. I think it embarrasses my husband!

And what the heck is a shave lounge?!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Cute little monkey!

Wondering if "hair and shave lounge" is meant to be more gender-neutral than barber shop or beauty salon to the ESL-challenged. Please do a follow up when the space is occupied.

Ew, my security word is "spitagob."

8:54 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

this is probably TMI, but i only shave maybe 3-4 times a year. i used to do it religiously but then i realized that i'm not very hairy and it's kind of pointless.

i keep waiting for gilette to come out with the septuplet razor. b/c everyone knows that more blades = more awesome shave.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Shave Lounge? Weird Weird Weird.

I use men's blades too ... they work better.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's funny - I bought those same razors for business trips (I have a nice permanent razor at home that I am afraid to travel with) - and I hadn't noticed they were scented!

11:37 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

OK, I have to say that those are my favorite razors. I don't care that the handles smell (and really, they only smell when you first open the package), I just like that they're comfortable in my hand and do their job very well.

And you have Sweeney Todd moving in across the street? Just hope that a meat pie shop doesn't open up nearby!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I hate shaving and will only do it once a week in winter. Summer kind of forces me to do it more, but it still sucks. I usually use mens razors too. They are cheaper (better coupons for them too) and shave closer. The lavendar makes no sense to me.

Shave lounge? Maybe they get you good and drunk before shaving you??

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I wouldn't have bought those if I'd noticed them being scented. I really don't care for or approve of scented stuff.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home