Sunday, October 03, 2010

Falling In

As I put away the latest goodies my favorite mommy sent me, it occurred to me that I have quite the mini-collection of "vintage" knitophilia.

100_9603

Most of it was gifted, some of it was found (the Reynolds sweater pattern) in an old knitting book I bought, some of it I purchased (Mrs. Longbotham's sock pattern) and some was handed down (a poncho/cape pattern my Great Aunt sent away for back in the day--my Grandma sent it to me when she was cleaning out Great Aunt's stash after she passed away).

A couple of you expressed interest in seeing the knitting comic book that my favorite mommy just sent me.

100_9604

The cover is the best part--I just wish I could figure out when it was published. There's nothing in here stating the same. If I had to guess based on the price of the pamphlet, I'd say the 40s????

Anyway...here's a few shots of the inside:

100_9605

100_9606

I like the way the conversation bubbles appear to be emanating from the knitting. Even when the girl is in the frame!

Let the knitting do the talking I suppose.

100_9607

The back pages is pictures of the little projects you can make with your newfound knitting skills.

My favorite is the creepy little "Funny Face Kerchief." Yikes. I wonder what that FO would say if it could talk?

"I'm watching you!"

And speaking of vintage knitting--It just occured to me that the backdrop of my pictures could be considered the same. This is an afghan my grandma made me back was around (maybe a little older) Chunky's age.

Back then my favorite colors were pink and midnight blue. Even more yikes!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Christina said...

The face kerchief is awesome beyond words, haha.
Amazing that your Grandma's quilt is still in use after all these years. I can only hope my grandkids will appreciate my handmades the same way.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

What's with that kerchief? It's creepy as all getout!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Check out thecherrychic on Etsy for some vintage Bear Brand yarn in, ahem, your favourite blue.

Great collection. I have a bunch of vintage mags. I used to love looking through my mom's mags from the 1960's. Wish she'd kept them.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like you have a collection going on there! I'm glad that I could add to it.

I was going to say that your back drop was quite appropriate being the afghan that your Grandma knitted you!! Acrylic yarn will last forever!

Love, Mom

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

The knitting is doing the talking, hee hee. That kerchief has a whole lot of wrong going on~

3:16 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Bizarre kerchief. I am not a fan of eyes on my clothes, but maybe that's just me.

I have a WWII sock pamphlet which assumes a certain level of skill. It's cool imagining women of all ages making socks for soldiers.

4:58 PM  
Blogger janna said...

You mean your knitting doesn't talk to you?

10:22 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I have a few pamphlets like that from my Mom - and the weird thing is that there is no copyright date or anything else inside to give a clue as to the publishing date.

4:11 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

maybe the kerchief is so that you can tell her your kids that you have eyes in the back of your head. hence the semi-appropriate creepiness.

9:25 AM  
Blogger CBear said...

I totally want the pattern for the little head warmer in the upper left corner! So cute!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home