Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Out With the Old...

Continuing on with the them of out with the old, in with the new, I give you "What I did this last weekend."

I realize the weekend was three days ago...but I worked late Monday night and yesterday I was still catching up from working 6.5 hours of OT on Monday!

So without further whining, I give you a tale of two aprons.

Back in the day. Probably nearly 10 years ago when I was a sweet innocent not-so-newly wed, I wanted an apron.

So I bought a canvas apron blank from Joanns. This must have been the Michigan Years right after Chunky was born. Circa 2002 or 2003.

I took my apron and I lady-bugafied it with some stamps and puffy paint.

100_9592
Oh yeah...look at them pasty white chubby things!

See how filthy it is? I love to wipe my hands on myself when I'm baking or cooking or cleaning.

How domestic!

But the apron was getting old. And ripped.

100_9596

It was time to find a new apron. Now that I've tamed the Beast (my sewing machine), I figured I could make one.

During a 99 cent McCall's pattern sale I bought this pattern with the intent of making View A without the bottom ruffle.

But I kept putting it off.

Because I'm a creature of habit and I LOVE my green apron, I didn't want to give it up. I knew nothing could replace it.

I love the style and I knew no new apron I could make from a pattern could come close.

Then I had my ta-da moment! Which, in hindsight, is pretty obvious.

I traced my green apron on some newspaper and made my own pattern--duh!!

Behold!

100_9599

It fits like a dream!

100_9598
Ooo! Pasty white thighs, fuzzy hair AND a double chin! Sexay!

Goodbye green apron!! It was nice knowing you!

I love the cheery flowers on the brown background. It will hide those floured hand wipes nicely!

100_9600

And what did I do to break in my new apron?

100_9601

Egg bread! (Or Challah if you will...)

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

Adorable! And the bread looks absolutely nummy, too.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Kelli said...

heh. love it.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Just love that fabric!! Bread..oh wow, looks delicious...I kill yeast, yeah, can't make bread worth a damn...

9:15 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Cute! Love the fabric!

10:20 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I love the new apron the pattern on it is cool. The bread looks yummy & there is no chub on those thighs.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Awesome idea! I did the same for years but PJ bottoms.

Hmm, you give me the best ideas, lady....

11:25 PM  
Blogger Crafty Christina said...

It's great! That fabric is awesome by the way! Yum, challah bread. It makes excellent french toast. As an aside, how awesome is it that a cheapo apron from Joanns lasted 7-8 years?

4:22 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

First of all, your challah looks professional. Wow! I want some!

And I love the apron, but mostly I love how it looks like you're posing in it with no pants on. Very saucy!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have discovered that i need a new apron, too. I just need to find some nice washable fabric that I can wipe my hands on. (I do that too).

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you watched the cooking show lately? They don't wear aprons but they all have towels tied around their waists and they are forever wiping their hands on them!

Your apron turned out real cute! The bread looks good enough to eat right off the screen!

Love, Mom

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute apron fabric.

I think you need to open your own bakery. Your bread looks great & I'm sure it tastes the same way.

Love, Aunt Susan

7:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The apron is totally cute - I love the fabric!

Between all the overtime (6.5 hours overtime in one day?!), baking, sewing, knitting, and two little kids at home, when do you find time to sleep? You're Superwoman!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I remember when I was young enough to bake......before I discovered that there were no dishes to clean up if you went to a bakery....

As an aside: I purchased a recycled fiber apron for $2.99 from a local department store.

9:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! great print.

i love challah. i should make some myself this weekend.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Adorable!
Yum on the challah.

2:07 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I am extremely impressed both by your new apron and with your bread!

10:29 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

FAB apron! Love it! And oooo, bread...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

what nice fabric! and agreat challah!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home