Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Before It Got Hot

I accomplished something this weekend.

I made my Mooch a little somethin' somethin' for when the weather cools down and he can wear short sleeves again. (It hit 116 degrees F in Newark today. Can't wear short sleeves in that weather. Mooch has been rocking the sleeveless onesie.)

100_9005

It's a little button down shirt made from the yards and yards of Colorado State fabric I went crazy buying over a year ago.

It's not my best work.

Setting little baby sleeves is a bitch and a half. I'm starting to hate sleeves in any craft!

100_9012

But I think a lot of it has to do with my crapass machine. Someday I want a machine that doesn't need to be tuned after every project.

Something kind of cool happened at work last week though.

Attorney K came up to me wanting some copies. I don't normally work for Attorney K but since his secretary was out "sick" I am his official back up.

I noticed he was wearing a shirt with "Big Sewing Machine Company I Won't Name Due to Confidentiality Reasons" embroidered on the pocket.

Ends up he's been one of Big Sewing Machine Company's attorneys for nearly 20 years. He's toured their factories (all overseas) and told me how incredibly stringent they are with their quality control.

Now as you know, Dr. Mad Scientist and I (assuming he gets a job this fall) have agreed to buy each other big-ticket anniversary gifts for our 11th anniversary this December since we didn't do anything that special for our 10th anniversary due to his unemployment.

As a result, I've been eyeballing machines casually.

Big Name Sewing Machine Company is one of the brands I'm looking at.

When I mentioned this to Attorney K, he lit up and told me to forward the model number I was looking at and he'll let me know exactly where it's made and see if he can't pull a few strings with his Big Name Sewing Machine connections to get me a discount.

So who knows? Maybe when I finally get my dream machine that isn't a soul sucking piece of crap that destroys all fun in creating anything, I'll get a discount on it.

100_9011

Certainly isn't anything to sneeze at!

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Awesome!! That would ROCK if you could get a discount!
That shirt looks awesome on him.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! that is one cute sneeze!

Did you set the sleeves in after you did the underarm seam? The easiest way to set sleeves in is to put them in and then stitch from the bottom of the shirt on up through the sleeve, so the underarm seam is one long seam.

If you are looking at the B brand of sewing machines....then YES you should get a discount! With that brand you pay for the name! You can get a machine that does the samething for a lot less $$$, you just have to search them out!

Love, Mom

9:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yes, often sewing baby sized things like sleeves make you wanna hurl them! But you did a great job on the shirt, he looks so cute in it. Discount would be great too!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous knitting-cat said...

Not sure which big name sewing machine you are talking about, but I am going to give you a plug for my Bernia. I've had it for over 25 years. It was the first machine I have ever had that when it doesn't work it is me, not it. Tension is just a breeze.

Even if it is another brand go for it! Make sure you get all the machine you think you might need. It is too expensive to trade up later.

Great shirt...stay cool

6:16 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That shirt is cute. Even cuter on little Mooch.

And getting a discount would be awesome. Wanna buy two? I'll give you $$. :)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute shirt & little guy!

If you can get a deal on the sewing machine...go for it. I'm all about deals.

Love, Aunt Susan

8:22 AM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

Awesome shirt! Looks great from here - I would never even attempt a button down shirt since I cant even master the drawstring bag.

I hope you get that discount! I have a fancy machine but it sure doesnt help me - I hope you have better luck.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't envy you a bit with that 116 degree heat - that's insanely hot! And here I thought the 92 degree heat we've had here in the Cleveland the past few days was bad!

What a totally adorable shirt (and very cute model)! And how awesome would that be if you can get a nice brand-new sewing machine at a discount? What great luck!

11:07 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

what a cute shirt! and good luck getting a deal on a new machine. (though it would be sad to retire "The Beast")

11:50 AM  
Blogger janna said...

116! Way too hot, even for me! And the shirt looks great, especially because you're distracted from the details by Moochie's cuteness (love the sneezy picture!).

1:37 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

The shirt looks great. Set-in sleeves can be a pain; it helps to stay-stitch, then clip the fabric.

Hope you get that dream machine! And stay cool!!!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Achoo!

A deal on a rocking machine would be so cool. I love my fancy pants machine, it's so worth it.

Do you cheat and run the whole side seam at once or do you set the sleeves already sewn? Much easier to set the shoulders and run one seam down the sleeve and side. Just sayin'. If you're not already doing that that is.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Great shirt! You'd never know you had a hard time with it because it looks great. It fits your little guy perfectly too.

Aww, look at that little sneeze!

Oh and these temps are killing me.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What serendipity! I'm crossing all the crossable parts for a discount.

The shirt looks adorable on Mooch. I'm with Mom, I put the sleeves on and then sew up the side/underarm seam all at once. It's easier for most sleeves.

6:41 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I'm terribly impressed by anyone who does clothes sewing.

And I'm not completely up-to-date on sewing machines, but you certainly have me curious. that would be awesome if you could swing a discount!

11:01 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Love love that shirt!! He looks beyond cute in it! Its almsot college football time!! Yay!!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

The shirt is too cute! And I'm very impressed you got a photo of him while sneezing. Did you wave some pepper in front of his face then grab the camera? ;)

Oooo, that would be awesome if you could get a discount! Crossing my fingers for you!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I am very impressed with the sewing. You've gone from zero to sixty in no time at all. Agree with the other commenters on the sleeve thing. I was going to suggest a simpler pattern, but now that I think about it, the set in sleeve seems to fit a lot better. I bet it's more comfortable in the heat as well.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home