Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I Love It So Much It Stinks!

New Jersey (as of Sunday) has had 35 days this year that have been 90 degrees or more.

What does one do when the mercury shoots up?

Why, you knit a sweater of course!

100_9224

Simply put: I'm in love.

100_9226

The details--

Pattern: Top down raglan of my own design.

Yarn: Jonelle Superwash DK in black.

Needles: US5

Notes: What's there to say really? I calculated what it would take to make a top down raglan based on my measurements and the measurements of a favorite store bought sweater. I picked up the old Harmony Guide to Knitting Stitches and found a lace panel I liked (staggered fern) and stuck it in the middle of the front of the sweater.

Knit, knit, knit, knit.

Ta-da!

100_9232

It fits like a dream and it will be great for the icy office come fall/winter. Plus I can extend wearing my longer tank tops into the winter.

Although I might have to find a wishy-washy weather day where I can wear it with my summer skirt I sewed this summer that you see up there and the cute shoes I bought this spring to match my summer skirt:

100_9236

My only problem with this sweater?

When I was blocking it, I got it damp. Holy cow, the SMELL! It stank of mothballs when I merely got it damp enough to block out the center panel and the collar, bottom edge and sleeves.
Yick.

I hung it next to an open window all day and the smell has disappeared now that it's dry. Let's hope the stink is not a lasting phenomenon.

I think I'll go pensively ponder the stink of my sweater with my evil red eyes....

100_9235

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Oh wow, I can't believe you designed that sweater - it's gorgeous! Great job!

I admire your being able to knit with black yarn - I can't knit or crochet with it - too hard to see the stitches. Then again, I'm pretty blind even with my glasses on, ha, ha!

I love the skirt and the shoes too - you're really stylin' in that outfit!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the sweater! Great design too! The shoes...I want!! The yarn stink...no ;)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Nothing will wake me up like a cute pair of shoes, particularly in a bright color :-) Love the sweater - it looks great!! I wish i liked knitting sweaters... I need to convince myself that I do...

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is one Great looking sweater! Plus the person wearing it ain't BAD LOOKING!

As for the shoes I don't want to see them if you can't hand them down to me when you don't want them! They are cute and really match your skirt!

And if you haven't guessed yet it ME! Love, Mom

11:47 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Very cute sweater and I love the shoes!!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Great job - it looks fabulous on you - and those are supercute shoes.

8:49 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

beautiful sweater, and that's a great outfit!

9:22 AM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

The sweater is gorgeous!!! (Also the skirt and shoes too!)

You did a fantastic job of the design!!

11:24 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Fabulous! Love the shoes, too!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It's beautiful. You made it look easy.

Only 35 days? It feels like it's always been hot and always will be hot! Thank goodness the last few days.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

It's GORGEOUS. I love it. :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Very cute. You did a great job.

3:04 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay for top down self designed sweaters! It looks fantastic. Love the lace panel with the color of your tank top peaking through the lace. Very neat.

4:58 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

That looks absolutely fantastic. Go, you!!!!! And I don't know what it is about crazy-hot weather, but I think it induces Sweater Fever. I can't stop knitting sweaters. Seriously.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Marie Grace said...

Awesome! It looks like it fits perfectly.

5:58 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The sweater is great -- I hope the stinkiness is gone! And cute shoes, too!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater!!! Love, Aunt Susan

8:38 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

It's beautiful!!! Looks like it fits perfectly. I'm so bad at even following someone else's sweater pattern, let alone design one. Kudos to you!

Love the matching shoes!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Awesome job! I too add my hopes that the stink isn't a permanent thing...but I have noticed some yarns/knitted items smell AWEFUL the first couple times I wash them. One was a hat that was going to be a gift, and seriously washed it about five times before it started to smell like wet wool instead of wet possum...or something road-killy.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Very cute! I like the whole outfit too. I hope the stink was just a coincidence.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Holy stinking mothblls batman! That's a lovely knit! Hopefully the smell fades after a while....

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home