Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What $1050 Will Get You

A really nice oven knob.

Remember my oven knob debacle from three years ago?

Where Zorba told me the oven knob was my problem?

And I went on a wild goose chase and through the powers of the virtual circle of the internets was able to find the model number of that POS oven and order a knob for $50?

Well, the knob came with me when we moved out.

100_8850

That's right kids. I bought a shadowbox for it, mounted it, and now it hangs in my new kitchen.

And am I ever glad I took that effing knob with me.

I replaced it with a knob that didn't fit right that Chunky found on the playground 3 years ago--he was tuned into my hunt for a knob that he brought it home from school thinking it would fit. It didn't, but I saved it because I knew I was going to take my $50 knob with me when we left.

Squirrel Gables is up for sale again.

They took it off the market after it was up for sale for about a week. It went back on yesterday.

I took the virtual tour of the place tonight.

It's a short sale.

Meaning, I really don't think we're going to get our money or at the very least an itemized list of where our $1000 went.

I was talking to the associate attorneys I sit next to (two are labor lawyers and one is a real estate lawyer) because we got on the subject of douchey landlords and I told them my story.

Two of them started drooling and offered to help me nail Zorba's ass to the wall.

The other one, like me, had reservations about going after a guy who's senile.

I vacillate from day to day.

I haven't cashed the $1400 check he did pay us. I don't want it to be construed that I'm accepting that as payment in full.

(ETA: The check is a certified check, it won't bounce.)

But I've also got a credit card bill with a hefty balance on it stemming from a pothole Dr. Mad Scientist let his car get intimate with.

And today is also the last day of school for Dr. Mad Scientist. Meaning--it's time to find a job.

Things aren't looking so hot.

He never heard back on that interview he had a couple of weeks ago. We're assuming that means he didn't get the position (the position starts Monday). And the program he's with is being really dodgy about getting them details about what schools they can apply to and still have them "count" as fulfilling their obligation to teach in Newark. (We don't know if charter schools or private schools count or if they'd settle for him teaching in say Paterson, NJ--another not-so-hot-urban school district.)

Luckily I have until May 23 to make up my mind about going after Zorba (he's got 30 days from our last day to get us a list and/or the rest of our money) or not.

May 23 is also three days after the credit card bill is due.

Things aren't looking so good for Zorba.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Senile or not, the very least his family can do is get you a list of why they deducted as much as they did. If he truly is senile, then someone must have power of attorney over his estate to be in charge of all the real estate stuff. Someone who isn't senile must be pulling the strings.

I think its awesome and hilarious that you took that knob with you and mounted it. So awesome.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the knob shadow box. Geesh..that is a predicament for sure. But, you gotta take care of you and the family! Sending job vibes to hubby!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I love that chocolate chip paper! That is a perfect thing for your kitchen.

As for Zorba and the check I think that I would have cashed it in a bllink of an eye. My bet is that check is rubber and will bounce higher than Squirrel Gables.

Good luck to DrMS on finding a job.

Lvoe, Mom

11:03 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'm with Mom on the bouncy-ness of the check-fear.

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid here. Cuz it'd suck super bad if your knob actually cost $2450.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous SiressYorkie said...

I would go after Zorba, if you've got some lawyers willing to have a go...can you do that, No win, No Fee claim type thing?? $1,000 is a good chunk of change. We went after our landlords, I made their lives hell until I got our money back. The way I saw it, it was a security deposit against something we MIGHT do to the house...which we didn't...so we have a right to it.

I also agree with the check bouncing. Cash it, and if that's all you get, then that's all you get...better that than having nothing at all from a rubber check.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sorry to hear things aren't going too well. It always seems like things go wrong in multiples!

I agree with Christina - go after Zorba's sons. You should get back the money you're owed.

Too funny about the oven knob! That's one expensive knob - might as well get some more use out of it!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

You are owed an itemized explanation by law. if it is not received after the cutoff date and considering you have access to attorneys you can assist you, you have all the right to file against your landlord, whether he is senile or not. That part is not your problem.

I am so glad you turned the knob into a family heirloom - your boys are gonna love telling that story to their kids ;)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Sometimes just a well worded letter with the sig of someone with esq after his/her name does the trick. It will probably make the absentee sons take notice anyway. I'm sure they don't need the headache.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love your shadowbox. It's lovely. and douchey landlord is douchey

6:22 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I absolutely adore the shadowbox for the knob. That is sheer brilliance.

And I'd let your lawyer-friends go after Zorba. Would you let any other landlord get away with four figures of your money?

Best of luck regardless. You've earned it!

11:40 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hahaha, love that you not only took the oven knob, but shadow boxed it! You funny.

If your lawyer friends are offering to go after him for free, I say go for it. B/c if he's senile, it's most likely one of the sons wrote you a shorted check, thinking you'd just let it go. It's the sons you're really going after, and they're in fine mental health. A thousand bucks is a lot of money, and you deserve to get it back.

10:53 AM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

You know, if I could write off my numerous faults and lapses in judgement over the years due to senility, I'd... well, I don't know what I would do, to be honest. But it would sure ease the responsibilities of being an adult!

The shadow box with the knob is awesome. And Chunky gets major kudos for being sharp and finding you a replacement.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Well done on the oven knob. (subtle pun, eh?) Did the lawyers tell you not to cash the check? I think you should at least send a letter crammed with legalese on lawyer letterhead threatening to take further action. If that doesn't work, then maybe you should take further action. This is a business agreement that Zorba's representatives must honor.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'd hold out for the list. A thousand bucks is a lot of money. I hate buying the parts for stoves. They are so damn expensive. And they're usually plastic.

I'd have taken it too.

5:58 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

UGH! I hope you get your money back! I rented a crummy place years ago and the douchbag landlord tried to charge me for a broken ceiling light cover--and I argued that there wasn't one there when I moved in. He said I should have noted it when I moved in and I argued how would I know to note it when it wasn't there to note? (It not like the rest of the apt was pristine) He finally gave me my money back.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sue his sorry ass!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I cannot tell you how much I love the oven knob in the shadowbox. It's perfect.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Trentadue Tidbits said...

the oven knob shadow box is gutsy and full of gumption! love it!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home