Monday, August 09, 2010

Simple Pleasures

The temperature this weekend was cool.

I would love to know when I started thinking that 80-85 degrees was "cool."

I got a hankering for pickles. I blame knottygnome.

For the price of a jar of Claussen kosher pickle spears from the grocery store, I made 8 pints of my own pickles.

100_9300

I used regular cucumbers, not pickling cukes.

Oooo! So wrong!!!

Whatever. The only difference between regular cukes and pickling cukes is the amount of seeds. Regular ones have more that allegedly get mushy and gross when you pickle them.

All you have to do to get around this is trim away some of the seeds on your spears.

Then I broke up a bunch of dill, stuck a generous spriggage in each jar along with a slice of onion and a clove of garlic.

Toss in the spears, pour in the boiled brine, put in the water bath to seal and voila--pickley goodness!

100_9298

There was one jar that took a little bit to seal so I decided it was defective* and tossed it in the fridge.

Sunday Chunky and I got down on the pickles.

Holy mother of Fatzah! I am a homemade pickle convert! They are so good!

A little saltier/tangier than I'd like, but still so damn good.

Oh and did I also mention I made 7 half pints of peach jam?

100_9303

Yeah and I might have finished some boring socks too.

100_9307

How I get anything done with this little monkey underfoot, I'll never know.

100_9308

That's better. Just a plain jane pair of cotton socks made from Online summer sock yarn.

Next up on the TV knitting--Christmas presents. That's right people, it's never too early for Christmas!



*Flimsy excuse to get my pickle on!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Those look so awesome!! :)
I like some homemade pickles and some I could do without. Glad you liked those!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

It's too bad I don't like pickles. never have. Still don't. I try em every so often incase my tastebuds have changed. Especially when I hear people raving about homemade pickles. Sigh.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very impressive! My daughter is a pickle fiend - she'll go through a jar by herself in a matter of days.

I read your comment on Christina's blog - a biracial Raggedy Ann doll would have been awesome! I bought my daughter a black Raggedy Ann doll when she was a baby, but she got ahold of some scissors when she was about 4, and mangled the doll beyond repair. Guess it was better than something like her trying to cut her own hair!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hm, I wonder if that pickling technique would work with other vegetables....

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I liked pickles!
I do like your socks and it looks like Moochie likes them also!
In years to come you will look back and see that it was Moochie being underfoot that got your things done cause without him you will see you won't get anything done! (I have been there and done that!)Love, Mom

12:30 AM  
Blogger Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

If you were closer, I would keep you supplied in cucumbers. I only planted one cumcumber plant and I have more cukes than I know what to do with. I've been giving them away. I am not a big pickle, well, not a cucumber pickle fan. I have made several pints/quarts of pickled okra and carrots.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

Wow, I've never tried homemade pickles. Though I'm not on big on pickles, though hubby loves them. I don't know how you get so much done with two kiddos either! My one keeps me busy, haha. Nice socks!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

The pickles look great! I'll have to try that sometime.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am a homemade pickle fan. We've made bread and butter pickles (sweet) and dill pickles and have loved them both. But for some reason, this summer I am not motivated to do the work involved.

I love online summer sock yarn. It is boring knitting but the socks look great.

7:10 AM  
OpenID pyewacketsid said...

I made 8 pints of pickles that look just like that, but alas, taste like ass. I have a flat-topped stove that doesn't get quite hot enough for effective canning, and they cooked too long in my attempt to Kill All Botulism. Mushy, slimy, cooked-tasting... *sob*

I'm glad yours turned out! You've inspired me to try, try again. With a coil burner.

The peach jam looks AWESOME. You using the Ball book? The recipe for blueberry-lime jam is divine.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Love pickles, haven't tried making them myself... and I also think 85 degrees is cool... I'm so screwed when I get back to new england this weekend, since it's been more like mid 70s here at my parents' place. Keen to see the Christmas knitting; it's never too early for Christmas!!

4:06 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I had never canned before last Christmas. I'm thinking I need to buy some decent equipment and make pickles! We were talking about pickled carrots today....

Also - I'll be when my grandmothers were making pickle, there weren't special pickling cukes.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..reminds me of the year of Pickles...never has been repeated ;) (not cause I didn't like them though) The jam looks good!

You know, I find that I did so much more when my two were young like Moochie...now not...hmmm

Ahhh simple stockinette socks, nice!

8:49 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I love pickles. Perhaps I need to try that. Hmmm ...

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

OMG I want that peach jam!! Have you ever made pickled sour tomatos? The green ones?? I used to do that all the time with tons of garlic. Sigh,, I should have put up tomato plants this year.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Mr SABLE is the canning meister at our house. The whole thing intimidates me, but I really appreciate it when he does it. And help out, if possible. My favorites are hot dilly beans and spicy corn relish.

Your pickles look awesome.

10:06 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

MMMM, I love pickles. So you don't have to boil the jars and do the whole preserve thing like with jam? And what is this boiled brine you speak of? If it's really that easy, I may have to make some!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I too seem to get more done when I have deadlines and folks wanting stuff from me...hmmm, never get much done as a hermit I guess...

2:52 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

nice! yayyyy pickles. and yeah we used regular cucumbers too.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home