Monday, May 31, 2010

So Vanilla

I'm not sure how I got it into my head that I wanted to make homemade vanilla extract.

But it got into my head.

I found some vanilla beans at a fantastic price ($4.00 for four) and some cute little containers at AC Moore ($3 each).

100_8880

I then slitted each bean lengthwise keeping them connected at the top.

I put two beans in each container and covered them with vodka.

100_8882

Now they're in a dark corner of a cupboard getting nice and vanilla-y.

I checked on them today and the vodka is getting nice and brown.

I'll be keeping one and giving one away as a gift.

Total cost for each is about $10. Not bad considering how much a small bottle of real vanilla extract will run you at the grocery store!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Sade said...

I make my own too. Don't forget to shake it a bit from time to time.

What I usually do is remove some into a smaller bottle (for use) and then top of the bigger bottle with more vodka. I also add already used vanilla pods (like from custard, or rice pudding), very well washed and dried, to the big bottle.

You can of course make your own vanilla sugar the same way. Clean jar, couple of vanilla pods (new or used and cleaned as above), cover with sugar and close very well. In a couple of weeks you have your own vanilla sugar.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

We buy 16 oz of Tone's Pure Vanilla at Sam's for $6.88, which is pretty darn good compared to the grocery stores.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That is so cool. I have a friend who used to put blueberries into a bottle and fill it with vodka. Insanely delicious.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

The containers you're using look a lot like the the water & wine dealies from mass. I had no idea you could get that at AC Moores!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Where did you find vanilla beans for $4?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow, I had no idea how to make vanilla extract. MMm vanilla beams. $4 is such a good price for them.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get this info? I knew that vanilla extract had a lot of alcohol in it but I would never have thought vodka!

I agree with Tactless Wonder those do look like the thingys they use in the Mass!

Love, Mom

3:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Good for you!

I've been making my own vanilla extract for a while now, and I wouldn't go back to the store-bought stuff!

5:14 PM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Wow who knew? Cant wait to hear your opinion on how it compares to store bought.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Great idea!

4:05 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That is cool as hell! I had no clue you could make your own.

6:18 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Nice! Put me in the "I had no idea" camp. Looking forward to reviews!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home