Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nosy Neighbor

I was in the neighborhood of the recipient of the sock postcard I recently purchased.

And I couldn't help but take a picture (from my car) of the house that Mrs. Longbotham lived in back in 1939.

100_9316

Glen Ridge is known for it's pretty upscale houses and high median incomes. Given this, the Sock House isn't so decadent.

100_9317
Around the corner from Sock House.

The landscaping is a little overgrown and the house could use a new coat of paint. But it looks like it was a decent house back in its day.

It was built back in 1908. Which is fairly recent for Glen Ridge.

100_9318
Along with their uber-elite schools, Glen Ridgeians claim their fame by their gaslit street lamps.

Doing a teeny tiny bit of research, I found an old advertisement for a house a little ways away from Sock House up for sale in 1920. That house had five master bedrooms, two servants bedrooms and bathrooms, a double heated garage, two tiled bathrooms and a sleeping porch. Going for the grand sum of $50,000.

Dr. Mad Scientist and I have looked at houses for sale on that same road (out of morbid curiosity to see how the other half lives!) and many of them go for around a million.

Sock House doesn't look quite that nice.

Finally, I'll leave you with a crappy drive-by shot of the Post Office where the postcard was postmarked.

100_9320

Cute huh? One thing I'll miss when we leave the East Coast is all these textbook old time buildings.

I mean back in 1939 when this postcard made it to Mrs. Longbotham, my hometown was only 4 years old and people were walking their cows downtown and living in their newly finished cabins!

Palmer

palmercabin

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous SiressYorkie said...

Those houses are exactly the kind I want to buy and settle in. Tall and beautiful, nice back yard for playing and camping overnight, screened in porch. Tree-lined streets, flags waving, the smell of apple pies cooling on a sill...aaahhh...

And my WF is "bless". Maybe it's a sign!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful houses! I agree with Siress Yorkie - my thoughts exactly! Old houses are the best!

But wow though - you sure don't get a whole lot of house for a million dollars there on the East Coast! A similar house, in a top of the line, wealthy suburban school district here in the Cleveland area would go for about half that.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow, that was really neat to actually see where she lived. I love old buildings too. So much character. The house we're in now is an old victorian and while it's updated inside, the outside is pretty and makes me happy to look at. If only I wasn't renting it, haha.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Am I the only one who caught the "when we leave the east coast..." where are you itching to go now??? :) When we renewed the lease on my apartment this year I was so ecstatic that I wouldn't have to bust out the moving boxes for at least another year!!! I think I'm ready to settle down someplace for a bit, methinks...where that is though? Not a clue.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, those old homes are nice! I like to look at them and try and figure out the room divide, and how many there are.
Tactless Wonder, they are thinking of coming back up here so that I can SPOIL those sons of hers!!!
Love, Mom

6:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks for sharing your sock house spying mission! Don't blame you for wanting to go home. I've been trying to for years!! Here's hoping very soon we will be closer to that dream.

7:28 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

What a cool house. Thanks for the tour!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Thanks for the glimpse of Sock House. I wonder how far back in time one would have to go to see cows on the street in Glen Ridge.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I love history and houses :-)

1:56 PM  
Blogger LBorealis said...

Oooh, fancy neighborhood! Love the sock house, even if it need an old coat of paint. Our current apartment dates back to the early 1920s - it's a walk-up, and the stairwell walls were never finished: they're the old boards that were supposed to be plastered over. There are cracks between the boards and I always wonder what errant letters and papers were slipped between the cracks! Old mysteries are such fun.

3:38 PM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

So interesting - especially that real estate prices were always crazy around here!

8:04 AM  
OpenID artfulstarfish said...

So interesting - especially that real estate prices were always crazy around here!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home