Monday, May 03, 2010

Lootastic!

Again, another Maryland post. Click away if you've come here and oh, no, it's another MDS&W post you don't want to read!

First up, the bus goodies.

The bus seat cost us $99. That included breakfast, a snack home, and lots of goodies including a little tote/backpack.

100_8790

Inside the bag was a pattern, a cute little needle felted sheep notion holder, a pattern holder and alcohol hand wipes (last two not shown). They also gave away door prizes to EVERYONE. I got a small skein of J-Knits yarn and a pattern and a spinning wheel lapel pin. And you'll see the custom sugar cookies they gave us too...shaped like sheep!

100_8792

Chris gave me her cookie and I brought them home to the boys.

100_8789

As for the actual loot I bought--it wasn't much. I went with $60 in my pocket and only spent $40 on stuff and bottled water.

100_8791

On the left is some milkfiber top from Clover Leaf Farms. I've only ever seen milk fiber online and figured what the heck--I'd buy some.

On the right is Koigu roving. That's right. Koigu roving.

I haven't bought something so fast and without hesitation in a LONG time!

It was $25 for a about 3.5 ozs. Yes, expensive, but if you figure a skein of regular Koigu sock costs $12-$15 for 50 grams (one sock) the braid of 100 grams is priced about the same.

A modest haul indeed.

One thing that cracked me up (and was annoying when they'd come into crowded booths) were the women dragging rolling suitcases or old lady laundry carts on wheels behind them stuffed full of yarn.

Did they perhaps live in outer Mongolia where perhaps there are no LYS's and they had to stock up for the year?

Now that I think about it, even outer Mongolia probably has some yaks you could get fiber from...

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

What a great deal on the bus and all the goodies! Nice haul too. Koigu roving! Lovely.

5:48 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Bet the cookies have gone though ;-)

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! they gave you door prizes on the bus!

I bet Chunky and Moochie gobbbled up those cookies right after you took those pictures!

Milk fibers interesting....So what are you going to make with these? It will be interesting to see the way the colors come out after you spin them. Love, Mom

7:31 AM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

That is great that they gave out goo-die bags. I love the mix of colors with the black, blues & greens. Can't wait to see it spun up.

11:43 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very pretty fiber! i saw the koigu roving but it just didn't wow me.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Very nice loot!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

love the cookies, and the haul... (but sorry you had to expel any contents at any point during the trip)... I so need to go to a S&W at some point, it looks like a blast. Maybe when I save up enough to make taking my old-lady cart worthwhile :-)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Woo bus prizes! I would have totally eaten that cookie before it made its way home to Pi. That's just how I roll, haha!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I can just picture it "heeeeeere yakkie yakke yakkie....momma just wants to shave you bald....."

8:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

omg! The cookies are too cute!!

9:05 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Haha, at first I thought the felted sheep thingy was the cookie and wondered why they stuck a metal thingy in its ass. A cookie handle? Then I saw the actual cookies and it made a lot more sense.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice goody bag. But I'm super-jealous of your Koigu roving.

11:54 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Your goodie bag is fantastic. Sounds like the bus was definitely worth it, even if it was late with broken A/C. I'm pretty damn good with a backpack, but I switched to more of a "shoulder bag" this year. Worked out well.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I always think I'm going to get a good deal at events like this. I've got it all wrong, I know it's about finding treasure. I just can't help my cheap assedness. I think you made excellent choices. The goodies on the bus are icing on the cake. I hope you felt better after you puked.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

yea, I always wonder about that too. I think buying things you can't find at the lys is the whole idea. Like the koigu roving. Good score!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home