Monday, September 20, 2010

Dog Days Are Over

Fall is coming!

The B boys have shed their summer hair.

100_9555
Can you believe I was able to cut Moochie's hair? I did it one evening as he brushed his teeth. Got hair everywhere, but hey, I got it cut!

It's finally chilly enough in the morning to wear sweaters.

100_9557
That's the Mi Escuela Rosi G. knit for Mooch--it still fits!

And it's time for some delicious fall-ish baked goods.

100_9569

Applesauce gingerbread! Oh YUM!

I wish I had time to show you more. Alas, most of my knitting is Top Secret Gift Knitting and I've been working.

I wish I was young and naive like I was when I first started blogging because the stories I could tell you about the characters (one in particular) at work. I could keep you quite entertained.

Alas, you'll just have to settle for applesauce gingerbread.

1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup molasses
1 teas. baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teas. cinnamon
1/2 teas. ground ginger
1/4 teas. ground cloves.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Heat the applesauce in a small saucepan on the stove till boiling. Add in the baking and soda and molasses and remove from heat.

In a separate bowl combine the oil, sugar and eggs. Alternate adding the flour and spices with the applesauce mixture into the wet ingredients until everything is mixed together smoothly.
Pour into an 8"x8" baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean.

In response to some of you who said "But what do you do with apple butter?" to my apple butter post, this is a great example.

I substituted applebutter for applesauce in this recipe. As such (good lord, I work for too many attorneys -- "as such"!), I cut the spices down to 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of cloves.

Mmmmm...sayonara summer!!!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

What an awesome way to celebrate fall...I mean the applesauce gingerbread.

If I could get away with buzzing my "summer hair" I would...Also a great tradition.

8:39 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I love fall. Starts tomorrow! Maybe I'll try your recipe when I get home ...

8:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The therapists I type for love to say "as well as" rather than just a simple "and ...." It's irritating sometimes. Often, I'll just change the wording around so that it's not so convoluted. I mean, speak English, people. Seriously.

Your baked goods always sound so scrumptious! I need you to come and teach me how to bake ;).

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That Moochman almost made me fall off my ball!! He looks really cute in that sweater. It is getting cool in the mornings there and we are thinking of winter coats for the mornings here!!

Those men of yours look very handsome with their hair cuts!

I have been eating applesauce up here for a while. Next year is going to be the year of the crabapple tree!!! Of my own anyway!!

Love, Mom

10:15 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I made banana bread last week. I'll give your ginger recipe a shot - sounds great.
Moochie is still so cute. Love his tiny little shoes :0)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love fall. And what a cute sweater on the little guy. Adorable.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I will totally blame you when we hit 90 degrees tomorrow! You're not supposed to notice/celebrate the end of summer until it snows. Summer has feelings and if you hurt them, she will bite you in the ass.

I love gingerbread and always look forward to that and homemade spce cookies (somehow they don't taste the same when the weather is warm)

7:03 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

mmm, that sounds delicious. i'm enjoying the sweater weather and it looks like moochie is too.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Something tells me the boys get their head shape from you...

12:37 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I am going to have to try the recipe for Apple Gingerbread thanks for sharing it. I am happy fall is hear but not really looking forward to Winter.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

wait wait wait... I have all of those ingredients!!! I need my grocer to start stocking pumpkins, too, so I can get on the spicy baking.

I home-buzz N.'s hair too, usually at the beginning of the summer, but it's getting ratty, so I might have to give it another go :-)

9:41 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Ooooo, applesauce gingerbread - I would so be making that right now. If, that is, it weren't 100 FREAKING DEGREES. Effing California.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home