Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Dreaming

I figured since the temperatures are reaching up in to the mother effin' 90s, it's probably a good time to give you an update on my Pot Garden 2010 edition.

It's not as much as last year, because well, this year while I should have been starting my seedlings--I was busy packing to get the hell outta Squirrel Gables!

100_8872


This is our little "side" of the yard. The neighbors don't really give a shit where I put my stuff, but this is where I put it before I knew they didn't give a shit, and I'm too lazy to move it.

I've got a pot of peas, lettuce, impatiens, chives, oregano, cilantro and basil.

I got the basil from the Chunky School Herb Sale this year. That's right--I got BASIL! Last year the Soprano moms all beat me to getting basil.

This year they either must have planted more basil or somebody got whacked.


100_8871
I've also got a pot of cukes, cherry tomatoes, marigolds, my hardy "mom" mums, and oregano.

In the white crockpot are some snapdragons and some nicotiana that Chunky picked up at the school plant sale.

I love my boy.

Last year he brings home salvia from the plant sale--a plant that can be smoked and is illegal to purchase in some states, and this year he brings me home flowering nicotiana, a relative of the tobacco plant! Ha ha!


100_8828



This is the other half of the yard. You can see the little "walled in" garden.

It's now lined with pots of collard greens, lettuce, eggplant, tomato, carrots, beans and my potato (I'm on my third generation of potato from the grocery store tater I planted in 2007!).

This picture was taken before all those pots were set up.

Inside the small fenced off area my neighbor has lettuce, onions, and more tomatoes and eggplants.

He showed me pictures of his garden here last year. The tomato plants were higher than the fenced in area and I guess he was up to his eyeballs in tomatoes.

What a horrible problem to have!

100_8827

This is the back portion of the yard (it's a small yard).

Neighbor has a blueberry bush there to the right, and see that pole where the strawberry topsy turvy is? He now has three strawberry topsy turvys on that pole. Complete with pie pans to keep away the starlings.

Along the back fence he set up clear Christmas lights--they're amazing at night time.

The neighbors upstairs and the basement (gardener) neighbor are really nice people. It was a little hard to get used to how nice they are when I'm not used to talking to the shut-in living below me.

I imagine this summer will find us all outside in the back yard quite a bit!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Wow, you've got your own little farm going on there! Looking at all your plants, makes me feel totally guilty about never trying to grown vegetables on the nice sunporch I have (which I've been meaning to do for the past 3 1/2 years).

LOL about Chunky and the plants he picked out! I remember reading something about salvia either being banned in Ohio, or some lawmaker wanting to ban it. I can't figure how, since it's illegal to smoke crack, some gas stations here in the Cleveland area still get away with selling crack paraphenalia (hope I spelled that right). There's also a little chain of stores around here called "Puff N' Stuff" that supposedly just sell crude t-shirts, but everyone knows they sell "accessories" for smoking pot. ???

Good luck with the garden! That's very fortunate that you ended up with good neighbors, especially ones who like to garden, too.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Hilarious about Chunky's choice of plants! You've got a smart cookie there.

The garden looks great so far. We didn't plant as much as last year either. Don't really know why. Hubby has some plants started in the starter cups, but has yet to transfer them. Hopefully this weekend when we have an extra day off.

Yay for nice neighbors. I'll cross my fingers that they aren't "too" nice. Sometimes, that can be as much of a problem as mean neighbors. Trust me!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Looks like you not only have more room to grow Bezzie's Garden, some room for the boys to play :)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your plants look real nice!

Hahahaha!!! On Chuny's pick from the plant sale!

I see that you also have your "Guard Pig" out there gurading your pots!

Looks like you all will enjoy the back yard! Love, Mom

12:03 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great place to be!

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pot garden looks good. I'm sure you will have lots of goodies to enjoy later this summer. Maybe your neighbors will share if they have too much.

Good neighbors are hard to come by. That's why we like our neighborhood.

Enjoy the summer in the backyard!!

Love, Aunt Susan

6:43 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Wow! I love your yard - it looks wonderful. All that room to expand and grow the Questionable Plant Collection! Awesome. I can't wait until we have a yard again. And congrats on the nice neighbors!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Awesome! Looks like you and your neighbors are a good match. Maybe next year, you'll end up with a couple of raised garden beds :).

Yeah, being up to my eyeballs in tomatoes ... what a hardship! I'm hoping that's my worst garden problem this year ;).

10:37 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i should do my own pot garden someday. i was recently reminded not to grow any food in the city b/c of lead. good thing i was too lazy to get around to planting anything prior to that point.

11:36 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Holy cow, I'm IMPRESSED! I have a very black thumb, although I keep thinking I'd like to try basil, if only to feed my obsession with pesto. Someday ...

11:57 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'm waiting for the day Chunky comes home with a plant and says, "Hey mom, I got this stuff called cannabis..."

I wish I had a green thumb. I put my two lone houseplants outside last week because it seemed like they were harboring gnats, and they don't appear to be liking it on the porch. But I'm afraid to bring them back inside!

4:21 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Salvia is illegal? It was one of the few plants that could survive the sun in my front yard in San Antonio - and it's so pretty!

And I'm so glad you have nice neighbors!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Design Diva Susan said...

I did a pot garden also. Check mine out. It's small. Haven't planted in years. Wish me luck. Great idea!!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Congrats on the quest for good accomodations.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

does this mean the nice neighbour will share some tomatoes with yu?

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home