Sunday, June 13, 2010

Take Us Out to the Ball Game

Last week, Big Boss offered me his four Yankees tickets for Saturday. He's got season tickets and for whatever reason couldn't go.

They weren't the best seats in the house--but I thought they were awesome.

100_8899

We had to climb all the way up to the Grandstand where literally his seats were one row away from the very final row in the stadium!

But the view was just fine.

100_8903

I've heard people say that at the new Yankee Stadium there are no bad seats.

100_8904

It was military appreciation day so they had the Army Golden Knights parachute into the stadium. That was pretty awesome because it reminded me of when I was Chunky's age and going to the Elmendorf AFB Air Show every summer where the Golden Knights always performed.

100_8900

After we found our seats, the boys got lunch.

100_8905

100_8906

100_8907

I'm embarrassed to tell you how expensive lunch of four hot dogs, two fries and two drinks was. But--we knew it was going to be expensive and considering this was our first and possibly our last Yankees game as a family, we figured what the hell. Dr. Mad Scientist picked up an extra sub job this past week, so it was cool. (He only has to sub twice a week to cover the cost of a certain Mooch being in daycare anything above that is golden).

My coworker P was also at the game (her season tickets are at the end of my Big Boss's row...what are the chances of all the seats in Yankee Stadium, they'd be seated so close?). Anyway she was sweet and bought the boys some softserve in little novelty sized Yankee helmets!

I'm not a big baseball fan and thought the game would be boring. But it really wasn't! We watched Jeter hit a home run as the first one up to bat for the Yankees and we watched Jorge Posada hit a grand slam. I guess he hasn't done that in 6 years.

However, by the bottom of the 6th--right before Jeter hit another home run--Mr. Mooch was getting too cranky to go on. He normally takes two naps a day of about 3 hours total. By this time it was like 3:30 and he hadn't taken ANY naps all day. So we packed it up and called it a day.

100_8911

But not without getting Chunky a Yankee's hat!

100_8912

On the subway, Mooch fell asleep in my arms. I know your seasoned NYer will say this is easy to do on the subway, but I don't think so. The thing is always lurching and screeching.

100_8915

And he slept all the way from just past 161st Street on the subway to Newark Broad St. Station on the train.

100_8916

Overall it was a great day and we really enjoyed it!

Oh and the Yankees won! They beat the Houston Astros! This was the second Houston team I saw clobbered in two weeks. On June 2 I watched the New York Red Bulls cream the Houston Dynamo on the soccer field. I met amazing people in Texas, but the one thing I've taken from the whole Texass Debacle is that I will NEVER root for a Texas team in any sport. Sorry Texas!

Next up! Knitting content!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous knitting-cat said...

What a great experience for the kids. I remember my first ball game, it was at the Polo grounds during the last year.

Every now and then you have to over pay for the memory and since the seat were free that should help bring down total cost of the trip.

Glad you had a good time. The pictures you took were great!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you guys had fun! Hehe..does Moochie usually sleep through anything ;)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Well, I have to agree with you about the Texass teams, especially a certain football team even though a Wisconsin boy is the quarterback. He has left the building. I miss our old baseball stadium here in Milwaukee. I liked outdoor baseball.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to see I'm not only person who isn't too fond of baseball, ha, ha!

I can imagine how much the food cost! Last time my husband and I took the kids to the movies, we bought 4 pops and a popcorn, and it came to $25 (seriously)! At least we had our contraband candy from the Dollar Tree (which sells movie-sized boxes of candy for $1). The food prices are part of the reason we only go to the movies maybe once a year.

Do you have any minor-league baseball teams in your area? There's a minor league team with a stadium about a 10 minute drive from my house, and my husband and sister (my sister's husband doesn't care for baseball either) have gone to a few games there. It's only $7 a ticket, and parking is about $5 (compared to $20-$25 for parking downtown during Indians games), and the food is much cheaper.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Poor Mooch. I always find it amazing how easily kids can fall asleep and stay that way.

There's something about going to the game that makes it exciting. I'll admit that I am not a baseball fan but have enjoyed the few games I've attended. It's the atmosphere. I'm not sure I'd have liked your seats, though. You were way up there!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Design Diva Susan said...

That looked like fun! Boy were they steep seats! And you gotta have a hot dog at the ball game. I bet the boys had a great time. Looks like the Hubby did too!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics of the outing! Poor Moochie was soooo tired! Look like Chunky had fun also! Does he know that he should not have worn a "Football" shirt to a baseball game? Hahaha! Love, Mom

5:06 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Looks like a great time! I haven't been to the new stadium yet but I heard it is really great.

Mooch was knocked out! Oh and the lurching and screeching is what puts me to sleep on the subway.

6:42 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'd second the recommendation for minor league baseball. Cheaper, faster and more goofy promotions. Looks like you had a fantastic day!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Looks like a highly successful outing. I haven't yet been to the new stadia for either NY baseball team.

2:34 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Baseball is pretty boring when you watch it on TV (unless it's a Dodger game, then I just like hearing Vin Scully commentate, his voice has a soothing quality), but seeing a game in person is much more fun! Must be the hot dogs.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home