Sunday, May 30, 2010

Perfect Food For A Hot Day

I think I've mentioned that when, things aren't so insanely busy (like they have been recently for at least me) at work, my sisters and I email each other throughout the day at work.

Me in New Jersey, Sister T. in The Nati, and Youngest Younger Sister back home in Alaska.

My email thread with Youngest Younger sister took a turn towards food (it will often do that) and she was describing what she had brought for lunch.

She brought a pasty. She explained how to pronounce that word and what a pasty was.

I wrote her back informing her that, dude, I lived in Michigan for six years, state law requires that you know what a pasty is!

But then I put two and two together and it all came together this weekend.

100_8875

I had two tubes of those Pillsbury Grands in the fridge that I didn't know what to do with. Normally I don't buy them because well, they're expensive and if I want biscuits I can make my own.

But I got both tubes (16 biscuits) for $1.00 and at the time I had a craving for Monkey Bread.

That was until Youngest Younger Sister and I started talking about pasties.

I diced up some baby carrots and boiled them til they were cooked, nuked eight baby potatoes til they were cooked, pan fried some stew meat I had diced into super mini chunks (for Moochie mouths), and added a cup of brown gravy to the meat.

I then rolled out each biscuit til it was thin and flat.

Yeah, you're not supposed to do that to biscuits because it will make them tougher and less rise-y.

But that's OK. That's what I wanted.

I then put the meat, carrot and potato mixture on one flattened biscuit, popped another one on top, sealed the edges, slit the top and brushed them with melted butter.

I baked them at 350 degrees for 17 minutes.

100_8877

Oh wow. Amazing. I thought for sure they'd explode and leak in the oven.

Not so.

They were perfect portable pasties.

My only complaint is that they're not really good hot-weather (which is what we're having) food. Too much baking and heavy food involved.

But that's OK. Moochie liked 'em anyway.

100_8878

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

When I used to shop at BJ's (big bulk store), I bought boxes of these in chicken. One of my Aussie coworkers said they eat them at football games. We loved them. Then the family got smaller and I don't need to buy huge packages of anything anymore (and they changed their recipe for the meat pies). I was thinking of making them with some leftover meat and potatoes but using pie crust. I like the sound of biscuit dough better.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sounds yummy! I may have to buy some biscuits and try it out ;).

7:51 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

That sounds really good. I think I would like a chicken and potato version. Thanks for the idea. I'm always looking for good things to take to lunch.

8:28 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Nice! We were just yesterday discussing pasty geography and wondering whether or not it would be appropriate to open a shop in northern Minnesota, where we may have uncovered an obvious gap in the market supply!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous plumfan said...

Thanks for the pasty idea. My husband's grandfather was from th UP of Michigan so Dh remembers having pasties. This version sounds so easy, we're going to have it for dinner tonight.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Those look yummy!!!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yum! Those look pretty tasty!

My oven (which came with the house) has been broken for about 3 weeks since my landlord (who turned cheap after he racked up about 26 rental properties) decided he's not responsible for fixing it, since it's "not in the lease", and my husband and I don't have the money right now to fix or replace it. So we've been making do with the stove, microwave, and our little George Foreman grill.

Never mind that it "wasn't in the lease" for my husband to put in a new furance and vents, etc., for our landlord, entirely for free, AND to get our landlord a massive discount on said furnace through a friend of his who works at a building supply store.

Anyway, I love those Pillsbury biscuits (and buy them regularly), so I have a bunch of those, and the Pillsbury crescent rolls, and the Pillbury french bread and bread sticks that have been sitting in my refrigerator for about a month, because I can't bake them with a broken oven. At this rate, they'll be spoiled before I have a chance to use them. Sigh...

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look good! Of course Moochie would LOVE them....they are food aren't they?

Do they make those biscuits with oat flour? I'll have to try making some with my oat flour.

Love, Mom

10:50 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yum! hey, I think I have a tube around here, good for leftovers from dinner tonite since there is only the 2 of us right now. Just finished some muffins for breakfast and whew, hot already in here.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Moochie is a connosieur. You could enter that in the Pilsbury cooking contest.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous SiressYorkie said...

I never did develop a taste for pasties in the UK, even though they were on every menu and sold at football matches. I think the Cornish pasties are pretty nasty, not as nice as to one you made.

What's the difference between your concoction and a pot pie? Is it the crust??

6:30 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

How odd...I'm making "veggie chili buns" tonight, which look a whole lot lot like your pasties...or hot pockets...:). I think my recipe came from somewhere in mid west...adapted and transformed by various hippies and bread makers over 30+ years. And it's all of 50 degrees here, so I guess it's a much better time for me to make mine.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Pasties are HUGE here but I'm not really a fan - mind you I get the veggie one. I think the veggie one I get has cabbage in it and A LOT of onions... Glen says the meaty ones have what you put in yours plus peas (sometimes).
Meat pies are more popular at the football - I've never seen anyone eat a pastie at a match (mind you, with 30,000 people at a game there's bound to be a few pastie eaters!!).

5:17 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

What, no gravy?

4:06 PM  
Blogger Design Diva Susan said...

I decided to try this. I'm going to fill them with apples, butter, sugar and cinnamon. So maybe the will look like little apple pies. lol I'll take a pic when done. My garden is growing. I'm amazed! Hope yours is doing great. And I love the purple blouse. Your so talented!!
Hugs
Susan

7:00 PM  
Anonymous YYS said...

Dude, your pasty looks so much more pretty than mine. So much more pretty. And it probably tasted better, too. The recipe I found was pretty bland. Oh well!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home