Monday, June 14, 2010

Ain't No Mountain Big Enough

As promised--real knitting content!

I present to you Summit.

100_8920

This was a pure "Ooo...that looks like fun to knit. I'll knit that." project.

There's about a bajillion other Summits listed in The Place That Shall Not Be Named. I stuck mine in there because no one else models theirs in full babushka mode.

100_8919

Everyone seems to wear there's their's this pattern (!) as a wrap like it's intended. Pishaw. What fun is that?

The details--

Pattern: Summit from Spring Knitty.

Yarn: Great Adirondack Yarn Co. Montana in Nantucket Blue.

Needles: US 6 I believe.

Notes: This was a really fun knit. It was entertaining to unravel the stitches to separate the columns. I didn't have a problem flipping the thing back and forth either. Some people have reported knitting backwards on this shawl to minimize flipping.

The only mods I made were that I did 10 columns instead of whatever the pattern called for (16 I think, but I can't remember). I also didn't estimate the amount of yarn I would need for the final binding off process so I didn't have enough. I had to wing it and create my own way to bind it off. I think it turned out just fine the way I fudged through it.

100_8923

This was the perfect project for this gigantic skein (550 yards) of yarn that had been sitting in my stash forever just waiting for the right project.

Now I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the finished product since, well, I'm just not a shawl wearer.

But I think it looks great on the back of the couch, so that's where it will sit--collecting cat hair.

100_8921

Labels:

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that it looks good on the back of your couch. Even for a cool summer evening I think it would be too much, but not enough for fall and winter. I like the colors! Love, Mom
PS: You might want to correct there's to their's.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! Can't edit from work. That's what happens when you blog with a Mooch on your lap. There's no way you're going to spell there's right!

8:36 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I agree that it's better as a couch throw than as a shawl. Although that babushka look is.... interesting....

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Cool - the picture makes you look like you have blue hair!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I love those kinds of "just because" knits......

How did you get the time with a Mooch on your lap anyway?

10:35 AM  
Anonymous SiressYorkie said...

Well, hey, that DOES look like fun to knit! I wonder how it'd do in hot pink?

Oh, and I don't think it's babushka mode...it looks more Medusa-y. WAY cooler.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Woollycraft Workshops said...

Ooo I like it...I think I might have to do one too :-)

4:52 PM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Looks great. I wish I was a shawl person - they are great to knit but kind of useless for someone who is always hot.

5:56 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Hey, if you had fun knitting it and like the finished project, it's a win in my book. Nifty!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Ooooh, it turned out so nice! I love it! It does look good on the couch, but I would totally wear it as a shawl.

Gooo Babushkas!

8:15 PM  
Blogger SHELLY said...

I really like it! It *does* look like a fun knit. I'm also not a shawl-wearer, which is a bummer since I always see beautiful shawl patterns and want to knit them.
(also: "theirs")

9:29 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

You've made your first couch doily!

Sometimes I wish I were a shall person...but you know, scrunched up around your neck in winter? I bed it'd be a snuggly warm scarf, even with all the holes (that would be how I wear all of my shawls. :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe! I love the full babushka mode!!

10:14 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice couch lace you've got there! i like the colors.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was just looking at that today (at work) and wondering what anyone would do with it. It's perfect on the couch! (although you do make a fetching babushka)

7:03 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's a couch doily! Awesome! I love it in Babushka form too though. heh

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Holey cowl! Speaking of spelling, it's not "pishaw," it's "pshaw," but I like "pshawl."

1:22 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Very nice! How solemn you look in full babushka mode.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Wow. You weren't kidding when you said you were all about the holey blue knitting, were you? This is great. I've already been contemplting making it......

9:10 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice! I like it better as a couch afghan-y thing than as a shawl, too. Maybe I'll knit one for Hubster, so he'll stop using a heavy throw blanket and turning the A/C down to freakin' 70 when he naps on the weekends.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Oh I love it!!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Too cool! It definitely is one of those projects that you want to knit, just to unlock the mystery of it, not something I'd wear, but pretty cool. Great job.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home