Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Now With 100% More Nudity!

Because now we have curtains in the bedroom!

100_8793

Yay! No more dashing around the windows topless hoping the neighbors don't see! I won't miss that about Northern New Jersey--the way houses are stacked within feet of each other.

I pushed myself to make these Sunday night. I made two and they cost me about $8 total. Fabric.com had this particular cotton lawn on sale. I'd never seen cotton lawn before, nor had I any idea what it was like, but based on the description of it (and the price!) I went for it.

The result is a lovely soft, thin, but not too thin curtain that wafts in the breeze quite nicely.

100_8794
You can see the transparency a bit better here.

I love Fabric.com too--I've had nothing but amazing customer service from them. One time I bought from them with an AMEX gift card someone had given me and I didn't realize you had to "activate" it online to get it to work and I made a purchase before activating. Fabric.com wasted no time getting ahold of me.

Another time they accidentally sent me a fat quarter I didn't order. When I contacted them, within two days they had my correct fat quarter to me--and they let me keep the one I didn't order that they sent by mistake.

This order I had ordered 3 yards of the cotton lawn--1.5 yards for each bedroom window. They emailed me immediately to apologize and inform me they didn't have 3 yards uncut. They only had two 1.5 yard pieces.

SWEET! Less cutting for me! I told them that was fine and they gave me a coupon for a few bucks of my next order as a "sorry for the inconvenience" gesture.

Anyway, it's nice to find people attune to their customers these days.

Which brings me to the latest Zorba update.

So on Wednesday I mailed out a letter thanking Zorba for his promptness in getting us a check. But then I laid out the math for him and asked him for an explanation as to why it didn't add up.

Thursday night while I was out walking the boys after dinner (Mooch LOVES to go for evening walks), Nurse Lady called and talked to Dr. Mad Scientist.

He tells me that she told him that she told Zorba he couldn't just send a check--that he had to include a statement as well, but that he ignored her.

She also said that Zorba was adamant that we had only paid $1400 as a deposit (huh? Did he not keep a copy of the lease? I have a copy of the lease!).

She told him he was wrong and then she went and dug up one of the early bank statements showing how much was initially deposited.

She said she couldn't guarantee it, but that she thought he'd be sending more money soon.

Yeah Zorba, that's right.

Which has me scratching my head--what did he do with nearly $1000 of our money? Where did he put it?

I know he opened a bank account (interest bearing) in our name because there every year around tax time we'd get a 1099 telling us how much money we earned in interest.

Of course I haven't seen one for a while now that I think about it since they only came once a year...

All I want is an accounting of what happened to our money. Getting back the nearly $1000 would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nurse Lady then told Dr. MS that after she gets back from Poland, which will be after Zorba's allegedly put in a home (that's happening allegedly at the end of this week--I bet we never hear from him or his stupid kin again after that), she's thinking about renting our apartment to live in herself (why not? She already knows exactly what's wrong with everything there...) and she asked Dr. MS if she could have our fridge.

He told her hell yeah.

Even we don't get our money back, at least my fridge (that I truly miss--who thought you could get attached to a fridge?) will be going to an honest person.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are rally nice an cheery curtains.
Good luck on getting your money from Zorba. Love, Mom

7:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cute curtains - Can't beat $8 for a pair of curtains!

I need to get a sewing machine (I took a sewing class at Joann's, so here I am thinking I can sew) so I can make some curtains for my spare 4th bedroom/office/storage room. It has a window that faces out to the street, and there's blinds on it, but they're cheap, and see-through. My husband just put a blanket over the window, and it looks awful, but and decent curtains from a store or catalog are so expensive!

I like looking at fabric online, and drooling over the 1950's looking fabrics - I have a thing for 50's themed stuff. I think this fabric is too funny!:

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=44934281130304493&Store_id=499&page_id=23&Item_ID=34332&Parent_Ids=.

Nurse Lady sounds like a good person. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get the rest of your deposit back.

8:30 AM

8:34 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

great curtains! i love fabric.com too.

9:50 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Excellent curtains! I'll have to go check out fabric.com.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice curtains! Keep after your former slum, oops, landlord -- good luck!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Shouldn't that be 100% less nudity?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Good luck with the deposit. I'm wondering if he "forgot" he opened an account for your deposit at all. It wouldn't surprise me if it's there, in your name and all...and no one remembers where or who or what...you could dig out your old 1099 and see if the account is still there? Just a thought.

Yey for bright curtains! I live on the 17th floor and some "modesty" curtains would be awesome (folks waiting for their court time can look RIGHT into our livingroom window...I know, we've waved at one another as I'm watering my plants, fun times).

1:13 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Love the curtains - and you have me sold on fabric.com! Now I'm wondering if I couldn't sneak a quilt (just a little one) into pre-summer semester activities. And that curtain fabric would make a fab skirt, too.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

I love the pattern on the fabric. 8 bucks for a few curtains is a great deal too.

Seriously, a company with good customer service always has me coming back, even if they are a little more expensive. I'd rather pay a little more and know I'm supporting a company that appreciates its customers.

Before I got curatins, I got dressed in the dark of the morning. Made for lots of mismatched socks!

Good luck with Zorba!

6:45 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The curtains are great - I almost wish I could sew. Actually, I wish that the sewing machine didn't scare me..

And I feel sorry for Nurse Lady. She sounds so nice, and deserves to work for a better person.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Great curtains and how nice that fabric.com has great customer service. That is quite rare these days.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

All about the freaky... I love fridges, and my dad used to think I was weird because we'd visit Sears and I'd go to the appliance section and dream about choosing a fridge of my very own...
I spent 20 minutes playing on Fabric.com, since I just got a sewing machine of my very own last week... Not good for my now tight budget, I tell you. Not good at all. ;-)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I was wondering what would become of the fridge. Will you give her the stove knob, too?

7:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice curtains, even nicer is how they "cut" them to your specifications ;) I've bought a lot of fabric from them, they are great!

Hoping you get some moohlah back!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

great curtains! I've made all the curtains around here too. One of the few sewing projects I can do....

9:10 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Fabric.com is good. I've had good luck with equilter.com as well. Awesome curtains, and good luck with Zorba. Fingers are crossed!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice work on those curtains. And on going after Zorba!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home