Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Matcha Matcha Woman

I have no idea how to pronounce "matcha" but I'm going to say it's close to "macho."

I apologize for relative silence round these here parts.

Truth is, not much is going on.

It's hotter than hell outside leaving baking to a minimum.

The only thing on my needles right now is a black sweater which is lame to try to photograph.

My sewing machine could use some tinkering around with and I'm just not in the mood. But I did do some back up work for Big Name Sewing Machine Company Attorney this week and I slipped him the Big Name Sewing Machine model I've been eyeballing. Hee hee!

However, one of my cell cube-mates is having a birthday tomorrow.

I flipped through my recipe books trying to find a cookie that spoke to his inner-dessert and I think I found it.

100_9153

Matcha cookies.

Matcha is a powdered Japanese green tea.

What you see in the picture above is NOT true matcha. I didn't find this out until I got home.

Yes, I realize that the label says it's not true matcha. I had a Mooch with me at the store.

I was a bit miffed because I had to make a special trip to Wholier Than Thou Foods to purchase what I thought was matcha. Ends up it's a green tea/match blend.

No worries. I just ground up the tea to a fine powder in the old baby food grinder I used for Mooch and Chunky before they grew a mouthful of chompers.

I was afraid these cookies would fall hard.

100_9157

The verdict?

Not bad! Despite the fact my camera sucks and these cookies look totally nastacular, they're a light green color and a nice balance of chewy-crispy.

They don't really taste like green tea though. But like Dr. Mad Scientist pointed out, they're like sugar cookies--but with anti oxidants!

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what TV show that mug is from. I've been lusting after a Fire King Jade-ite Standard D-Handle mug for a while and finally found one for less than $20. Yeah, yeah, I know. I had some birthday money to spend.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

So, did youneed to fire up the oven to bake the cookies? Or did you just stick the cookie sheet out in the sun?

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! I like what Carol says!

I thnk the mug is from "The Office".

The cookies look like they came out A-Ok.

Love, Mom

9:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a thoughtful coworker you are - I wish you worked in my office!

I have no clue where the mug came from - the only TV I watch anymore is the occasional cartoon with the kids. By the time they go to bed, I'm usually too tired to watch anything!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Did I ever show you my Fire King salt and pepper shakers? They were a wedding gift to my grandparents back in 1933. I started collecting the greenware back years ago, right about the same time that Bitch Martha Stewart featured it on her show and drove the prices sky high. You used to be able to pick it up for a song...not now. I covet the canister set that matches my s&p set. *sigh*

10:29 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those cookies still look delicious! Love your mug too!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

They look great! Anything that even resembles a sugar cookie is right up my slley.

No clue where the mug is from. I'm sorely lacking in pop culture.

4:18 AM  
Blogger JRS said...

Mad Men? I adore Fireking. That mug would go for about $120 in Japan. I always thought I needed to start a rural-Missouri junkshop (where FK wares abound) to Japan export business.

Pronunciation: Mah (as in Mama, just longer)-tcha.

I love Matcha flavored anything! The cookies sounds great.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Rocky Moreno said...

If you can combine sweet & yummy with good for you, that's always good.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I had no idea what all Fire King was before this post. I don't watch enough TV to guess where it might be from, so no bonus points for me.

I love DMS's description of the cookies, anti oxidants make everything seem healthier, right?

9:22 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

no clue on the tv show but that mug has quite a name to live up to.

9:50 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Damn, I came here to see what TV show the mug came from, only to see that everyone else is as clueless as I am. Well, at least that makes me feel better!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Green tea cookies and jade mug, so chic! Sorry, I got no idea about the teevee show.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm craving chocolate chip but I'm afraid that the chips are already melted into one big blobby chip down in my un air conditioned kitchen and I'm really afraid to go and look.

I wondered if Matcha is similar to South American Mate (as in Yerba Mate). It's got a stimulant in it and is a favorite tea like drink in Brazil. That could make for some interesting cookies!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Sounds yummy!

4:40 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

You are such an adventurous cookie maker. Not me. I have my three "standards" and that's pretty much it! I'm gonna just throw out a random guess and say "That 70s Show" but I have no idea on the mug.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I didn't know about these mugs. How special could they be when my Aunt June had them in her kitchen, I ask you. Don't know what show the mug is from, but kudging by what I've just learned my guess is The Honeymooners.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous SiressYorkie said...

Were the coffee mugs on The Brady Bunch or summat??

And I agree with Wholier Than Thou...man, you described it to a T. Only I refer to it as, Up Its Own Arse Food Store, and the one I go to is near NC State...so the folks at the till are dreadlocked, pierced, self-righteous snooty vegans who chug coffee by the gallon and look at me like I am single-handedly causing the downfall of society if I buy non-fair trade choccie for Max to nosh. I used to fry their circuits by saying "No thanks, I live in ENGLAND" in a perfect Yorkshire accent when they tried to put me on their mailing list...now I think when I return, I'll swear at them auf Deutsch and adopt a European Look of Disgust as I strut out the door to my waiting Volvo.

But I digress. Isn't Matcha supposed to be bitter and frothy when it's mixed as a tea? Isn't it what they use in tea ceremonies?

The cookies look yummy, either way...

1:27 PM  
Blogger dmcL said...

It's the Giles mug from Buffy!! That's fantastic!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home