Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Hello Salty (Peanut) Goodness!

Boss #5 has been pissing me off lately.

At 3:30 every day he hits the vending machines and gets a bag of potato chips. That's fine, whatever, this is America, freedom of speech, freedom of snacks and all that. But he is the LOUDEST eater ever!

Dilbert.com

I swear to cats, it's bad enough I have to hear him lip smacking and munching his lunch, but then the crunching of potato chips every damn day?

Dilbert.com

There's only one cure for the fact I'm not too popular--

Salted Peanut Chews!

Salty, sweet, and best yet--SILENT to eat! Ha ha!

Y'all asked, and y'all shall receive.

Recipe adapted from--
100_9272
Gifted to me by the lovely Beth!

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter/margarine softened
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mini Marshmallows

Topping:
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter/margarine
2 cups peanut butter chips
2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Blend together your butter and sugar and add flour and the rest of the dry ingredients. Keep blending in the vanilla and egg yolks. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a 13"x9" baking pan (ungreased). Bake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes or until it becomes golden brown.

When it's done baking, take it out of the oven and sprinkle enough mini marshmallows on top of the crust to cover the crust. The original recipe calls for 3 cups, but I found that didn't cover the crust good enough--I needed a little more. Don't double layer the marshmallows, just put one layer down so that not too much crust is exposed.

Pop the pan back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes--until the marshmallows start to puff up.

Take out the pan and let it cool.

While it's cooling, melt the butter, corn syrup, and peanut butter chips in a saucepan on the stovetop until smooth. Once smooth, take it off the heat and add in 2 cups of the rice crispy cereal and the 2 cups of peanuts. Spread this topping over your pan.

Cool in the fridge until they're firm.

100_9288

After cooling--enjoy the silent munching of these chewy delicious cookies!

Want more cookies? Tomorrow is the debut of the Fall 2010 issue of Knit Circus!

Holy crap--go look! I'm not a shawl person, but that little red number is tempting!!!

And go check out Elizabeth's incredible Stone Henley that's going to be included in this issue as well. Love it!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! I just put on 188 Lbs!!! Those cookies look that good!!

Love, Mom

Sorry about Boss#5. Could you have him/her put behind door #1?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Thank you!!! I can't wait to try these!!

Oh, we had a girl who was the loudest chip eater ever. After awhile we couldn't take it anymore, so when she crunched, we'd take turns going NOMNOMNOM. She got the hint after awhile and started chewing more quietly. But I doubt you can do that to your boss, fooey.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was at the shore on Friday, too, but I was in Atlantic City. Next time I'm going to the beach and swim. Poor Moochie, the ocean is such a big place. And it moves.

I love the cookie recipe. I'll get the ingredients and make some when I go shopping again. We got some peaches at a stand on Friday and they have been the best peaches I've ever eaten. They didn't even make it into a pie shell.

7:16 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

mmm, that sounds delicious. my mouth is watering.

i just browsed knitcircus. this issue is really good! the patterns just keep getting better.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL about the chips! I guess it's a good thing your boss doesn't eat those Sun Chips that come in a crinkly, eco-friendly, compostable bag. You can't even open the bag without it making a huge amount of noise.

Mmmm, peanut bars! Boy, do I wish I could eat peanuts. : (

8:25 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I think those need something chocolate on top or maybe in with the peanuts...

And that shawl is gorgeous!

9:36 AM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

I am going to have to make your recipe and see if that helps for the guy down the aisle from me who also suffers from crunching way too loudly EVERYDAY!!!

Also thanks for pointing out that henley! I absolutely have to knit that at some point!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thank you for the recipe! Err..well maybe ;)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

La la la la, can't hear your silent snacks!

I think this issue of Knitcircus is the best yet.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I agree with Mom.

Gather your change and buy up all the chips from the vending machine. Remove the source. Then make potato chip cookies. I don't think the noisy eating would bother me, but I do have a little hearing loss.

5:00 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Between oatmeal and kelp, hahaha!

Dude, those cookies look goooooood.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home